I was watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QKbnCDW94

Now when the guy with the Tele plays (Eugine), he's got that twangy tone, and I've never heard a Tele in real life nor have I played one, but I love the tone he's got, and I've always heard that's how Tele's sound. I also noticed that the only distinguishing feature on the Tele is that bridge pup, it's angled and really close to the bridge.. Is that what gives it the tone? And if so, would I be able to get the cheap one in the link and get a similar tone? (I know the quality of the guitar won't be good, I know this, don't tell me.)

http://www.rondomusic.com/stl50vwh.html
should be. Might want to change it to a 3-saddle set-up, but it should be close enough. That sound is really dependent on the slide he's using though
Teles are just overall built to be bright. Strats have the angled bridge p-up as well, and they aren't nearly as bright. A lot of things about Teles naturally make them brighter (headstock, how the p-ups are built, etc.).

Yeah, the guitar in that link will give you that bright tone. My Squier Affinity Tele, has a great, strong bright tone, and it cost a whopping $170 new. Cheap =/= bad tone, it means low quality build/materials.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 7, 2009,
Yea, I know some of the sound depends on the slide, but I can play the song and some parts don't use the slide, and it sounds pretty much the same, aside from the sliding effect :p
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Don't forget the whole metal bridge on the tele. That adds plenty of brightness.
Yeah, definitely. I didn't even think of that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Some people will flame me for this. But I'd go to your local store and play ALL of their Squier tele's. Squier makes a lot of **** but that first guitar made on monday morning always seems to be pretty damn nice. I'd put my strat up against just about any other one out there made post 1996. I've done tons of mods to it of course but from the base it was a sweet guitar.

If you keep playing them, you will find a good one.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I think they BOTH have flipping amazing tone. How do you get the other guitarists tone? i have an ibanez S series, so I'm guessing the guitar tone is somewhat similar, what kind of effects/amps can i use to get his tone?
Quote by ghostnineone
i got my guitar caught in my ceiling fan today

guitars fine though
You guys do know that it's only a movie, no?

Ry Cooder is doing all that slide work, heck it may or may not even be a Tele you're hearing.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Ry Cooder does everything EXCEPT that last battle, Steve Vai plays all of that video, and Steve Vai is pretty dope with a slide, in case your thinking "well he shreds he doesn't play slide!" look at his Bad Horsie vid!

Anyways, you got a point about that it might not even be a Tele...
Quote by aapex
Ry Cooder does everything EXCEPT that last battle, Steve Vai plays all of that video, and Steve Vai is pretty dope with a slide, in case your thinking "well he shreds he doesn't play slide!" look at his Bad Horsie vid!

Anyways, you got a point about that it might not even be a Tele...

I've heard both that it's a duel between Vai and Cooder and that Vai played them both.
Can I have your source? I never thought the slide sounded much like Cooder but you know.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Whole thing was written by Vai, probably recorded before hand and they just mimed it, not sure though.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Oh, ok just let me get out my stacks of cash I've been using as a shirt.