in short cuz i got a severe headache....my bassist only plays cover songs well with the aid of tabs...but he cant make one proper bassline,all he does is run randomly up and down the fretboard,somewhere between scales so it sounds really weird,and he likes it!
he doesnt have a sense of rhythm..when i show him basslines he plays them out of tempo or with a totally different tempo,and it takes a lot of work to show him because he doesnt feel rhythm well

now ,this dude played with us on our first show,he knows all our covers and he basically does what we tell him,and he's my friend so he's trustworthy...but when it comes to bass,he still got a long way to go and he's not really moving that fast,he hasnt got the mind of a bass player n doesnt feel the rhythm

we're heading on to writing originals and,i dont think he can do it,i'll have to set his basslines for him that he in turn wont be able to absorb,and its double work for me

so i was thinking of searching for a more knowledgable bassist (and no worries about him getting upset i think i can handle it nicely) i was thinking it would give us quite a boost,but this will mean the new bassist will have to learn all our covers and its gonna take us longer than i want to get back onstage,besides i dunno if the next guy will be trustworthy and good or if we'll end up with a ****

so do you think i should look for a more experienced,educated bassist and accept the time delay for the sake of proper bass or should i stay with the current one and see if he will get better??
its a bit of a tough decision so help me here if u can
btw we're a one guitar band
Quote by Alijonroth
the new bassist will have to learn all our covers and its gonna take us longer than i want to get back onstage,besides i dunno if the next guy will be trustworthy and good or if we'll end up with a ****

1. It won't take very long for a good bassist to learn the covers.
2. If you find a new guy who's a jerk, don't put him in the band or kick him out.

I think it's only fair that you give your current bassist a chance to improve. But if he doesn't then you can kick him out.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
If by sack you mean throw him to the ground before he can pass the ball, then yes, yes you should sack your bassist.

Really, the above post was right - to play basic bass, especially root noting for covers, it doesn't take very long at all to learn. Pros outweigh the cons.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Alijonroth
he's my friend so he's trustworthy

There's your problem. In my experience, it's best to start a band with strangers than with your friends.
You're better off getting a new bassist. Learning covers shouldn't be that difficult.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Im not sure what you should do bro, but maybe he could get better if you put him in some intense practice if hes still not getting better you might just have to get a better bassist. Im a bassist myself and i find i pick up covers very fast so if hes good to he probabley could too, just put him through maybe some jazz to test his rythym and maybe get him walk a bassline for his scales. Otherwise im not sure but i hope i could help.
Here's what I think you should do, look for a new bassist but don't kick your friend out yet. See if the new guy plays well with you by taking him to band practice every now and then to see how well you play together while letting the current bassist have time to get better. Then make your choice.
Quote by Shreddinator666
Here's what I think you should do, look for a new bassist but don't kick your friend out yet. See if the new guy plays well with you by taking him to band practice every now and then to see how well you play together while letting the current bassist have time to get better. Then make your choice.

Until his friend finds out. Nice chance!
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Shreddinator666

actually ive been thinking of doing just that! but it kinda felt like cheating so i didnt know,maybe its better so he gets a chance?
I only need to trust my bandmates to the extent they'll show up to practice and shows on time, and learn their parts. That trust is a lot more important than the "trustworthiness" that your bassist/friend is giving you.

He doesn't know his instrument, if you don't think it sounds good in the band kick him.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You're also overlooking the fact that a good bassist is really hard to find. Sure you don't want a guy that can't play and so you don't really want to keep your friend. But because you don't want a guy that can't play, you might have to spend months searching for a real bass player, sorting through failed guitarists who don't even know what the pocket is and kids with no ride and a 15 watt amp in the meantime.

The time it takes to find a real live bass player might be more than the time it takes for this kid to take lessons and become a passable musician.

Doesn't help you too much, but it's something important to consider.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
The time it takes to find a real live bass player might be more than the time it takes for this kid to take lessons and become a passable musician.

I agree with getting him into some REAL lessons. he'll improve much faster with an experienced instructor who will most likely recognize his weaknesses right away and know how to fix them.

you might get lucky and have a great bassist who also has a good attitude fall into your lap, but it's doubtful. No one wants a weak link around, but it's better than not having all your basses covered (pun intended).
Quote by pwrmax
There's your problem. In my experience, it's best to start a band with strangers than with your friends.

I agree but that doesn't mean it's always gonna cause problems.

I mean, my brother started a band with his friend and they've been doing great for 10+ years.