yo I am starting a project with friends. and i only have a 40 watt kustom bass amp. rather small. but when it plays with drums it gets drowned out. I need to upgrade, but obviousley don't need anything excessive. just needs to be loud enough to be heard very well over drums during practice. maybe play a small show in the back yard. any suggestions on size of amp or type of amp I should consider. and what would be good price ranges to consider? thanks
You're gonna need at least 100 watts, maybe 200 to be safe. As for size, it doesn't really matter how big it is (as long as it's not like 1-8" speaker, that'd be a bit too small).

Edit: Some brands to consider: Ampeg, Acoustic, Ashdown. I've had no experience with the latter two, but they're pretty well accepted around here.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 7, 2009,
200 watts will do well without going too far. The Acoustic B200 should be good.
The more the better, I'd say at the VERY MINIMUM 200 watts. I've used a Fender Rumble 100 and it wasn't enough for my old band. Luckily I was able to borrow a friend's 450w amp with a 4x10 cab, and it got the job done, and this was with a drummer that beat the **** outta his drums, and 2 Marshall half stacks.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
The more the better, I'd say at the VERY MINIMUM 200 watts. I've used a Fender Rumble 100 and it wasn't enough for my old band. Luckily I was able to borrow a friend's 450w amp with a 4x10 cab, and it got the job done, and this was with a drummer that beat the **** outta his drums, and 2 Marshall half stacks.
It really depends on the amp. My Ampeg BA-115 is 100 watts, and although it doesn't sound very loud standing right by it, it fills small venues surprisingly well, and in bigger venues, they're gonna have you plug into the PA anyway. During sound checks I'm constantly being told to turn down.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 7, 2009,
Also, make sure you're not buying a brand that advertises the peak instead of RMS watts. *cough*Behringer
the bass player in the band i play in uses an old peavey bass amp that is 80 watts and he never has issues with volume.

i don't have a lot of experience with bass amps (i think there is a bass forum here that might have people more familiar with bass equipment) but i have experience with peavey's, ampeg's, and eden's; all of which are nice.

i'd look in to peavey's as they are good quality and not overly expensive. getting something around 100 watts is a good place to start.
Look at an Acoustic B200. I played one and it sounds nice and will be loud enough. It can be hooked into a PA as well, so you can play any local gig on it.
Acoustic B200 sounds you brah!

or try a Ashdown MAG combo if you're a brit, though I'm not sure cos I never used one.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....