Bought a Oscar Schmidt guitar at a flea market the other day for $50.00 everything was in great shape but the bottom of the bridge was starting to lift so I though what the heck Ill try and repair it. Took it home and put new strings on it and began to play sounded pretty good a different sound than all my other guitars more bright and crisp. So I took the strings off so that I didn't damage the bridge anymore than it already was. First I taped some paper and foil around the bridge. Then I got a spot light the heat lamp bulb I had was burned out so I just used a spot light and heated the bridge for about ten minutes. Then I took a sharp putty knife starting at the lighter side the side with the grain going down and went around the bridge and loosened it. Dug into the top at one spot a little bit but not to bad think I was in to much of a hurry might try a plastic tool instead off a metal one next time. Next I scraped all the old glue and finish of the top and bridge. Then I laid sand paper grit side up on the top and sanded the bridge so it would fit the top perfect but the top was very level anyway. Sanded top and bridge some and then scored them with a knife. Ready to glue now needed clamps they were fourteen dollars on a guitar site but I found two five inch C clamps at Freight Liquidator's for six bucks a piece. I took hot plastic and molded the shape of the bridge so I could use it to clamp the bridge down and cut a piece of wood for under the top, now I was ready for gluing bought some Titebond wood glue didn't want to mess with hide glue. I took two pens and pulled out the center and cut them off to stick in the bridge holes to line the bridge up now I was ready to glue. Rubbed glue on the bridge and top set bridge down inserted pins to line it up, put the plastic mold on top of bridge and stuck wood cut out in guitar attached C clamps and tightened them up. Let guitar sit for two days and took the clamps off then strung up the guitar next I tuned it and it sounds great. Checked the intonation and it is perfect so my first repair job turned out fairly well. Now I have the satisfaction of saving a guitar from the junk heap. So don't be afraid to try a repair yourself it just might turn out fine. I wouldn't try this on a high dollar guitar but something cheaper why not.
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER
Last edited by Rodney Rocket at Sep 8, 2009,
uhm ...... ok
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
ignore that ^

very nice! you can't even tell it was damaged. i'd be afraid of putting the bridge back in the wrong spot and having intonation off by just a hair. how'd you line in back up correctly?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
ignore that ^

very nice! you can't even tell it was damaged. i'd be afraid of putting the bridge back in the wrong spot and having intonation off by just a hair. how'd you line in back up correctly?
Well the intonation was already dead on so I just laid it down in the same spot inserted two plastic pins in the outer string holes so it didn't move when I tightened the clamps down.
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER