ok i understand the whole concept of the circle of fifths except for when you get to F#/Gb, when you get there is F sharpened and B flattened or what? i really didn't want to make a whole thread about this but im not getting any answers about it so i'll ask you guys
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I don't understand your question. In F# there are 6 sharps, and Gb: 6 flats. There are no flats in F#, if that answers your question.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
whoah, thats wierd as hell. so lets say i write a song in f# major, i solo in Gb minor?
Quote by ghostnineone
i got my guitar caught in my ceiling fan today

guitars fine though
whoah, thats wierd as hell. so lets say i write a song in f# major, i solo in Gb minor?

Uh...no. Where did you get that idea?
Quote by Bobinedefil

then you'd just be soloing in the minor scale of enharmonic F#M,
oh wow. nvm lol. i thought that F# was Gb's relative minor or vice versa. sorry!
Quote by ghostnineone
i got my guitar caught in my ceiling fan today

guitars fine though
Quote by bass-man9712
ok i understand the whole concept of the circle of fifths except for when you get to F#/Gb, when you get there is F sharpened and B flattened or what? i really didn't want to make a whole thread about this but im not getting any answers about it so i'll ask you guys

The pattern of the circle of fifths is F C G D A E B. When you get to B, you start again, only with each note sharpened. At B#, you go to an FX, etc... if going in Reverse, you add a flat moving from F back to B(b).
Quote by food1010
I don't understand your question. In F# there are 6 sharps, and Gb: 6 flats. There are no flats in F#, if that answers your question.

well i got confused when i saw F#/Gb at the same part of the circle and since they are the same note it made no sense, so what your saying is when i use F# its 6 sharps and other way around for Gb?

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
well i got confused when i saw F#/Gb at the same part of the circle and since they are the same note it made no sense, so what your saying is when i use F# its 6 sharps and other way around for Gb?

The two signatures are enharmonic, that way the circle doesn't need to continue to 12sharps for B# major etc..
Quote by isaac_bandits
The two signatures are enharmonic, that way the circle doesn't need to continue to 12sharps for B# major etc..

ya but when i read it the first time it looked like F#/Gb hade 6#'s+6b's which would leave F sharpened and B flattened and that obviously wasnt possible and the other possiblitly was that it was natural like C, but i think i got it now thanks

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Every key signature could have countless enharmonic equivalent but the reason we call it Bb major not A#major (for example) is because Bb major is simpler as it only has 2 flats compared to A# major's 4 sharps and 3 double sharps.

Gb and F# are both equally simple because they have 6 flats and sharps respectively, which is why either can be used.