Okay, so I have a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60R amp, and a Zoom MRS-8 track recorder.

I would like to use one of the built-in guitar effects on the MRS-8 for live performances. It's called "Rockbily" and it's a clean guitar tone with a touch of delay.

There are two ways of setting up the signal, and I'm hoping someone can tell me which would be better.

1) I connect the Zoom's input to the H&K's line out jack, and I connect the Zoom's master output to the H&K's line in jack. I have tried this and it works fine.

However, the H&K manual advises that distortion devices are not designed to be used in the FX loop (which refers to the amp's line out, line in jacks, I presume). It states that any kind of device that compresses the signal should be inserted directly between the guitar and the amp.

This leads me to the second option for setting up the signal:

2) I connect the guitar to the Zoom's input, and I connect the Zoom's master output to the H&K's input.

This also works just fine.

So, really, my question can broken down as follows:

a) does the clean guitar effect on my Zoom qualify as a "distortion" or "compression" device?
b) if not, does it make a difference which of the two options above I use to set up the signal?

Hope you can help, guys.

Cheers.