I was given the gutted body of a Peavey Predator AX. When I say gutted, I only mean the electronics. The guitar still has tuners, a trem, and an output jack.

There have been some modifications made. The fretboard has been scalloped between frets to what I would almost call a severe degree. Is this normal or helpful for certain things? It looks like someone tried to do some extra routing in the body cavity, and one corner is a little chewed up. I'm not really worried about the aesthetics though. The body cavity is shielded with foil, but there are some spots that aren't covered, including the chewed up corner. Is this a problem?

I would like some direction on turning this thing into a playable instrument if possible and practical. I really have no experience with electric guitars. I have played acoustic and classical for maybe eight years now and would like to start playing some electric. If I could somehow make the guitar playable for <= $200, that would be great. If that isn't possible, I'm willing to spend more, but it will prolong the project.

Right now, I'm looking for advice on where and how to start. I would like to play mostly blues and rock with this guitar. I am slowly reading through a lot of the material in the help sections of this forum and perusing several of the links to Seymour Duncan and the like.

Any help will be appreciated. If this post is somehow inappropriate, I will take it down. Pics forthcoming if they would aid anyone in aiding me.
We need pics before we can really help you.

I'd say it's worth it though.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Pixxxxxx
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
a set of (good) pickups for 200$... not gonna be to easy, 2nd hand maybe...

and i would say "just get XXX for the bridge pickup!!" but if you play acoustics, your gonna tend to use both pickups, or the neck pickup more. well i would expect anywho.

and yes, pics plz.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Last edited by metal-matt at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by metal-matt
a set of (good) pickups for 200$... not gonna be to easy, 2nd hand maybe...

and i would say "just get XXX for the bridge pickup!!" but if you play acoustics, your gonna tend to use both pickups, or the neck pickup more. well i would expect anywho.

and yes, pics plz.

This whole post = what?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
honestly dude? i would say **** this and buy a guitar thats intact. i would say without knowing anything about ur situation u would proly spend...300+ and many frusterationg hours. which the guitar was proly not worth in the first place and will definatly never b again. if i were u i would get a little cash together and go into ur local guitar stores and talk to ppl and decide what u can afford and play every guitar u like the look of in the prosses, then buy a guitar that already works.
unless u want to build a guitar more than u want to play a guitar, in that case knock urself out.
I Shit You Not

I really don't know what kind of angle you need. I'll look at some other threads to get an idea. Also, as I previously stated, I don't really mind if it costs more than the $200 I put forth originally, and if I didn't want to work on this myself, I probably wouldn't have asked in the first place. If the guitar has a decent body, I see no reason to just write it off. I've got a little money and plenty of time so I figured I'd try this. I already have guitars I can play. My desire to build is really in no competition with my desire to play, since I can do both. Let's just assume that I would like to finish this guitar and use it as a bit of a learning process.
Quote by chuckflan333
This whole post = what?

pickups= expensive.

and a person who plays acoustics wont wanna be stuck with 1 pickup.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Dr.JBone
...I don't really mind if it costs more than the $200 I put forth originally, and if I didn't want to work on this myself, I probably wouldn't have asked in the first place. If the guitar has a decent body, I see no reason to just write it off. I've got a little money and plenty of time so I figured I'd try this.
$200 goes plenty far for just the pickups/electronics. But before you decide how much to invest (maybe a less than $200), you should string it up and find out what you're working with. Can you get the action & intonation set properly? Does it play well? Is the tuning stable, or do you have issues with the trem/nut/tuners? You don't need pickups to test any of that.

If you decide it isn't worth all that much, you could get a prewired pickguard from GFS for $35~50. Nothing to write home about, but it will make your free guitar functional.

Worth more than that? Expand your budget above the $50 mark.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well, I'll give you a quick rundown here...
Pickguard: $10
Pickups: 20-$100 each. You need at least two.
Pots: $3 bucks or so each. you need between two and four.
Switch: $1 or so
Wire: I'm not even going to count it.
Screws: again, screw it. (ABASSDRUMASNAREANDACYMBALFALLOFFACLIFF...BAH-DUM...CRASH!)

You can max out at 214 or so, or you can use ebay, craigslist, guitarheads.net and guitarfetish to get yourself down to 60 or 70 bucks. Depends on the guitar you want.

One way or another, definitely do it. If I had a free guitar, I'd do a ****load to it. (I've just got a 50 dollar guitar, and I'm still doing a crapload.) I would suggest going for active pickups, though. Who knows what kind of wood that thing is made out of...
Then again, what are you trying to play with this? Because you said that you're an acoustic player, but you haven't said what you want to get in to playing with this. If you do, we can give suggestions on where to look.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
GFS?

and anyways, what guitar player do you wanna sound like? if you want to sound like Slayer, then requesting some cheap single coils is a bad idea.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
$200 goes plenty far for just the pickups/electronics. But before you decide how much to invest (maybe a less than $200), you should string it up and find out what you're working with. Can you get the action & intonation set properly? Does it play well? Is the tuning stable, or do you have issues with the trem/nut/tuners? You don't need pickups to test any of that.

If you decide it isn't worth all that much, you could get a prewired pickguard from GFS for $35~50. Nothing to write home about, but it will make your free guitar functional.

Worth more than that? Expand your budget above the $50 mark.

This seems so obvious, I wish I'd already done it. I'll pick up some strings today and see if I can't get a feel for how it will play.

Also, I did some research and think that the guitar is most likely a poplar body with maple neck and rose fretboard. It was definitely made in the USA, and wiki says the AX was only made for two years. I've read some favorable reviews that say the guitar is underrated and that the neck is very good. Obviously, the neck is a personal thing, but at least it isn't just getting trashed by everyone. Couldn't find any for sale anywhere, but most of the reviewers paid between just over $100 used up to around $250 new and seemed to think it was a really good deal for the money.

Anyway. Be back later with strings. Thanks for the interest.

Edit: Before I go, to answer the above question. I have no intention of sounding like slayer. I would like to play mostly blues and rock. I like SRV, Cray, Santana, Los Lonely Boys, Zeppelin, and various others as far as that vein goes.
Last edited by Dr.JBone at Sep 8, 2009,
it's a free guitar so obviously it's worth it. start by refinishing it. since it cost you nothing then it's a perfect specimen for experimentation and if you f something up it wont matter much since it was free. then move on to getting a pickguard and electronics. you can have yourself a pretty damn good guitar at the end of it.
really, I think $200 would be plenty for what you're wanting to do to it. the parts that would cost the most would be the pickups, tuners, and bridge. but you've already got tuners and a bridge, so unless the tuners are really shitty you'll just be buying pickups, along with a bunch of cheap stuff.

I hear GFS pickups are good, and they're cheap. if you go with them, you might end up spending around $100.

but then again if you bought name brand pickups it would probably end up around your $200 mark.

anyways, the scalloped neck should be fine as long as it's not getting into the truss rod. when I scalloped mine I accidentally went deeper than I meant to, but its still fine.

and the chewed up cavity is alright seeing how it will be covered by a pickguard.

could you take a better picture of the cavity? it looks like the shielding won't be making contact with the pickguard when screwed in. if you want it to be properly shielded you'll need to either buy a shielded pickguard or shield whichever one you buy yourself (not hard to do) and you need to make sure that the shielding in the cavity makes contact with the pickguard shielding when it's screwed on. and you need to ground the shield as well
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
and you need to ground the shield as well

someone can correct me if i'm wrong (and i'm sure they will) but i remember reading somewhere that the cavity shield isnt meant to be grounded since it's only purpose is to shield rf noise from interfering with the guitar and grounding the shielding doesnt add much benefit and can, in a few certain cases, introduce a ground loop. again i might be completely wrong but thats what i remember reading somewhere, might have even been on here.
For me it would be worth it.
You can make it all yourself and completely customise.
plus all you have to pay for is some pickups and volume stuff.
It has some sweet potential
I was hoping you could go with me and when you went with me we could hold hands and I could call you my real girlfriend.
Quote by noisefarmer
someone can correct me if i'm wrong (and i'm sure they will) but i remember reading somewhere that the cavity shield isnt meant to be grounded since it's only purpose is to shield rf noise from interfering with the guitar and grounding the shielding doesnt add much benefit and can, in a few certain cases, introduce a ground loop. again i might be completely wrong but thats what i remember reading somewhere, might have even been on here.
probably was UG. the parrots pick up one tidbit of information and misapply it wherever they can.

to be effective, the shielding should definitely be grounded.

if you depend on the shielding to deliver signal grounds, you'll likely cause problems.

if you run across the place where you read that the cavity shield shouldn't be grounded, link it please.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
probably was UG. the parrots pick up one tidbit of information and misapply it wherever they can.

to be effective, the shielding should definitely be grounded.

if you depend on the shielding to deliver signal grounds, you'll likely cause problems.

if you run across the place where you read that the cavity shield shouldn't be grounded, link it please.

i knew something wasn't right about it.
If you got it for free, it's worth it no matter what condition it's in. It always costs someone else effort to put something together. If you got it for free, then you got lucky.

..philosophy aside, if you really have to, find out what kinda tonewood the body's made out of, and fill it up with blocks of the same wood. Then reroute it for whatever kind of configurations you need.
Got some strings and strung it up. Plays pretty nicely as far as I can tell. Loads different from my acoustics or classicals so I'm no expert. I need a specific allen key to adjust the height of the saddles that I don't happen to have. I have one too small and many too large but not the right one. I'll have to pick that up tomorrow. The intonation is already pretty solid. Solid enough for me not to mess with it atm. The action on most of the strings is good. The low E string buzzes on the 21st fret pretty badly right now though and one side of the low E saddle is lower than the other, but like I said, I can't fix it tonight. It sounds good for an empty electric guitar to me though.

Sorry for the poor quality. It's a webcam. I might be able to get a decent camera if that seems necessary. Tried to get a better picture of the body cavity. None of the shielding comes up on top of the guitar.

Quote by The4thHorsemen
anyways, the scalloped neck should be fine as long as it's not getting into the truss rod. when I scalloped mine I accidentally went deeper than I meant to, but its still fine.

Doesn't seem to be too deep, and upon playing it, I kind of like it.

Quote by noisefarmer
it's a free guitar so obviously it's worth it. start by refinishing it. since it cost you nothing then it's a perfect specimen for experimentation and if you f something up it wont matter much since it was free. then move on to getting a pickguard and electronics. you can have yourself a pretty damn good guitar at the end of it.

I really don't know anything about refinishing guitars. I've refinished furniture so maybe I can figure it out. The guitar was originally mint green, judging by the color left in the body cavities. I like to see the natural wood on a guitar so I will probably leave it as is for now. I could do some sort of clear finish, I suppose, but that might have to wait till I have the space.
Quote by Dr.JBone

I really don't know anything about refinishing guitars.

what better to learn on than a free guitar.
Quote by noisefarmer
what better to learn on than a free guitar.

well played.

and +1
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Remember with the scalloped fretboard, that the depth will have no effect on how it plays, as your fingers never touch the fretboard anyway! The only problem I could see is if it was WAY to deep and went into the truss rod or something....