Page 1 of 3
Hey!

In these days I´m planning a course for guitar players who wants to improve their guitar sound. Yeah, it´s mostly about how your wire your amps, cabinets, effects and so on.

And now I need Your help!

Can you give me some feedback on these questions:

1. What´s your number one tip on how to gain great guitar sound?
2. What do new guitar player struggle with when it comes to great guitar sound?

Thanks up front!

Malene

PS:This is NOT:
*A how to play the guitar course
*A analog v.s digital dicussion
Last edited by MusicMalene at Sep 7, 2009,
1. know how to EQ your amp effectively.
2. the pressure put on them buy guitar sales staff to buy crap low end gear. i struggled with this myself.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

1. High quality leads or cables are a must , especially with tube amps
2. Wanting to sound like famous guitarists e.g slash , hendrix etc...
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
Stress that the key to sounding good isn't some magical amp, guitar or effect pedal - it's in your fingers, and the love you have for music and the feeling you get when you have a guitar pressed against your torso will come out no matter what.
Tiger style.
Whenst using many effects (if you really feel you must use a lot of effects), get a good quality power supply that won't suck out your overall tone.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.
1) Never underestimate the importance of speakers - the right ones in the right type of cab will make a massive difference.

2) They almost always fall prey to amp makers' PR departments, or poor advice from friends/salespeople/forums. Common misconceptions:

- Only a halfstack is good enough, combos are only for practice etc
- The more wattage, the better
- If it's got the same badge on the front as your hero plays, you'll sound just like them (Buying a Marshall MG because Slash used a Silver Jubilee etc)
- Tube amps are 'a hassle' to maintain
- New pickups are more important than a new guitar/amp (you hear that a lot on kiddy forums like this)
practice practice practice.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Mids are your friend.

Use the least amount of gain you can get away with - in the long run, you will sound much cleaner.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
1. scoop your mids...lol I'm joking thats just my prefrence... dont look at the EQ controls, listen to them, close your eyes and turn them till you find something you like.
2. New players always use so much gain... too much gain... way too much gain. To me its all about being able to play well on the clean channel everything else is a layer on top of that... thats why I use a 6505+...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Mute or dont hit strings that your not supposed to be playing.
Quote by MusicMalene
Hey!

In these days I´m planning a course for guitar players who wants to improve their guitar sound. Yeah, it´s mostly about how your wire your amps, cabinets, effects and so on.

And now I need Your help!

Can you give me some feedback on these questions:

1. What´s your number one tip on how to gain great guitar sound?
2. What do new guitar player struggle with when it comes to great guitar sound?

Thanks up front!

Malene

PS:This is NOT:
*A how to play the guitar course
*A analog v.s digital dicussion

1. Listen, then listen some more. Pay attention to every detail of your playing and sound and compare it to the sounds you are looking for.
2. taking the time to really get it RIGHT. lolz checks mah clips wut mah cellphone mic just isn't even worth it.
Don't scoop your mids.
Pay attention to how your specific amp is voiced and learn to EQ it properly, the same settings won't work on every amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
what ever guitar you get wont make you play better, a lot of beginners want the big les pauls etc. master your guitar, become good, know your equiptment and then think about spending big
1-Try to follow the sound in your head rather than trying to emulate another guitarist or by trying to do whats 'cool'
2-Lack of knowledge (in regards to gear, eqing, technique, etc)
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mids are your friend.

Use the least amount of gain you can get away with - in the long run, you will sound much cleaner.

+1, particularly the second one.

TS, I suggest a visit to amptone.com as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Simply learning the importance of an amp in your sound is the biggest tip. A lot of beginners put a lot of importance on getting an awesome gibson or jackson or something. But then they're just stuck playing a nice guitar through a crappy shoebox amp. Also learning how to equalize your amp to get the sound you want is equally as important.
Quote by matttt
Whenst using many effects (if you really feel you must use a lot of effects), get a good quality power supply that won't suck out your overall tone.

i dont think the power supply affects your tone, directly at least.

unless ofcourse its the wrong volt or mA~ rating.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

1 - The fastest way to develop phenomenal sound is to develop phenomenal technique.

2 - The biggest issue I see with newer players is that they think they will sound better by buying better gear, when in fact the only way to sound substantially better is by improving one's ability to play, i.e., improving your technique.

Granted you can get a "better" tone with better gear, but not in a very meaningful sense.

Case in point, Johnny Newbie sounds pretty much like Johnny Newbie whether he's playing a Peavey Rage or a Peavey 6505, whereas Van Halen sounds pretty much like Van Halen whether he's playing a Peavey Rage or a Peavey 6505.
There are no magical amp settings. Even bringing numbers into it is rediculous, you should let your ear tell you where the knob is at.

And also not uber-gain (unless your Gut ).

And stacking subtle effects to create the end sound, versus a whole lotta flange or whatever.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Be yourself

And stay away from schecter guitars and line 6 spider amps hahaha
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
Be yourself

And stay away from schecter guitars

O.o
Realize that (to an extent) most people other than yourself won't give a flying **** about the intricacies of your tone, and that time spent fine-tuning and obsessing is time that could be spent getting better or writing a good song. Get a good basic sound, and then make it great by improving your playing.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
O.o

Lol I just wanted to see the reaction I got with that one hahaha!! Seems like schecter guitar company owns this website sometimes
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

And stacking subtle effects to create the end sound, versus a whole lotta flange or whatever.

Good advice, but only for some styles
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Leave the bass to the bass guitar, 9l 3m 10h is not a good EQ

The less distortion the better, having a strong punchy bass that is well controled with a nice growl adds a lot of that "heavyness" that hardrock/metal bands want.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
set everything pn your amp to ten

play triplets on your low e

for solos hit random notes on the high end of your fret board

WELL DONE

you can play like Kerry King

have an apple
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
1. be patient. take some time to really listen to your tone as you turn knobs, change guitars, turn up volume, etc. just really listen closely and eq according to what you are hearing. dont eq with your eyes. if you find that your tone sounds great with the mids on 3, keep it. just because people tell you not to scopp mids, doesnt mean thats the only tone you can have. maybe you dont want to sound like all those other mid loving freaks :p

2. a good, solid amp is the core of your tone. you can refine it with a nicely made guitar, upgraded pickups, good speakers, pedals, and good cables, but all of that effort can be in vain if the beginning of your tone is lacking. the amp doesnt have to be super expensive, but it needs to meet your tone needs, and be built solidly.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
1) Practise with band members, i used to boost the bass and scoop the mids so much because i was playing on my own to get a nice metal tone, but when you mix it with the rest its sounds like shiz.

2) The excess gain issue and also how neebies rely to much on forums or advertising to choose there gear, go out and play the **** people may say that pedal 'X' cant handle gain but in your ears it may be heaven. Use the forums as a guide line.
The Merchant Of the Resident Evil Club
]

Quote by hminh87
What is that big hole at the neck joint for?

Quote by Hoodoo Child
the neck?
1. Know how to work a EQ. and have a nice EQ listen to everything you play and EQ tell you get what you want

2. Don't fall into the "Big market" amps (MG's, spiders.)
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by rdobson2
Lol I just wanted to see the reaction I got with that one hahaha!! Seems like schecter guitar company owns this website sometimes

It used to be Ibanez...companies reign in waves around here.
Quote by papersun87
It's been said, but it can't be repeated enough:

TUNE

Good point.

I would suggest playing as many guitars as you can to figure out what you like based on your on opinion, not signature models or favorite artists' gear but what you personally want. Play as many amps good and bad as you can to develop your ear.
An MG might sound good now, but try something better, and then even better and see what happens.

Finally, focus on the playing/writing/performing/fun aspect of guitar. A good sound will only get you so far, if you're not enjoying playing even through an MG than you really shouldn't be playing.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
1) Try things, even if you have no idea how it will sound, just play around, you never know when you'll stumble on to something great.

2) In my opinion it's important to get good cables early. Crackling and cutting out can kill your mood to play, especially starting out. Alos if you're getting crackling or sound cutting out you really want to be able to figure out what the cause it, and if you've got quality cables that's one thing you can count out as the source. I spent hours with my first guitar and amp tinkering with them trying to diagnose why there was crackling and it turns out I just had a poor quality cable.
Quote by lumberjack
It used to be Ibanez...companies reign in waves around here.
Ibanez are awesome though! Can't wait to get a RG550 XD

Above all else, play before you pay. Atleast play an amp like it (I.E. Sunn if you are looking at a V-22). I am sure that a lot of people get the Ampeg like I have thinking they will be playing Necrophagist with it. But if you LOVE the tone of a certain peice of equipment, and its an odd-ball for what you play, **** em, ya know?
Know how to solder! Soldering iron's are cheap and they even come in simple kits. There's soo many uses for them when your playing guitar and they'll save you loads of money in the long run.
Quote by acdclandon

if you're not enjoying playing even through an MG than you really shouldn't be playing.

Excellent point. If you don't enjoy playing even on a **** amp/guitar then you shouldn't be playing at all.

And once again: TUNE YOUR ****ING GUITAR!
I swear to god I'm going to butcher my brother with his own guitar if I hear him playing horribly out of tune again
Page 1 of 3