I'm looking to start practicing 2-3 hours a day, everyday. I'm been playing for 2 years and I would rate myself as about an intermediate level player, but I need a new schedule to further improve my skills. I have a guitar teacher (for now), and I get excersizes, scales, and songs to work on every 2 weeks. So, if you guys could help me, I would like a new schedule where I could fit in atleast an hour of my guitar teacher's stuff, plus techniques, time for learning new songs, and room for improvising.

Please help, it would be greatly appreciated.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Ah, that old problem - not enough hours in a day. The best advice I can give you is to think about your goals as a guitarist. It is important to think about long term goals, but you also need to break it down to shorter term goals too - stuff that can reasonably be achieved in a few months. Then tailor your practice schedule towards reaching those shorter term goals.
Hello

Here is a practice regimen I have developed that may be of some interest.

My main goal is to achieve accuracy, dexterity, finger independence and speed

The whole practice session takes about 3 hours on a moderate tempo setting

Broken down into segments, the regimen consists of:

1) Scales and Modes = 70 positions (Alternate Picking)
2) Cycle of 5ths/4ths (Alternate Picking)
3) Arpeggios = Major, Minor, Aug, Dim, Dom (Alternate Picking)
4) Chromatics on all frets (Alternate/Reverse Picking)
5) Hexatonics (Alternate Picking)
6) 7th arpeggios (Alternate Picking)
7) Triad Arpeggios (Sweep Picking)
8 ) Chord Inversions (Strumming/Fingerstyle)
9) Pentatonic Tapping (Tapping)
10) Sightreading (Aural/Visual Training)
11) Improvisation over Sequences (Free Form)

I practice with a metronome
I think it would be more helpful if you used all that info in some kind of creative way. Through more improvsiation etc.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I'd like to suggest "Rock Guitar Secrets"... it will help you construct a practice routine at any level... I understand why you are asking, but I hope you understand why I am telling you to make your own
Quote by jsantos
Hello

Here is a practice regimen I have developed that may be of some interest.

My main goal is to achieve accuracy, dexterity, finger independence and speed

The whole practice session takes about 3 hours on a moderate tempo setting

Broken down into segments, the regimen consists of:

1) Scales and Modes = 70 positions (Alternate Picking)
2) Cycle of 5ths/4ths (Alternate Picking)
3) Arpeggios = Major, Minor, Aug, Dim, Dom (Alternate Picking)
4) Chromatics on all frets (Alternate/Reverse Picking)
5) Hexatonics (Alternate Picking)
6) 7th arpeggios (Alternate Picking)
7) Triad Arpeggios (Sweep Picking)
8 ) Chord Inversions (Strumming/Fingerstyle)
9) Pentatonic Tapping (Tapping)
10) Sightreading (Aural/Visual Training)
11) Improvisation over Sequences (Free Form)

I practice with a metronome

How do you alternate pick the cycle of 5ths, what do you mean by this? I'm not disagreeing or anything, I'm just curious. Do you go through it and just pick the notes in the cycle?
Quote by Confusius
How do you alternate pick the cycle of 5ths, what do you mean by this? I'm not disagreeing or anything, I'm just curious. Do you go through it and just pick the notes in the cycle?

I was making the reference to the movement of my pic:

D,U,D,U

Reverse picking would be starting on an upstroke:

U,D,U,D
I know this is not the thread or forum to say this... ^but aren't they both alternate picking whether its up or down?

I don't quite know what reverse picking is as I don't really know how to pick, let alone hold a plectrum successfully... but I'm sure my point is pointless and incorrect...
Quote by jsantos
I was making the reference to the movement of my pic:

D,U,D,U

Reverse picking would be starting on an upstroke:

U,D,U,D
but...how do you pick the circle of fifths? Like...do you play scales/arpeggios/just run through the notes as in B E A D G C F etc?
Quote by zhilla
but...how do you pick the circle of fifths? Like...do you play scales/arpeggios/just run through the notes as in B E A D G C F etc?

Ah, I got your question now.

Sometimes I Cycle the 5ths with Modes and Arpeggios.

Like I start off with A Ionian 1st position and then E Ionian 6th position.

That way I can go through the neck in some type of organized manner
Thanks for all the help everyone! As for now, here is a working schedule I made for myself, that is subject to change:

Hour 1: Guitar teacher's stuff
Hour 2: Improvise, learn new songs, and write original songs. (Including Sightreading)
Hour 3: Technique (Including Scales, Arpeggios, Alt Picking, Tapping, and Strumming Practices)

Extra Time:

Perfect new songs with correct effects pedals, learn theory, learn new techniques etc.

Thoughts?
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
id say spend an hour on technique (which is what you should be covering in lessons as well), an hour on repetoire, and an hour on improv and musicianship (ear training, reading and rhythm). spend any extra time on whatever you want. but id also talk to your teacher about how to best structure your practice.