How are these budget guitars? On par with Squier Classic Vibe/Mexican Fender level? Better? Or crap?
Way better than mexican Fenders. I played a Sterling AX40 (axis model) and it was about 90% as good as the real thing (IMO)

(^ the end of the world)
Awesome to hear! Next step....these guys seem like the most versatile guitar to be found for this price. Are there any other versatile contenders around this price?
They are contenders you might wanna look at like schecter or ibanez. Anyways, I would consider Sterling as "budget", as these guys are better than thier discontinued brothers (OLP), sporting better parts. These are more like MIM fenders so to speak.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by GuitarGuy X
They are contenders you might wanna look at like schecter or ibanez. Anyways, I would consider Sterling as "budget", as these guys are better than thier discontinued brothers (OLP), sporting better parts. These are more like MIM fenders so to speak.

Okay, but which specific Ibanez and Schecters have the most onboard versatility in tones? I'm looking for something that'll do blues to hard rock.
Last edited by Always-Ben at Sep 11, 2009,
the Sterlings are awesome, ive played an axis and a Petrucci model and blew me away as they do feel extremely close to the Musicman counterparts.

id say look into Sterling as they do seem atleast to me as really good all rounder guitars
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs