The budget is roughly £300 - 400, and im looking for something that'll give a good alternative sound, in the style of Muse, Radiohead etc. This is the kind of music that the (casual) band im in generally plays, but i enjoy playing everything from metal to classical, so itll need to be a versatile beast. A H-H pick-up arrangement would be nice but not essential.

Any suggestions? Also what amp would you recommend i play it through?

Cheers
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by barfrog
The budget is roughly £300 - 400, and im looking for something that'll give a good alternative sound, in the style of Muse, Radiohead etc. This is the kind of music that the (casual) band im in generally plays, but i enjoy playing everything from metal to classical, so itll need to be a versatile beast. A H-H pick-up arrangement would be nice but not essential.

Any suggestions? Also what amp would you recommend i play it through?

Cheers

get a nice mexico fender ... FENDER!!!!
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Washburn WI-66 Pro through a British voiced amp (Orange, Vox) would be great.

EDIT: British voiced would be good for the alt stuff, for versatility you could go for the Laney VC30, which when paired with a POWERFUL distortion pedal, can bring out all metal forms, and by itself is great at classic stuff, and alt.
Last edited by Baby Joel at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by GangsterLi
get a nice mexico fender ... FENDER!!!!

Nah... a Tele!

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Nah... a Tele!

CAN I GET A WOOP WOOP?!
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Well, Matt Bellamy playes £2,000+ Manson customs into Diezel VH4s with quite afew effects...so idont think you'll get a Muse tone

but if you want a nice Radiohead-ish sound, your best bet is a Fender Telecaster. (Thats what they played at Reading anyways...)

something along the lines of - http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=08120217184728

as for amps...i have no clue but Jonny Greenwood uses Vox AC30's as far as ikno
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by Audioslave95
Well, Matt Bellamy playes £2,000+ Manson customs into Diezel VH4s with quite afew effects...so idont think you'll get a Muse tone

Haha yeah i know, the lucky f****r. Im just looking for something that may attempt to come close

Anyway thanks for the suggestions fellas, and keep them coming!!
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

I was looking at Stagg LPs - theyre below my budget, but that way ill be able to spend a fair amount on an amp. Is this a good route to go down?
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

epis are always good, they kick ass in basicly any genre, try the schecter blackjack c1, 24 frets, passive duncans coil with coil tap, its great
Quote by barfrog
I was looking at Stagg LPs - theyre below my budget, but that way ill be able to spend a fair amount on an amp. Is this a good route to go down?

I would personally avoid Stagg. Have a look at Vintage, they tend to be cheaper than epis and are equal or better quality. Tokai are another brand to look at.
Quote by aaronni
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-72-deluxe/12117
Would be ideal if you could stretch your budget or find one used. Bellamy and Greenwood both use tele shaped guitars with humbuckers in the bridge. I imagine it doesn't have the twang of a regular tele but I doubt you'd want to use single coils for Muse.

+1 on this front, i can usually get a pretty decent Radiohead tone from those. those mansons are amazing machines, Hugh litterally did everything Matt wanted and it turned out amazing.

http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/manson-custom-electric-guitars/manson-signature-guitars/mb1-standard/

Save up for a year and get one, it will be made to any spec you want. But dont know if you would wanna follow matts road as he uses some expensive midi gear too
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I would get a deluxe tele, possibly with a tremolo.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Matt actually used to use a Jackson RR in Muse's early days. The thing about alternative and indie is that you can pretty much use any guitar you want.

That said, a Tele would be a great choice, as would a Jazzmaster.
Quote by blue_strat

This.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Perhaps a hollowbody of some sort? I do some guest work with my friends Alternative/Shoegaze band with his guitar and this thing is amazing http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_sheraton_II_bk.htm
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?