So i have a 1000 bucks for an amp head. Im fond of ebay. I play prog thrash. We sound like megadeth,testament,nevermore,anthrax,death,etc I was looking at a madison divinity 2. Or perhaps a jcm 800 2203. Any ideas of what i should get.
Quote by Pac_man0123
In that case yeah a 5150 or 6505+ will do the job. I think the regular 6505 is like the original 5150 and the 6505+ is the 5150 II

Playing prog would probably require cleans from time to time, in which case i don't think the 5150 would work for him. Not to mention that some sort of high gain marshall would suit the bands he plays a lot more.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Yeah plus i hate the 5150 and 6505 i want a different none generic sounding amp. That is why im interested in madison amps.
For that budget and those genres, I'll recommend the Peavey 3120 or XXX, or a used Mesa Mark III or DC series. I don't know a thing about Madison amps, unfortunately.

Also check out the Splawn Nitro and Quickrod.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
For that budget and those genres, I'll recommend the Peavey 3120 or XXX, or a used Mesa Mark III or DC series. I don't know a thing about Madison amps, unfortunately.

On second thought, the 3120 with EL34 power tubes would work well for you.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
JCM 800 KK if you can find one used.

and also check Baron amps if you wanna stretch your budget a bit (200-300)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
A Marshall TSL100 would do, as would an old Valvestate.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
JCM 800 KK if you can find one used.

This.

Or a 5150/6505/+
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
i have a madison divinity I that is really good. very high gain and very metal prog based. im selling it if you are interested.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218123&highlight=madison+divinity
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Raijouta

This
Never liked the madison amps. sounded too jcm2000'a. IMO more generic now adays han 5150's.

splawn nitro/qr if you find a good deal
mesa mark III
peavey3120/xxx
Used peavey Stiletto
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Prog?

You can't go wrong with a used Mesa Mk IV or a new Mark V.

I don't like the cleans on the XXX... it was simply too harsh. Although the distortion is hellvua creamy and liquid!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^you'd be hard press to find a mark Iv for that price. only have seen two within the past two years that low. at 1100 they show up way more often and at 1300 is the common low price for them. which is why i gave mark III suggestion
I consider the Peavey 3120/6505/XXX/JSX "mid-budget" amps; they're american made, but if you open them up, they've got lots of the same components on the inside as cheap Chinese amps and some can be quite a mess on the inside. That's not to say they don't sound good, I quite liked the 3120 when I played it in Guitar Center a few months ago. I'm just saying that "american-made" in this particular instance doesn't necessarily mean super-high quality.

If you're looking for high-end in that genre, I'd save up for a used Mark IV or even a Splawn if you can get a deal, as others said.
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by mexican_shred
^you'd be hard press to find a mark Iv for that price. only have seen two within the past two years that low. at 1100 they show up way more often and at 1300 is the common low price for them. which is why i gave mark III suggestion

Ohh... I was under the impression that the older amps sell for more!

Ah well.. MkIII then... its not like the Marks are WORLDS apart.

Quote by whiteraven119
I consider the Peavey 3120/6505/XXX/JSX "mid-budget" amps; they're american made, but if you open them up, they've got lots of the same components on the inside as cheap Chinese amps and some can be quite a mess on the inside. That's not to say they don't sound good, I quite liked the 3120 when I played it in Guitar Center a few months ago. I'm just saying that "american-made" in this particular instance doesn't necessarily mean super-high quality.

If you're looking for high-end in that genre, I'd save up for a used Mark IV or even a Splawn if you can get a deal, as others said.

American made probably just means its made in America.

It didn't say who made it... might just as well be underpaid illegal Chinese, Vietnamese or Mexican immigrants.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Ohh... I was under the impression that the older amps sell for more!

Ah well.. MkIII then... its not like the Marks are WORLDS apart.

American made probably just means its made in America.

It didn't say who made it... might just as well be underpaid illegal Chinese, Vietnamese or Mexican immigrants.

Funny thing about the Mark III's and IV's are the prices are almost cyclical. With low average being at 1300 and high at 1600-1700 for Iv's and ,800 low and 1200-1300 avg high for mark III
Quote by mexican_shred
Funny thing about the Mark III's and IV's are the prices are almost cyclical. With low average being at 1300 and high at 1600-1700 for Iv's and ,800 low and 1200-1300 avg high for mark III

Technically, that's demand and supply at work right there... I'm certain that if we chart its prices, all these fluctuations could be attributed to white noise.

Still, if you can get some MkIII and MkIVs on the cheap, you could make a small profit from arbitrage just based on the price changes.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Technically, that's demand and supply at work right there... I'm certain that if we chart its prices, all these fluctuations could be attributed to white noise.

Still, if you can get some MkIII and MkIVs on the cheap, you could make a small profit from arbitrage just based on the price changes.

exactly .i bough mine at 1200, next week they were selling at 1400.

just keep an eye out on ebay and craigslist that are close by