So I'm looking into replacing the neck on my Squier Strat with one from Warmoth. And I'm just wondering about what (if any) difference the wood in the neck makes. I know it can make the tone vary with the body wood, but I've never heard anything about necks. Another thing, are there different specs for Fender and Squier necks? Don't wanna end up getting something that doesn't fit.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

In general, the neck wood is going to make less difference in tone on a bolt on than a set neck. Maple will be brighter while mahogany will generally be warmer. Fretboard wood can also have a small impact on tone.

The only thing you need to make sure of spec wise is that it is 22/21 fret 25.5" scale length and that the heel of the neck is cut for a Fender Strat.
same generall neck. email Warmoth with the details about your Strat and the serial and they will tell you everything because theyre really good with specs.

If its a cheap squier then dont bother, it wont really be worth it.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
FWIW TS, you could try a Mighty Mite if you cannot afford to replace the guitar. They tend to run about $100. If there is a guitar show in town, maybe you could go there and see if some parts vendors have a neck for sale.
I have other guitars. I just love my strat, and don't mind putting money into it.
Btw, thank CJ. I think I'ma check out those Mighty Mites

Quote by bogg808

Why do you want to replace the neck? Is there anything wrong with your Squier neck? I would not replace it if it's OK. I am not a big fan of Squiers but their necks are not bad at all.

John
It's really just for after this neck breaks (which it will do at some point..just how my band plays).

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
It's really just for after this neck breaks (which it will do at some point..just how my band plays).

I think you should have more faith in the strength of guitars..

Unless your band plays by yanking the headstocks back and forth with excessively violent movements...
Quote by Pac_man0123
I think you should have more faith in the strength of guitars..

Unless your band plays by yanking the headstocks back and forth with excessively violent movements...

Well, no...But **** happens. And if/when it does. I wanna have something lined up, ya know?

Quote by bogg808

Its honestly not worth it. My bassist put a Fender neck from Warmoth on his Squier Strat and now he has a Strat with huge neck dive. The Squier bodies are really light and arent really weighted to have Fender necks on them. Seriously, you might as well just buy a replacment Strat.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
By the time you buy a neck for your Squire from warmoth, you could get another guitar.
Quote by Ghold125
By the time you buy a neck for your Squire from warmoth, you could get another guitar.

not necessarily. warmoth has TONS in stock, that you could order tomorrow and they'd be on their way to you in a week or two. it's only worth it if a could things are right...

if you're getting another maple neck i would say it's not worth it. fender necks are like rocks, and squier's aren't all that bad either. BUT if you get an exotic neck with no finish on it or something you'll be in great shape. you'd have a great feeling neck, and not more of what you already have. i love exotic necks, nothing feels as good to me. they're not for everybody though. and cutting out the cost of the finish means you can get a nice exotic wood neck for the price of a finished maple one. you'd definitely be coming out ahead.

the point about neck dive is a good one though, squier bodies ARE NOT fender bodies, and weight distribution will be different. especially with a different neck wood.

and don't worry, it'll fit. warmoth only makes 2 kinds of neck heels: strat and tele. as long as long as you don't get a tele neck you'll be good. you could even get something weird and cool like a point jackson-style headstock or something. it'll fit because it's made to fit a fender. warmoth is licensed by fender, so you know it'll fit any strat.

make sure it is 25.5" scale though. probably the most important thing. wrong neck heel can be sanded and made to work, but the wrong scale would screw up everything. they make very few 24.75" scale necks, and you can sort through their in-stock items to make sure you DON'T pick a short neck.

and another cool thing is picking fretwire and the type of nut, plus the tuners. you could have a graphite nut, locking tuners, and stainless steel jumbo fretwire. my kind of neck.

OH and lastly. i saw in your sig it says "single humbucker strat." that means you could get 24 frets if you wanted. adding the extra frets doesn't change the scale length on a fender guitar, but on a normal strat it would be tough to reach that extra 23 and 24 fret. basically the reason you couldn't get more than 22 frets on a normal strat is the neck pickup, and if you don't have one then the extra frets won't hit anything, and you're safe.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
yeah, the cheapest warmoth necks you might find would be around $200 or so. and the cheapest exotic wood necks would be maybe $270. it would be worth getting for a nice upgrade to a fender, but for a squier? probably not. unless you were planning on upgrading one piece at a time and maybe getting a body later.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by utmbarto
Its honestly not worth it. My bassist put a Fender neck from Warmoth on his Squier Strat and now he has a Strat with huge neck dive. The Squier bodies are really light and arent really weighted to have Fender necks on them. Seriously, you might as well just buy a replacment Strat.

He's right u know... the body of fender and squire are different in term of their weight...