Page 1 of 2
Is it the lyrics? The riffs? A combination of both? Or just the fact that there's breakdowns in it?

I've always pondered this, because Children of Bodom have Metalcore sounding riffs sometimes, but they're considered Speed/Power Metal, so yeah. Just wanting to get this cleared up, lol.

Thanks guys!
Children of Bodom have never been considering power metal. Ever.

They were melodeath last time I checked.

Honestly, have you listened to metalcore vocals at all? They sound absolutely different from what you hear in most metal.

Aside from that, this topic has been discussed far too many times in the metal forum and in here i'm sure.
Quote by severed-metal
Children of Bodom have never been considering power metal. Ever.

They were melodeath last time I checked.

Honestly, have you listened to metalcore vocals at all? They sound absolutely different from what you hear in most metal.

Aside from that, this topic has been discussed far too many times in the metal forum and in here i'm sure.

Just going by what Wikipedia said.

And yes, I do listen to Metalcore. I love All That Remains, Chimaira, etc. The only REAL difference I hear is that they have clean choruses in most of their songs.
COB is melodic death metal. Metalcore is melodic music usually having clean sang choruses and the songs include breakdowns sometimes. Metalcore = melodic metal + hardcore (aka breakdowns)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
COB is melodic death metal. Metalcore is melodic music usually having clean sang choruses and the songs include breakdowns sometimes. Metalcore = melodic metal + hardcore (aka breakdowns)

So basically the only thing that separates them is clean choruses and breakdowns then?
depends on what ''subgenre'' you mean by metalcore,

metalcore is the fusion from classic Metal(pantera,Metallica ect) and Hardcore Punk mixc these togeter and you get whats essentially ''Metal-Core''

although the new wave of metalcore fuses classic metal and Mainly Melod-death metal (At the Gates. is a big influance)

generally you can here screaming verses with clean choruses breakdowns and pedaled notes in alot of metalcore,
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by SMB13
So basically the only thing that separates them is clean choruses and breakdowns then?

Not necessarily, because Lamb of God are always classified as metalcore, but they have no clean sung passages.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by SMB13

what do you want me to separate metalcore from? there are a ****load of metal genres. can you tell that it's not thrash, death, sludge, doom, groove, drone, or grind or do we have to break it down and tell you every tiny thing that makes it metalcore and nothing else?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Not necessarily, because Lamb of God are always classified as metalcore, but they have no clean sung passages.

lamb of god is always classified as metalcore but they're not, they're groove metal.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
what do you want me to separate metalcore from? there are a ****load of metal genres. can you tell that it's not thrash, death, sludge, doom, groove, drone, or grind or do we have to break it down and tell you every tiny thing that makes it metalcore and nothing else?

No, I just wanted a confirmation, geez.

No need to get your panties in a bunch
Quote by SPBY
lamb of god is always classified as metalcore but they're not, they're groove metal.

Careful, a lot of people get pissed if you call Lamb of God non-metalcore.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by SMB13
No, I just wanted a confirmation, geez.

No need to get your panties in a bunch

sorry, it did come off kinda douchey. i was just wondering if you were just asking or if you were new to metal altogether.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Careful, a lot of people get pissed if you call Lamb of God non-metalcore.

I bet they get even more pissed off when I call them Pantera rip-offs
Quote by SPBY
sorry, it did come off kinda douchey. i was just wondering if you were just asking or if you were new to metal altogether.

Nah, not new to metal at all. I'm just new as to what separates some of the fusion and subgenres, so yeah.

I always need conformation when someone says something. Comes hand in hand with my OCD, lol.
Quote by severed-metal
I bet they get even more pissed off when I call them Pantera rip-offs

i actually like lamb of god a lot more than pantera. just because they're the same genre i wouldn't call them pantera rip offs at all... you might as well call pantera an exhorder rip off or cannibal corpse a morbid angel rip off

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Well, modern metalcore is basically ripping off melodic death metal anyway, so that's probably where your confusion is coming from. And no, the clean vocals don't make them metalcore, there are plenty of melodeath bands with clean vocals. Metalcore tends to lean toward the generic side, tune to drop C or some dropped tuning, and have open-string chugging breakdowns, not hardcore or groove-metal style breakdowns.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Bury Your Dead definitely aren't hardcore. Hatebreed are on the line.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I haven't listened to either of them extensively because I find them pretty boring, but Bury Your Dead sound pretty metalcore. And the only thing really hardcore about Hatebreed is the vocals.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Metalcore is what you get when a hardcore kids listen to too much Slayer. It's not thrash/groove metal with breakdowns, it's heavy, metallic hardcore from the 90's (metalcore died at the turn of the century). It is more likely than not that 90% of you have never listened to a real hardcore band, nonetheless a metalcore band. Stop posting threads like this.
Can't we just call Botch metalcore and newer bands like AILD and The Devil Wears Prada Nu-Metalcore? It's not an insult it just makes sense to me.
Quote by xRenegadEx
Can't we just call Botch metalcore and newer bands like AILD and The Devil Wears Prada Nu-Metalcore? It's not an insult it just makes sense to me.

i think i might be one of the few that agree with you
Quote by NY_FootBall49
what makes you think you listen to real hardcore now idk who ur fav bands r but thats not the point i don't think the music i listen to is superior. saying what u listen to is right and everything else sux is stupid and ignorant

Except that technically, metalcore IS ignorant and his generalization is closer to the truth than it isn't. Metalcore doesn't take anything away from the hardcore scene aside from breakdowns. More or less, it's just watered down metal. Real metalcore would be metallic hardcore.
Quote by NY_FootBall49
what makes you think you listen to real hardcore now idk who ur fav bands r but thats not the point i don't think the music i listen to is superior. saying what u listen to is right and everything else sux is stupid and ignorant

Nowhere in my post does it say I listen to music that is superior to what anyone else enjoys. I merely wanted to make a distinction that most of the people in this forum don't actually listen to hardcore, they listen to metal with breakdowns. This isn't metalcore or hardcore, but I can deal with it being lumped into this forum. What does begin to irk me is the multitude of threads that crop up begging the question "what is metalcore?" Being that it is a genre I am quite familiar with, I used to be quick to answer the question politely, but I have grown weary and jaded. It seems that every 16 year old kid that's listened to a Headbangers Ball comp. or has gone to see the Taste of Chaos Tour is automatically an expert on the music scene and has to throw in his/her two cents. This gets old fast and the information is usually completely incorrect. Metalcore seems to be a genre as misconstrued as emo. I don't expect anyone to know what they're talking about, but it's still aggravating to read blatantly wrong posts. In conclusion: stop posting.
Quote by NY_FootBall49

jxd is one of the more respected posters on this board, and i would take his word over yours anyday.
Quote by NY_FootBall49
So whats real "metallic hardcore" and whats "watered down metal" just so i no b/c i no you listen to the most godly bands of all time

For Metalcore/metallic hardcore check out: Unbroken, Integrity, Groundwork, Disembodied, Snapcase, Brothers Keeper, Strife, Harvest, Cursed, The Swarm, Pulling Teeth, One King Down, Gather, Takaru, Trainwreck, Deadguy, Damnation A.D. and Shai Hulud.

And Converge.

Watered down metal:

Everything posted in this thread by non-regulars.
Last edited by JxD at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by NY_FootBall49
So whats real "metallic hardcore" and whats "watered down metal" just so i no b/c i no you listen to the most godly bands of all time

Haha, okay, let's see- Reign Supreme and As I Lay Dying, respectively. Take note that I actually enjoy both bands, and that even though I think As I Lay Dying is "watered down metal," they put on an awesome show, hold strong to their beliefs, and write good, though generic, music.
Quote by NY_FootBall49

Quit being an ass about it. He's right and is giving you a polite, educated, CORRECT response. Watered down metal is bands like As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Lamb of God, etc. Bands like Integrity, Botch, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Coalesce, Shai Hulud and Cave In are metalcore.
Quote by NY_FootBall49
all im asking is what do u consider real hardcore or metalcore b/c im not to focused on breaking down every aspect of music like u guy are i just listen and play i have no intrest in placing each and every band in a neat little sub genre so wat do you consider real metalcore and why

It's high time for my favorite Matt Fox (Shai Hulud) quote that I pull out in occasions such as this.

Taking the term literally, and breaking it apart, yes, we definitely are a true example of “metalcore,” a hybrid of hardcore and metal. When we used to joke with the term, it was just a clever (or not so clever) way of describing a metallic hardcore, metal-influenced hardcore, or hardcore-influenced metal band. My friends and I would listen to Deadguy and say “this isn’t HARDcore, it’s METALcore,” which made sense based on the music they played, combined with the attitude and ethic of the band. Same thing used to be said for Earth Crisis, Integrity, Coalesce, Unbroken, and a lot of the 90’s bands that incorporated heavier riffs and more progressive structuring and ideas into their songs. When the term “metalcore” was thrown around back then it was very tongue-in-cheek; this, obviously, long before it became a legitimate genre, it’s current legitimacy being highly debatable, of course.

“Metalcore,” the actual genre in 2008 doesn’t usually seem like a hybrid of hardcore and metal as much as it just seems like metal, only written by people who imitate it rather than love it, typically resulting in trite and shallow music. If this accurately describes “metalcore” then we clearly do not embrace the term. Conversely, if Earth Crisis and Deadguy define “metalcore, ” count us in.

-Matt Fox
Quote by xRenegadEx

thread over

move along, peoples
Quote by NY_FootBall49
alright im not trying to be a dick but what do you consider every other band then like all the new stuff

Nu-metalcore, the bastard spawn of recent(-ish) metal and tough-guy hardcore acts. I say "bastard spawn" not to knock it, but to make sure it's understood that neither metal nor hardcore wants to take responsibility for it, hence why so many threads get locked especially in the metal forum.
Quote by NY_FootBall49
idk if u agree but i think hardcore is as much a life style as anything i think all the bands u mentioned earth crisis etc r straight edge even bands that r not straight edge have straight edge beliefs Parkway Drive KSE etc

who's adding this to their sig?
Quote by NY_FootBall49
idk if u agree but i think hardcore is as much a life style as anything i think all the bands u mentioned earth crisis etc r straight edge even bands that r not straight edge have straight edge beliefs Parkway Drive KSE etc

I don't understand how this is relevant to anything that has been recently discussed.
Page 1 of 2