Hey guys, I recently have been trying to look into getting a new pick up for my telecaster guitar, and I am a bit unsure of what to get. I'm a bit torn between what kind of sound I want to get out of it, I either want a metal sound, with some good crunch to it, or a sound more like the Mars Volta or Fall of Troy. Which pick ups would you suggest for either style? Mind you, it is a Single Coil pickup that i have now. I like playing a lot of technical stuff, so I don't really want a lot of hum out of it. If you guys have any ideas, I would really appreciate it!
What amp do you have?

Amp is 90% of your tone. Pickups are useless with a shitty amp.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I think that may be one of my main issues. I'm using a VOX AD15VT, which i know is way lame, however I've been looking at getting a new one for some time. Any suggestions for those as well? I want to get a good amp for the sound I'm looking for (Mars Volta, Fall of Troy or Metalcore sound) for a decent price. I was thinking about saving up big time for an Orange Amp, but if I can get something just as good for less, that would be great.
^+1 Tone is highly dependent on the amp.

But... should you still want to get a new PU, there are dual blade PU's that fit in a single slot for the Telly. Check out Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan's websites.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by derek.basler
I think that may be one of my main issues. I'm using a VOX AD15VT, which i know is way lame, however I've been looking at getting a new one for some time. Any suggestions for those as well? I want to get a good amp for the sound I'm looking for (Mars Volta, Fall of Troy or Metalcore sound) for a decent price. I was thinking about saving up big time for an Orange Amp, but if I can get something just as good for less, that would be great.

I'm not a big fan of the VT's but they're not bad. You should get a better amp before you get new pickups though... you won't notice much of a difference in tone if you get the pickups. If you can't afford to get a new amp then look around for some pedals that can suffice your needs in the meantime.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by derek.basler
Do you know any specifically for the tones I want?

For what genres/bands?

EDIT: Just take a trip to Guitar Center or a local store and play some different Overdrive or Distortion Pedals
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Last edited by JayT44 at Sep 7, 2009,
Well I would like a Mars Volta or Fall of Troy tone, because I liked to play a lot of technical stuff, but also suggestions for a metal tone would be cool too.