Page 1 of 2
Ok, so my bass "build" is coming along VERY well.
I have the body and the neck as of right now and I'm working on getting everything else.

For your convenience and pleasure, I uploaded pictures.

The body is tobacco burst, on an alder body.
The neck is a wenge neck with ziricote fingerboard, and fret markers.

Nice, eh?

Anyways, I have most of the parts ready to order, but I have come to two problems:

1) What pots should I be buying? I want pretty much as stock tone as possible, but with dual concentric pots (one tone knob per pickup). The electronics part of this leaves me clueless, so I'm not sure what I should be buying (also need vol pots as well, again no clue).

I'm getting everything from here -> http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_fenderpots.htm

2) I am at a loss for a decision with what to do with the neck.
I could either epoxy it or use flats. I'm not sure what to do. I was going to use rotosounds, so how do they compare tonewise, roundwound to flatwound? I'm a semi-heavy harmonic player, and love to have them ring out, but will flats prevent this?

The entire neck is unfinished, as warmoth claimed on it's own it would be fine, but will it? From what I hear ziricote is pretty hard, but I don't want enough wear that I'll have to replace a neck in a few years (I'm a music student, and playing is my life, so it happens a LOT).

Would I be better off epoxing the neck? It'll cost more, and take a lot of work. And if I did that I could use my rounds like I want. Suggestions?

Thanks for all the input.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Can't help with your questions, but just wanted to say - looks like it's going to turn out nice. If I ever get myself another bass, unless it's a 6 string, it's going to be some kind of Jazz.
Flatwounds have a very thumpy tone, not very bright or snappy at all in my experience.
If you want to play with rounds you will have to epoxy it unless you want the fretboard to get eaten away. It won't happen quickly but it will happen eventually.

For pots i'd recommend 250k pots and orange drop caps. With potentiometers, a regular pot will act as your volume control. Wire it to another pot which has the cap on it, and that will act as the tone control.

Basically an average bass wiring would go:
Pickups -> Pot -> Pot (with cap) -> Output jack
I dislike attempting the harms with the ol flatters.

sounds like Oprah trying to sing Opera.

use a poly, that will do exactly what you want- epoxy is too much work with no bonuses over the poly at all, excluding a fretboard biting bear.

I believe this may help you-
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0136500B/SD0136500BPg2.pdf

and 250 will do ya for the pots, though if you want a lot of clack (I doubt you will) 500s will be good.

might I add MOAR PICZZZ!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
about the neck - i sprayed mine with krylon non yellowing clear coat, about 6 coats if i remember right. and i threw some rotosounds 188's on there and it looks great and plays well. so for the neck id say spray it down, cant go wrong haha. dries in 10 minutes, spray too much and you can sand it off, spray too little just put on more. verrry easy just spray till it looks wet.

btw, that is one sexy neck
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
^
I second that, Krylon ftw. Also, love the tobacco burst and the fingerboard
That fingerboard... I think this will turn out phenomenal for you, it already looks spectacular.

BTW, where'd you get the body and neck?
Thanks for the tips so far.
So I just need a cap for the pots?
Where do I get caps for them?

Also, the diagrams help. I think I figure out what to do from there.

The body is a showpiece from Warmoth, and the neck is customized for me, also from Warmoth.

I looked up polying necks, but it's illegal to poly necks in anywhere but Mexico apparently, and the fumes can be unhealthy. Either way I may try it.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Quote by LeperMessiah_
Thanks for the tips so far.
So I just need a cap for the pots?
Where do I get caps for them?

Also, the diagrams help. I think I figure out what to do from there.

The body is a showpiece from Warmoth, and the neck is customized for me, also from Warmoth.

I looked up polying necks, but it's illegal to poly necks in anywhere but Mexico apparently, and the fumes can be unhealthy. Either way I may try it.

lol.

I did it in New Mexico myself.

inside.

next to sleeping man. he's still lazy, I'm still a smartass. you'll be fine.

just don't stick your head in, kay?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Why is polying better than epoxy?
Also, how much will I need, and what should I be doing?
Apply a layer, dry, sand, repeat?

Also, yes the neck is sexy. Very. Although, I think I should have maybe just gone with fret markers on the side of the neck and left the fingerboard bare, but it doesn't really matter.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I don't really have any advice or help with anything, in fact, I actually only read a bit of your post and then fell in love with the pictures, but I wanted to ask, did you buy from Warmoth for all of your parts? If not, where did you get everything you have so far?

edit - okay, I'm sorry, I scrolled up a bit and saw you posted where everything is from, so I'll just say that it's looking like a beautiful bass and I hope everything turns out perfect, post some pics of it when it's all done.
Last edited by Final at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by LeperMessiah_
Why is polying better than epoxy?
Also, how much will I need, and what should I be doing?
Apply a layer, dry, sand, repeat?

Also, yes the neck is sexy. Very. Although, I think I should have maybe just gone with fret markers on the side of the neck and left the fingerboard bare, but it doesn't really matter.

poly is stronger, but it's thinner, which means if you add enough, it will last far longer.

it's made as a finish, so it resists scratching and rubbing better than a glue like epoxy, which resists pulling and twisting.

and you don't have to slather it on on, you can just spray or paint it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Well, I know nothing about about poly, so what should I buy?
And how many layers should I go for, 6 or 7?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Krylon, I'll bet Rust-o-leum makes one too, just a poly spray. If you know a company that makes spray paint and spray on finishes, they probably make a spray on poly. 6 or 7 sounds right-ish, but it all depends on how thick you lay it on, if you let it dry all the way and sand between coats ect, so you'll have to eyeball it and call it for yourself in the end. Just make sure you lay it on as even as possible to save yourself sanding later.

EDIT: by the way, what kind of pickups are you slapping in this beauty?
Last edited by Tostitos at Sep 8, 2009,
Thanks for the info.
I'm not entirely sure what pickups to get yet.
I was thinking possibly noiseless fender jazz's possibly.
I'll be playing jazz with it mostly, and love good modrange, so any suggestions?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I have no info on eposy's and poly's... I just wanted to stop by and say how nice that thing looks...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I think you may be thinking of a different poly than we are. The polyurethane I'm thinking of is a urethane stain and can be bought at any hardware store. Definitely not illegal. And Humanity has outlined the plusses of using urethane. Basically it's easier to apply and works better anyway

As for pickups, I always recommend noiseless for a jazz bass. As for which kind, the Samarium cobalt noiseless are really good. I have a set in my bass and they sound somewhat similar to the Fender sound, but with a little bit better bass response and maybe a touch more modern.
Well I went to Steve's her ein Toronto and asked if they could poly my neck.
After a few minutes I was told it was illegal to poly a neck, and that they could epoxy my neck if I wanted, but that it would cost $80/hour and a few hundred for materials.
Needless to say I chose to do it myself.

I dont want to spray on really, in case I get stuff on parts of the neck I dont want it on, but could I take the same stuff out of the bottle and then paint it on?

Also, I heard that the finish can feel sticky, so is there another finish I can put on the top layer?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Not a real productive post, but I want to just say that that zericote is absolutely beautiful. I also love the binding on the body.

I have a wenge neck that warmoth also claims won't need to be finished but I'm going to give it a satin wax finish regarless. I figure it's easy to do, won't interfere too much with the raw feeling of the natural neck, and at the very least will keep extra dirt, moisture, and hand oils out of the thick grain of that wood.
Quote by LeperMessiah_
Well I went to Steve's her ein Toronto and asked if they could poly my neck.
After a few minutes I was told it was illegal to poly a neck, and that they could epoxy my neck if I wanted, but that it would cost $80/hour and a few hundred for materials.
Needless to say I chose to do it myself.

I dont want to spray on really, in case I get stuff on parts of the neck I dont want it on, but could I take the same stuff out of the bottle and then paint it on?

Also, I heard that the finish can feel sticky, so is there another finish I can put on the top layer?

you only need to do the fingerboard- tape off the sides.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

In regards to 250 pots, for my situation what shoudl I get? I don't know about the push/pull or split or shaft. I'm just wanting two tones and two volumes (1 per pickup).

I am ABSOLUTELY clueless.

Also, I dont see caps or anything on this site (maybe I'm blind?) Am I missing something, or do I need to go buy some?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Sep 12, 2009,
Any suggestions?
This part's holding me back.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
get split or shaft, depending on knobs.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I was planning on the dual-concentric pots.

Al-la 60s stlye jazzes.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
or the original prototypes...

250 split. lay out your options here, that'll help.

links?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I like the two tone sunburst thing you have going on, sort of like how the Bass of Doom looks these days.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_fenderpots.htm

that's what I'm looking at for pots.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitarknobs_stackknobs.htm

I grabbed the chrome mini stacked knobs, if it makes a difference.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
didn't see the one you needed there, snooped around:
http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gnstore/elec_pots.html
not sure if they're a good company, they do look pretty legit to me.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ok, so what do you suggest I should get out of those?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
GN4485EL-250

099-2052-000

one of those 2.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Okay I'm getting

099-2052-000

so I should buy 2 of them?
Where can I get caps for them, or are they already set up to be a volum and tone?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Alright, I have everything but the pots (they accidentally got shipped to my home city).
The bridge is installed, and i just put the grounding for the pickups in.

However, on the pickup box, there was a sticky note attached (I had it shipped) that says:

Ok

*signed*

What does that mean exactly? And which pickup is the bridge, and which is the neck?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Sep 22, 2009,
I sent my fretless bass (a Dearmond Starfire bass) to H G Thor Labs in New York (they are online), and it came back beautiful--with a mirror-like epoxy fingerboard surface. He also removed the finish on the back of the neck (it was glossy and sticky) and applied tung oil to a satin sheen. It was well worth it.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a Stellartone Tonestyler switch pot to replace any stock tone pot. The only way I can explain what it does is that it uses set of mulitple capacitors and inductors to carve out different EQ curves for your tone (as opposed to a lowpass filter effect--which is what a standard tone knob does). The Gibson Lucille and a number of other guitars have something called a "Vari-Tone" switch which gives 5 to 6 different EQ settings--the Jack Casady Epiphone bass has a 3 way Vari-Tone. The Tonestyler gives 16 (yup!) different settings--and you can order the rotary switch to have detents or have a smooth rotation all around. I ordered the smooth rotation Tonestyler rotary switch--and when I turn it to and fro, it literally sounds like a wah-wah pedal! It is completely passive, but it will really bring out all the voices hidden in your pickups. I put one into a Carvin LB-20 (with Jazz style pickups) and into a Fender Deluxe Precision (it has a P and a J pickup)--I firmly believe that if I had the money to do so, I would put a Tonestyler into EACH of my remaining passive basses. It is about the same size as a mini potentiometer, and is just as easy to install into your bass cavity.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
The two numerical values are the resistances of each of the pickups in Ohms. The more resistance indicates more windings. Typically, more windings will give a more pronounced midrange tone, so the higher valued one (the 7.69k) is your bridge pickup. The other one will be more even in tone, and typically that is used for the neck pickup.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Ok thanks, I figured that must be what it was. they weren't labeled at all, so I assumed the pickup at the top of the box was the neck and the other the bridge.

Almost done the build.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
some more pics of the progress thus far.

Control plate to be screwed in soon, pickups installed, bridge done.
No pots yet, and the neck still has to be poly-ed, and then that should be it.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Sep 25, 2009,

quick problem, i took a picture of the machine heads and the headstock. i dont know the exact measurement, but it seems the part that actually attaches to the headstock is too large for the hole! I almost fits, but It would take probably a hammer to wedge it into the neck.

Anyone have experience with that? I'd rather not ruin my neck, so forcing it in seems like a bad idea
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I had some tuners that were slightly too big for the holes in the neck, but they got in there fine with a clamp. For that large of a difference, you'll probably have to drill out the extra.
Page 1 of 2