Hello everyone, time to get a new bass amp (assuming my boss actually pays me tomorrow). I made a thread a while ago asking about whether to get an Acoustic or Hartke Hyrdrive amp, and I decided to go with the Hartke. Which brings me to my next big decision: the combo with 2x10" or 1x15" speakers.

From what I've gathered, 15" speakers give you more low end than 10" speakers. And, that's about all I've gathered. I play funk music in a metal band so I need speakers that will sit well in the mix during parts where I'm just playing root notes, but cut through the mix when I do my bass solo's.

I noticed that you guys seem to like the 15" speakers, and I'm not one to go against your judgment. But I was wondering if my situation would call for the 10's or the 15.

Thanks!
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
1-15." It'll definitely cut through well enough, partly thanks to the tweeter, and it'll give you that full low end you want.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
There's no decision to be made here. People pretend that there's a decision and that it's all opinion, but there's not really either of those things. The only answer is a 15". Personally I don't like 10" speakers by themselves at all, but I can see why some people don't mind a 410, 610 or 810 standalone. However, a 210 just does not cut it. I'm going to catch a lot of flack for that, but you'll be way better off for it.
I've always found that a 115 by itself will give you a horribly muddy tone on the low end.

I suggest you get a 410 (cab+head), maybe even a 212 if you can find one. I played a 212 (volume up to 10) at a med-size venue and it satisfied my volume cravings pretty well.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by food1010
1-15." It'll definitely cut through well enough, partly thanks to the tweeter, and it'll give you that full low end you want.

If it has a tweeter you're set. Even without, I agree that 210s aren't very good by themselves (or at all, in my opinion ) and 115s aren't as bad as you'd think when by themselves
I hate 15's.

but it's the right answer here, sadly.

sorry my lovely tens!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Thanks guys, think I'm gonna go with the advice from the Canadians, even though one of you is from Manitoba haha

EDIT: What's a tweeter? Is the sound of 1x15" really as muddy as The Tortured says?
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Last edited by NearDissent at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Wikipedia
A tweeter is a loudspeaker designed to produce high frequencies, typically from around 2,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz (generally considered to be the upper limit of human hearing)

when paired with a 115, it'll balance out the lows. I don't think it's that muddy, personally
it's naturally low middy. that's the problem.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'm a "Bright-agressive-lots-o-mids-plays-with-a-pick-all-the-time" kinda guy, so personally I would take 2x10's every single time.

That said the 15's aren't that muddy. I would say 85% of the "It's too muddy" complaints come from people who are either EQ'ed impaired, or have played a crappy 1x15.
yes, I'm never muddy myself, I consider myself an EQ master.

its too bassy for me, haha.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

well, i guess i should elaborate more... i've played maybe like 4 115 amps/cabs in my life, and all those times i wasnt allowed to fool around with the EQ. That might be the reason, but I don't know. It was too muddy for my taste. I'm going to get a 410 cab soon, and after a few years I'm going to get an attachment 115 cab (the two together sound great imo).

i wouldnt consider using a 115 by itself though.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
might I add that some 2x10's sound nice IMO?

SWR does it best with that Redhead, I think.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

That whole stigma of a 115 being muddy is confusing to me. 115's handle lows much better than a 210 and provide a much tighter and formed bass range than a 210 which sounds very unfocused and all over the place, which sounds more like mud to me.
If the speakers a re vertically aligned its much better, so a 1x15 and 2x10 with the centre of the cones vertically aligned or close enough.

A 2x10 is the cab i want to go on my 1x15.

At the moment the best speakers made in production are 15's. And most of the best cabs out there have 15's.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
dude, get the Hydrive 1x15. as opposed to traditional paper cone speakers they have good high end thanks to the aluminium centre. By all means add a 2x10 later and you'll have a wicked rig.

I already have a a trace elliot 1x15 and I'm adding a hartke 2x10 aluminium cab to it. The sound indcredibly good together.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
^what's your 2x10?

there's little point in that post unless you tell us the brand
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)