Page 1 of 2
Okay. I just had another thread; let me ask a more specific question this time.

I am looking for a guitar that has the following elements:

1. 25" scale length. (This one is absolutely non-negotiable.)
2. Mahogany body. Maple top optional.
3. Semi-hollow or solid construction.
4. Dual humbucker or SSH config.
5. Two volume controls. OR, 1 tone, 1 volume, so I can replace them both with volume controls. Tone controls are pretty useless to me nowadays.
6. Nothing even remotely strat-shaped. Looking mostly as Les Paul and 335-derivative shapes, but if there are Explorers or Vs out there like this, I'm interested. "No strats" is also non-negotiable.
7. No trem.

So far, the only thing I've found that meets these are Carvins - the CS4 and SH550. Anyone got anything else, that isn't a PRS?

It doesn't need to meet all of those, save the first one. I'm willing to compromise. And before anyone suggests it, I've considered full custom.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 7, 2009,
Dean USA Hardtail
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Not sure about the body woods, but look into ESP's Eclipse line.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I edited my OP - both the Hardtail and Eclipse have 24.75" scales. In my edit I clarified up there that the scale length and the "no strats" rule are the only things on that list that are absolutely non-negotiable.

Good suggestions, though. Hadn't even considered Dean or ESP.
Damn man - in looking, there aren't a ton of guitars with that body style that aren't 24.75". Super freakin weird. Next suggestion was a Washburn Idol series, but they're 24 and 3/4 too.

What specific body shape are you lookin for? Just no super-strat style stuff? What about a V?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
i don't have anything to add really (the only two 25" scale guitar companies i know of are carvin and prs. and you have those already), but why so specific about scale length? just curious.

oh, and i think silvertone uses a 25" scale, but i don't think you'd be interested in too many of them. just throwing that out there
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Sep 7, 2009,
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i don't have anything to add really (the only two 25" scale guitar companies i know of are carvin and prs. and you have those already), but why so specific about scale length? just curious.

oh, and i think silvertone uses a 25" scale, but i don't think you'd be interested in too many of them. just throwing that out there

Because - having done lots of playing at shops and other people's guitars - I have determined that scale is the single most important factor in determining whether I like a guitar's playability. The Carvins, PRS, and customs I've played with it have been fantastic to me, regardless of their looks or brand or anything else.
Quote by strat0blaster
Damn man - in looking, there aren't a ton of guitars with that body style that aren't 24.75". Super freakin weird. Next suggestion was a Washburn Idol series, but they're 24 and 3/4 too.

What specific body shape are you lookin for? Just no super-strat style stuff? What about a V?

I've noticed the lack of the scale length on most guitars too. Very bothersome to me.

As for shape - I like Vs. Explorers. Firebirds. Teles. Jaguars. Les Pauls. PRS of various kinds. Pretty much all of the Gibson and Epiphone hollowbodies. Strats and super-strats have always been a no-go with me though.
Quote by Shinozoku
Some old B.C. Riches are 25". But your best bet is Carvin, man.

You fail to notice the lack of .5 at the end of his required scale length.

Do they do straight 25" scale?

Quote by Flying Couch
Because - having done lots of playing at shops and other people's guitars - I have determined that scale is the single most important factor in determining whether I like a guitar's playability. The Carvins, PRS, and customs I've played with it have been fantastic to me, regardless of their looks or brand or anything else.

I've noticed the lack of the scale length on most guitars too. Very bothersome to me.

As for shape - I like Vs. Explorers. Firebirds. Teles. Jaguars. Les Pauls. PRS of various kinds. Pretty much all of the Gibson and Epiphone hollowbodies. Strats and super-strats have always been a no-go with me though.

And yes, it's a huge pain in the ass. I love Explorers as well (personally my favorite) but prefer the slight tension increase given by the extra 3/4 of an inch. Annoying.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
Fail. Go read the first guitar's description again. Th eother two don't have it, but I'm fairly sure the other Schecter is 25 1/2 as well.

And yes, it's a huge pain in the ass. I love Explorers as well (personally my favorite) but prefer the slight ension increase given by the extra 3/4 of an inch. Annoying.

They're all 25.5", he's looking for 25"

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku

Yeah I re-read that after I posted because it didn't add up, then amended it when I realized my folly.

My bad.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
i always hated strats until i sat down with one and decided it was the most comfortable body shape known to man but the 25" thing is definitely going to limit you. if you know EXACTLY what you want it really might be worth it to save up a little and get a carvin. or even grab something from their "in stock" section. they usually have a pretty good selection of stuff to look through thats already built.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Shinozoku
Some old B.C. Riches are 25". But your best bet is Carvin, man.

You fail to notice the lack of .5 at the end of his required scale length.

1. Eh? No, I don't want a the .5 Just 25". Which none of those are. EDIT: Ah. Neeeeevermind.

2. Yeah, I've begun to think this as well. This is my last resort before I bite the bullet and go for it when I have the cash.
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah I re-read that after I posted because it didn't add up, then amended it when I realized my folly.

My bad.

It's cool man, people usually see that "25" and automatically think "25.5". I'm really interested in a 25" scale too, as I'm really digging 24.75, but I like some extra tension and I'm having difficulties with 25.5. I seem to hit harmonics and everything a lot better with 24.75.

I really wish I had the time and resources to build guitars right now, cuz I'd totally build you seven (and me 12 )

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Flying Couch
1. Eh? No, I don't want a the .5 Just 25". Which none of those are. EDIT: Ah. Neeeeevermind.

2. Yeah, I've begun to think this as well. This is my last resort before I bite the bullet and go for it when I have the cash.

If you don't prefer the extra .25 of tension, cut it the other way and sacrifice that from the flat 25". That's what I'd do.

I might just not be guitar travelled, but has anyone here seen a flat 25"?

Scale length, you perverts.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Shinozoku
It's cool man, people usually see that "25" and automatically think "25.5". I'm really interested in a 25" scale too, as I'm really digging 24.75, but I like some extra tension and I'm having difficulties with 25.5. I seem to hit harmonics and everything a lot better with 24.75.

Well the harmonics make sense - the shortened scale length allows for your hand to be more in the pinch harmonics 'sweet spot' instead of having it closer to the neck heel, it's closer to the bridge where your hand naturally rests. That's what I've found, at least.

For regular harmonics, there's less tension, so the vibration can travel with more longevity and with more intensity, so it sounds more clearly.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I might just not be guitar travelled, but has anyone here seen a flat 25"?

What do you mean by "flat" 25"?
Quote by Shinozoku

Yeah guys. Just to clarify. 25". Twenty-five inches. NOT 25.5 inches, as commonly found on Fender, Hagstrom and Gretsch guitars, and NOT 24.75", as usually found on Gibson and so many countless others.

Twenty-five. No more, no less. Used pretty much universally on PRS and Carvin models.
Quote by Flying Couch
What do you mean by "flat" 25"?

Yeah guys. Just to clarify. 25". Twenty-five inches. NOT 25.5 inches, as commonly found on Fender, Hagstrom and Gretsch guitars, and NOT 24.75", as usually found on Gibson and so many countless others.

Twenty-five. No more, no less. Used pretty much universally on PRS and Carvin models.

Standard 25, straight 25 - flat 25 - as in, JUST 25, as you're requesting. I've never seen it outside of those two companies - you might have to pick from them.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Standard 25, straight 25 - flat 25 - as in, JUST 25, as you're requesting.

That's what I thought. In that case, yeah, we have seen those - PRS and Carvin use them pretty much exclusively on their guitars.
Quote by strat0blaster
Standard 25, straight 25 - flat 25 - as in, JUST 25, as you're requesting. I've never seen it outside of those two companies - you might have to pick from them.

PRS, Carvin, old BC Rich

Stupid name.

Quote by Flying Couch
That's what I thought. In that case, yeah, we have seen those - PRS and Carvin use them pretty much exclusively on their guitars.

Yeah got that - read the amendment I made.

My head is slow tonight.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Yeah got that - read the amendment I made.

My head is slow tonight.

Ah. Yeah, I see now. I was getting somewhat confused.
Quote by Shinozoku
PRS, Carvin, old BC Rich

I have to admit, an old Mockingbird with a 25" scale would be tough to resist.
Quote by strat0blaster
My head is slow tonight.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by David Collins
Gibson's 24.75" scale length actually results in a string length more like a 24.58" scale length. Though it is in theory a 24.75", their math is a bit different than the rest of the world's, which results in a much shorter string. All the other 24.75" scales you've played though (save for Heritage, which is like Gibson's) are a true 24.75".

Just a trivial note.

Sound to me like Carvin has exactly what you're looking for though.

What about Epiphone? Same 25.58"? Or true 25.75"?

Stupid name.

Quote by David Collins
Sound to me like Carvin has exactly what you're looking for though.

As far as the guitars themselves, they pretty much do. There are silly and illogical reasons that have kept me from falling over myself to order an SH550, but I won't argue with that kind of quality in favor of something as silly as brand loyalty (bit of a Gibson snob) forever.
Quote by Flying Couch
As far as the guitars themselves, they pretty much do. There are silly and illogical reasons that have kept me from falling over myself to order an SH550, but I won't argue with that kind of quality in favor of something as silly as brand loyalty (bit of a Gibson snob) forever.

If you're lookin for Gibson-esque stuff, what's stoppin you from checkin out Carvin's CS6 California Single Cut?

Looks pretty phenominal to me.

What's your genre, anyway?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
If you're lookin for Gibson-esque stuff, what's stoppin you from checkin out Carvin's CS6 California Single Cut?

Looks pretty phenominal to me.

What's your genre, anyway?

Genre is a little bit of everything. I play and write lots of classic-rock, blues, and funk inspired stuff, but I also do some metal and I used to play in a jazz band.

And flamed and quilted maple is keeping me from the CS6 - I prefer the CS4, which has a plain maple top. But they are essentially the same thing. I may not be able to afford an SH550, so if not, then I'd get a CS. I've never played a CS, but I gather that they are basically single cut version of the CT series. I've played a few of those, and one of them was perhaps the single greatest playing guitar I have ever touched. I'd prefer a semihollow, though - hence, the SH550.

Aside from that, there's the aforementioned brand loyalty, which won't hold out for long. I'd prefer a Gibson, really, but I'm not going to argue with this.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 7, 2009,
Youre not gonna have much choice with the 25" scale thing. Carvin and PRS there are some acoustics with that scale but thats it. You could build a guitar. The neck thru blank from stewmac is 25" scale, same one as sold by carvin. Other options are a warmoth body without the bridge routed and buy a 25"scale fretboard to install on a fender spec neck.
Quote by Flying Couch

I feel your pain, I love 24" scale, and there's only a handful of guitars made in it, and really only one that's well suited to hardcore punk and metal.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Take this as a sign to buy a Carvin. You won't regret it, a CS4 will be my next guitar to go with my DC127.
Quote by Flying Couch

If you don't buy Carvin you will pay the price for your lack of vision.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i *think* patrick eggles are 25", but they'll be hard to find if you're not in the UK... might be too close to a strat shape, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Having done some intensive searching - I have (finally) resigned to order a Carvin.

Expect a NGD thread within a few months - either an SH550 or CS4. Thanks for the input guys.
You won't be disappointed. Ordering my DC127 was tough for me to do sight unseen and unplayed (and I didn't have much money at all at the time - basically emptied my accounts to get it) but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Make sure to call it in and get the SS frets!
Quote by stratman7
Make sure to call it in and get the SS frets!

I dunno about SS frets. I was thinking of calling in with a few non-standard options though - for example, a mahogany top on an SH550, with a natural finish over the whole thing.
It's just the crazy options that aren't even listed anywhere that would get you a non-returnable - they'll let you know. I highly recommend the SS frets though for anybody. Once you've played em it's tough to go back to nickel and they last forever.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Wulphy at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Wulphy
I believe that Parker Singlecuts have a 25" scale.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-xtSA-Flame-Electric-Guitar?sku=512264

That does too.

The Godin's a good suggestion, but the body is ungainly to me, and it's got a trem, which I'd have no use for. And no, the Parker's got a 25.5". My friend runs a guitar shop and has a ton of them; if they had a guitar with such a scale I'd be all over it. They are amazing instruments.
Quote by stratman7
It's just the crazy options that aren't even listed anywhere that would get you a non-returnable - they'll let you know. I highly recommend the SS frets though for anybody. Once you've played em it's tough to go back to nickel and they last forever.

Now that I think about it, I may as well. I use such damn heavy strings that I never even touch the fretboard or frets when I play.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Flying Couch
The Godin's a good suggestion, but the body is ungainly to me, and it's got a trem, which I'd have no use for. And no, the Parker's got a 25.5". My friend runs a guitar shop and has a ton of them; if they had a guitar with such a scale I'd be all over it. They are amazing instruments.

Now that I think about it, I may as well. I use such damn heavy strings that I never even touch the fretboard or frets when I play.

I just looked through ten pages of musicians friend, and all I found were those two Godins
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Page 1 of 2