ive been playingf for about 4.5 yrs and i feel like ive gon stale i know one scale inside and out and i feel like all i know how to do is apply blues leads to any song and it really gets annoying

no matter what scale i learn it ends up sounding blues when i encorporate it

maybe someone else has fallen in to this hole and i need advice on the way to get out
I know exactly what you mean. I've been playing for 2 years and I'm stuck on blues. Don't play distortion. Try playing more chords and learning different intervals. Get on the more Jazz side of Blues. Just do stuff differently than you have been. Listen to different artist, give the ones you don't like a shot. Just try to break out of it.
ei know all chords as far as major/minor/seventh and some augmented chords but whyat exactlt do you mean by intervals
Quote by boobinski
ive been playingf for about 4.5 yrs and i feel like ive gon stale i know one scale inside and out and i feel like all i know how to do is apply blues leads to any song and it really gets annoying

no matter what scale i learn it ends up sounding blues when i encorporate it

maybe someone else has fallen in to this hole and i need advice on the way to get out

start listening to other players maybe? if you only listen to blues and blues based music then your solos will sound bluesy.

i started listening to eric johnson. opened me up to new ideas. he still plays a lot of pentatonic stuff but in a different way, which is why i listened to him. he was using scales i new already. all his stuff for the most part is straight pentatonic and major/minor scales. now he does do some modal things here and there and has lines which seem classical at times but most of his solos are what i mentioned.
i like the stuf on your page and i can do the progressions and rythyms well its just when it comes to the solo it always sounds bluesy and i listen to all types of music
Try playing by ear! Try writing some music! Learn some new songs, some new styles, find new things to keep your playing fresh and fun!

As to your leads always sounding bluesy, again the answer is to play by ear and not by muscle memory. Try humming along over a backing track and then playing what you hum on your guitar. You'll be suprised at how creative you really are! Don't get trapped in shapes, use your ears! Just getting started, you don't have to be too fancy. When it comes to creating good melodies and things like that, less can be more.
What I meant was learn the reason why those chords have those names; the relationship between the notes in the chord. This will allow to play more freely and break out of the pentatonic without playing "wrong sounding" notes.
Quote by boobinski
i like the stuf on your page and i can do the progressions and rythyms well its just when it comes to the solo it always sounds bluesy and i listen to all types of music

gah i should take that stuff down actually. those songs are really old. it says on the page ive been playing 3 years but ive been playing like 5 lol plus, those songs are even older than that. i gotta get recording again. anyways, you cant JUST listen to other music, you have to also force yourself to not just play the same old licks all the time. when i first started listening to eric johnson, i wanted to sound like him but my gear and licks were all geared toward sounding like SRV. so i actually had to sit down and really focus on what i was doing and what eric was doing. and now everytime i hear someone i really focus on what they are doing and what i can do to get that feel. maybe try to play without any bends at all. force yourself to not do certain things in order to open up to other ideas. try some sequences. i have a lesson on this site called "pentatonic sequences for soloing". look it up, it might help to get some new ideas.
You can play those pentatonic scales really fast like kirk hammett
Or play them funky like John Frusciante