Ok I went against the advice of others and got a mg100hdfx.

now I am going to sell it and replace it with a tube amp..
need your help.

my budget will be $400

I play metal and our other guitar player plays through a crate or roland ss with 4-12's
What tube amp can I get that will hold its own and be heard with a full band at my b udget? or should I just stay with what I have until I have a bigger budget? (few years)
tube amp?

save your money
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Save your money if you want a tube amp. You could get an Ampeg VH-140C though and those seem to be popular around here.

EDIT: ^ I keep forgetting about those. It's an okay amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Cisc
Ok I went against the advice of others and got a mg100hdfx.

Spider Valve or Peavey Vypyr tube. There aren't many good tubes for metal in that price range btw... you would do much better with $500 - 600 for a Peavey or a Bugera

EDIT: Forgot about the B-52s ... those would be good.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 7, 2009,
Just got a B-52 head today. I was skeptical because of the price, but after demoing it nice and loud side-by-side a Mesa Single Rec (Yeah, I pissed off GC :P) I decided that it was a worthy investment. If you like rectifier type distortion with good cleans you'll love that amp. Just remember, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Last edited by {Ѵëņŏmőůş} at Sep 8, 2009,
Vypyr Tube, those things kick ass.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Cisc
so 60 watts tube will be heard over the rest of the band yeah?

and is 1 speaker a problem in this situation?

60w tube is louder than your halfstack.

1 speaker is fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shredrick
What you don't like the B-52's lol I have an AT-112 and love it sounds great onstage
So don't know what the hell your talking about they suck. I suggest you buy one now since the production has stopped you can buy them for 359

Man you need to ease up a little he was just asking a question lol
Quote by Cisc
so 60 watts tube will be heard over the rest of the band yeah?

and is 1 speaker a problem in this situation?

You wont be able to go full volume with 60w tube. You'd blow your brains out.

Also, having one speaker will be fine. 4x12's would sound roughly the same volume, the 4x12 would just project the sound more.
Last edited by marc0mu at Sep 8, 2009,
If I were you I wouldn't go over 35W if you're wanting to get a tube amp (unless you're playing in an arena). To get the richness on tube amps you need to open them up a fair way (turn them up to a loud volume) for them to sound their best, otherwise it's like a balloon that isn't inflated.

If you go for a tube amp 50W or more, you will not be able to get the richness without turning it up to an extremely loud volume.

With a lower wattage amplifier, you can get a better tone at a more reasonable volume.
Quote by XtAsY2007
If I were you I wouldn't go over 35W if you're wanting to get a tube amp (unless you're playing in an arena). To get the richness on tube amps you need to open them up a fair way (turn them up to a loud volume) for them to sound their best, otherwise it's like a balloon that isn't inflated.

If you go for a tube amp 50W or more, you will not be able to get the richness without turning it up to an extremely loud volume.

With a lower wattage amplifier, you can get a better tone at a more reasonable volume.

He plays metal where that much power tube saturation is a bad thing.

If he was playing something lower gain, then your argument would be a good one, but most amps in that wattage range aren't going to be meant for metal (though there are a few), and will sound loose when cranked that high.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
He plays metal where that much power tube saturation is a bad thing.

If he was playing something lower gain, then your argument would be a good one, but most amps in that wattage range aren't going to be meant for metal (though there are a few), and will sound loose when cranked that high.

I have to disagree with you. Metal doesn't have to be predominantly pre-amp distortion, the best metal tones are usually a good balance of both pre-amp and power-amp distortion.

And there are are plenty of lower wattage amps below 50W that can give a nice tight, articulated tone when cranked, infact usually the sound tightens up and compresses nicely at the higher volumes.

There still is absolutely no need for an amp over 50W for what for what he needs to do. He'll get a better overall tone for the size gigs he's playing with something lower powered. If he needs more gain then he can saturate things further by using an overdrive.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by XtAsY2007
I have to disagree with you. Metal doesn't have to be predominantly pre-amp distortion, the best metal tones are usually a good balance of both pre-amp and power-amp distortion.

And there are are plenty of lower wattage amps below 50W that can give a nice tight, articulated tone when cranked, infact usually the sound tightens up and compresses nicely at the higher volumes.

There still is absolutely no need for an amp over 50W for what for what he needs to do. He'll get a better overall tone for the size gigs he's playing with something lower powered. If he needs more gain then he can saturate things further by using an overdrive.

No one said power tube saturation is bad for metal, in moderation.

I was referring to his 35W amp suggestion. My Classic 30, which is 30W, would almost need to be cranked to the max to be heard over the drums at band practices, in which case it would become very loose. Granted, the C30 isn't really made for metal, but the only other low wattage amp that is even close to his budget that is made for metal is the Krank Rev Jr, which the 20W version will still sound fairly loose and more usable for hardrock when cranked then it would be for metal.

Most high-wattage amps will be at their "sweet spot" at less than 1/2 way up the volume, just where it'd be for gigs. At that point, the tone would sound more organic and less ice-picky, but also tight and aggressive. The main goal with metal amps is headroom, so the amp stays tight, a 5-30W amp just doesn't cut it if you need loud volumes all the time IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by XtAsY2007

Yes, but who cares? It's a moot point since none of the amps in his price range are likely to be below 50W anyway. A lot of people here seem to think that if something is high-wattage it'll sound crap at regular volumes.

In reality, half of the greatest guitar tones you'll ever hear on records are using 50W or 100W heads at reasonable volumes, especially towards the late 70s/80s. Saturating your tubes for overdrive is, like a good drive pedal, another tonal weapon to add to your arsenal - it's by no means essential to good tone.
Quote by MatrixClaw
No one said power tube saturation is bad for metal, in moderation.

I was referring to his 35W amp suggestion. My Classic 30, which is 30W, would almost need to be cranked to the max to be heard over the drums at band practices, in which case it would become very loose. Granted, the C30 isn't really made for metal, but the only other low wattage amp that is even close to his budget that is made for metal is the Krank Rev Jr, which the 20W version will still sound fairly loose and more usable for hardrock when cranked then it would be for metal.

Most high-wattage amps will be at their "sweet spot" at less than 1/2 way up the volume, just where it'd be for gigs. At that point, the tone would sound more organic and less ice-picky, but also tight and aggressive. The main goal with metal amps is headroom, so the amp stays tight, a 5-30W amp just doesn't cut it if you need loud volumes all the time IMO.

Actually MC, the Krank Rev Jr Pro is just $50 more than the Krank Rev Jr, and the Rev Jr Pro would be much better suited to metal than the standard Jr. Although, yeah, both the amps are out of the TS' budget unfortunately.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Actually MC, the Krank Rev Jr Pro is just $50 more than the Krank Rev Jr, and the Rev Jr Pro would be much better suited to metal than the standard Jr. Although, yeah, both the amps are out of the TS' budget unfortunately.

Really? Interesting, thought they were at least $100 more. Why the hell would anyone buy a non pro then?

Oh well
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com