Page 1 of 4
I'm sort of enjoying what's going on now musically, but I'm starting to wonder if things are getting a bit trite? I mean it was a breath of fresh air when the garage movement came around in the early 2000s, when Franz Ferdinand brought this New Wave feel back into the forefront of things, and when bands like the shins made folk cool again, but I'm starting to think that this kind of music is starting to go away. If it is, or when it will, what kind of sound do you think will be popular? I honestly think we've done all we could with re-hashes..but where do you guys see the music trend heading?
I love Post-Rock, Math Rock, etc. but it seems like innovative bands are slowly becoming less and less popular than they used to be
I mean, Prog Rock was really innovative back in the 70's but it was really popular, you heard it on the radio a decent bit
But now now it feels like a lot that innovation is only happening on the fringe...
Downhill

'nuff said

(referring to music in general, not anything specific)

EDIT: ^Damn you!
Needs a new sig

Scandanavian Metal > American Thrash/Groove> Everything Else

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
I think music will get even more New Wavey in five years, with bands like Late of the Pier taking the forefront.
I've also been wondering this but in a slightly different sense:

How crazy will our kids' generations music be? Our grandparents generation was all that calm oldies stuff, then our parents had the 80's metal, and now our generation goes into extreme death metal. I cant really imagine anything more extreme but I'm sure they'll come up with something.
Yeah, people thought it was only hip hop but it's everything. There isn't enough dedication. Musicians aren't even promoting musicians. Radio play is forced.
As long as BTBAM is still making albums, I don't care.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Digital cowbells, electronic triangles, and voice sampling of 80's hair metal mixed with hip hop beats and reversed jimi hendrix solos.
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm not quite sure if you were trying to be funny or if you have a learning disability, either way, I was not amused.

He is not amused.
Quote by abdulalhazred
you are the best 09er EVER! i am sending you a friend request as soon as i send this

Quote by blackthought
Techno man, techno.

Yes, unfortunately.

As annoying a genre it is (to me anyways), techno is evolving and being heard way more than just outside your average club. I can see that being the fairly new "in" genre once rap gets played out.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by Pyrofretnic
I've also been wondering this but in a slightly different sense:

How crazy will our kids' generations music be? Our grandparents generation was all that calm oldies stuff, then our parents had the 80's metal, and now our generation goes into extreme death metal. I cant really imagine anything more extreme but I'm sure they'll come up with something.

I've always wondered if screamo and post-hardcore will ever be called "oldies" music when we're old. Hell, 90's emo is sh*tty oldies to most kids my age (excluding me) these days.
It's going to go wherever popular musicians take it. The rest of us will just have to keep playing in dive bars and hoping it gets better.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Andybren8690
The Toilet.

/Thread.

I was going to say exactly this...

Personally I feel that over the past 5 years or so music has been slowly circling the toilet on its downward spiral into shit filled oblivion. If music continues on its current path everything we hear on the radio will inevitably reach the bottom of the bowl and go straight down the shitter. Then all we will have left in the way of good music will be "classic" music, such as the good stuff before the time of corporate media sellouts, and what is underground. Although thats how it is now anyway, so I guess we're already there.
I seriously doubt it's going anywhere new. Right now bands like prodigy and Pendulum are peaking in popularity and their style's been around for ages. Can you think of many genres that are currently quite cool and alternative but are simplistic enough to become mainstream in the near future?
Prog-rock will never be popular again, sorry guys. It wasn't even particularly popular when it was supposed to have been popular. Like heavy metal in that respect.
Last edited by DroogieSteve at Sep 7, 2009,
Bring back the 70's!

or maybe stuff like Elvis and Chuck Berry....good stuff.
Last edited by SabbathStoner at Sep 7, 2009,
I hope electro pop-punk rock pop crunk core takes over the world. Just look at the musicianship and genuine creativity of bands like 3oh!3 and brokeNCYDE.
I'd absolutely love to see Prog come into the mainstream a bit. Not so much as top 40 or anything that you hear the new Dream Theater single every half hour. (then you'd be hearing it almost nonstop ) I just want more radio stations to dig on the prog, and some heavier stuff for now.
Quote by DroogieSteve
I seriously doubt it's going anywhere new. Right now bands like prodigy and Pendulum are peaking in popular and they're style's been around for ages. Can you think of many genres that are currently quite cool and alternative but are simplistic enough to become mainstream enough in near future?
Prog-rock will never be popular again, sorry guys. It wasn't even particularly popular when it was supposed to have been popular. Like heavy metal in that respect.

Coheed And Cambria, The Mars Volta, and Rush?!?!?! You've made me sad, but I like the Clockwork Orange reference in your username. So... mixed emotions.
Music has exhausted itself. It'll go back to the good ol' 50s' sounding music, and recycle itself (60s', 70s', 80's...) and maybe some new "type" of music with come with it, who knows.
Either extremely electonic or a new rock genre will come up. I'm personally hoping for the later or a punk revival.
It'll keep going down the s h i t slide, as it has been doing nicely since the late 90s.

Oh yeah, I keep seeing all these new bands calling themselves "progressive rock" and "neo prog rock " like Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree and s h i t like that. Um...no
your not prog, your s h i t that calls itself prog and stop dirty-ing the name "progressive rock" please.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Last edited by Phil Collins at Sep 7, 2009,
I've got something in my front pocket for you, why don't you reach in my front pocket, and see what it is!

Serious response: I believe there will always be a **** TON of crap music, but there will also be a good deal of GREAT bands and great music. Us UGers have a responsibility to music as young guitarists to contribute to this great music section! Huzzar!
Quote by ZeroCS
Yes, unfortunately.

As annoying a genre it is (to me anyways), techno is evolving and being heard way more than just outside your average club. I can see that being the fairly new "in" genre once rap gets played out.

God, I hope this happens. At least the mainstream rap that's dumbing the masses.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by The Horror!
I love Post-Rock, Math Rock, etc. but it seems like innovative bands are slowly becoming less and less popular than they used to be
I mean, Prog Rock was really innovative back in the 70's but it was really popular, you heard it on the radio a decent bit
But now now it feels like a lot that innovation is only happening on the fringe...

I agree with you It's sad I know. Pop music has been sh*tty for a long time and unfortunately it seems like the good, creative, interesting music is falling by the wayside. It's sad that any douche with no musical talent and a voice auto-tune program can make a top selling album.
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
There's a difference between mainstream music and just music. Mainstream is always twisting and turning, never really staying in a particular genre for more than a few years, while the rest of music will just run it's course like it has for the last hundreds of years.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
God, I hope this happens. At least the mainstream rap that's dumbing the masses.

That's a ridiculous statement. If people can be made to succumb to stupidity because they're hearing music, they were stupid to begin with and weren't made 'into' anything.

If you don't like a genre, fine, but don't look for dumb reasons to can it. Just admit you don't like it. That's all that's necessary.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Metallica rulz
I like this and your quote section. Maybe progressive/hardcore/metal/etc will become the new mainstream.

don't count on it.
Quote by BK202
I hope totally disjointed prog music makes its way onto major radio stations.

I've been listening to El Grupo Nuevo De Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and The Mars Volta, and I would love more bands like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_m4Na8Lbl0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVqDgGsZMs

If you haven't heard of hella before...well, actually you might not like the vast majority of their material (few people do) as most of it is extremely inaccessible haha. But I bring them up because some of their songs (IMO) have that "disjointed prog" sort of feel.

Their drummer, Zach Hill, is actually the drummer for El Grupo Nuevo De Omar Rodriguez Lopez.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I hope electro pop-punk rock pop crunk core takes over the world. Just look at the musicianship and genuine creativity of bands like 3oh!3 and brokeNCYDE.

i hope this is a joke cause i wanna rip you limb from limb right now.......
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
Quote by Phil Collins
It'll keep going down the s h i t slide, as it has been doing nicely since the late 90s.

Oh yeah, I keep seeing all these new bands calling themselves "progressive rock" and "neo prog rock " like Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree and s h i t like that. Um...no
your not prog, your s h i t that calls itself prog and stop dirty-ing the name "progressive rock" please.

Whoa whoa whoa!!

Porcupine tree has never called themselves "progressive", because they don't like labels. To them, they are just Porcupine Tree.

And they are pretty damn progressive. They blend the odd song structures and melodies extremely well. Steve Wilson is an excellent musician.

How are they not progressive? They certainly aren't mainstream, or "normal".
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Last edited by Shazazmic at Sep 7, 2009,
metal in general will never b mainstream for 2 reasons. 1. it not easy for everyone to relate to. u have to have musical knowledge or.... idk. not everyone understands the awsomeness of metal. and 2. because i large amout of the metal gerne us S H I T, different parts for different ppl.
on another note i hope rap and hiphop go to s h i t in the next few years... that would make mo happy. but that doesnt seem very likely...
i'd say we are just along for the ride as far as where music will go next tho... we'll see
I Shit You Not
Quote by superunknown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_m4Na8Lbl0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVqDgGsZMs

If you haven't heard of hella before...well, actually you might not like the vast majority of their material (few people do) as most of it is extremely inaccessible haha. But I bring them up because some of their songs (IMO) have that "disjointed prog" sort of feel.

Their drummer, Zach Hill, is actually the drummer for El Grupo Nuevo De Omar Rodriguez Lopez.

Dude that was awesome, where did you find that? I loved that, seriously. And I knew that he was EGNDORL's drummer, but I never knew about this band.
I think popular music will continue to go down until its basically just cemmercial jingles. Then it will go back to being bearable. Good and relatively unknown bands will continue to exist. I also think that pop music might take a turn to be more orchestral because I see a lot of string and piano arrangements in more poppy rock stuff.
Page 1 of 4