I have 2 guitars.

One has a 3 way pickup switch on my generic SG that keeps messing up and giving no sound. It usually is on the rhythm channel that it doesn't work, but sometimes it's the other, or just both, and I need to flick it over and over until it works.

What can cause this? How do I fix this? Is it the wiring? I opened it and it seems alright.

My old one has a really crappy humbucker that sounds all distorted and nasty.
It only has 1 slot for 1 pickup.
Can I convert it to having more than 1 pickup or should I just get a new guitar?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
fix the pickup selector....my friend had an SG and all he had to fix was the 3 way selector...unless you seriously don't want the guitar then sell it and buy a new one

and once again for the 1 pickup guitar...if you like the guitar get a new pickup...if not get a new one
I like my SG a lot I just need to fix the pickup selector.

The other one, I'd sell but I honestly think no one would buy it.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
could just be some buildup on the contacts, try switching it back and forth a bunch to see if you can get rid of it... you could also look at the switch and see if perhaps the prongs are bent such that they are coming out of contact at certain points (or is it the cheap kind that just has a 'box').

it's a really easy replacement -take three wires off, re attach three wires in sm orientation - and most music stores will carry a lp switch... then all you need to do is hit radio shack for some solder and a 25watt iron.