Page 1 of 2
I've wanted a Mesa Triple Recto for many years. I got one about 2 or 3 years ago and have loved it ever seance. Although it can be a pain if you like to keep your house clean and free of clutter. And you might want a clean amp, and an AB Y switcher, and reverb through the effects loop, and some effects to the Mesa, Some to only the clean amp, and some to both. Plus all the powercords to all the pedals and effects and amps, and all the cords to between effects and all the cords to the mics for recording. So set up and take down was a major pain in the ass. But I still loved the Mesa.

Until last week, I bought a brand new Line 6 Spider Valve, after being urged to by a friend who is on tour with his band.

He used to work at a large guitar store and told me that the amp section was exactly like the Bogner's (all schmatics are identical!), but with added effects and very user friendly controls. So it really is a real tube amp!

So I picked up the Spider Valve HD100 head for $430 last week, and I couldn't be happier!!! It is so easy to use, you can set your presets and just click the button or foot controler and it brings back all your setting..... SO THERE IS NO MORE WORRIEING ABOUT SOMEONE MOVING THE SETTINGS ON YOUR AMP!!! Plus it is very easy to set up, one cord for the controler. It works great for recording cause it has a SLR output that actually sounds great plugged into a recording system (see pics). And all you have to change for gigs is your volume, then just use the foot controller. Plus it has a built in tuner with a display on the foot controller. Its got 200 preset sounds and 36 user pre-sets you can change and save for instant recall at the click of the foot switch, and all you need to change for a gig is the volume! It all works very well!!!

But the best part? IT SOUNDS FREAKING AWSOME!!!!! I can get the same sounds (if not better) in the Line 6 that I can get with my Mesa! It really sounds like a Bogner. Just with really good effects!!!! It is sooo good I'm gonna be selling my Mesa Triple Recto cause I now have no use for it! And sence they are comming out with a new model soon you can pick one up for mid $400 range!

It is the best amp I've ever played on, and if you've never tried one I URGE you to!!!

my old set up

Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
Last edited by speedinc at Sep 9, 2009,
you should upgrade your cab if you sell your Mesa
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by TheLetheProject
Nice dog.

But seriously, you really prefer the Line 6 over the Mesa?

Yup, it is seriously that freakin good!!!
Made in Detroit
Or is it just more versatile? If your going to sell your Mesa, take a look at the Line 6 HD147 just to try out and compare it with the Spider Valve. I was never fond of the Spider Valve.
Congrats on the NAD. I'm not surprised that you made the trade - Rectifier Solos are pretty meh amps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by speedinc
I've wanted a Mesa Triple Recto for many years. I got one about 2 or 3 years ago and have loved it ever seance. Although it can be a pain if you like to keep your house clean and free of clutter. And you might want a clean amp, and an AB Y switcher, and reverb through the effects loop, and some effects to the Mesa, Some to only the clean amp, and some to both. Plus all the powercords to all the pedals and effects and amps, and all the cords to between effects and all the cords to the mics for recording. So set up and take down was a major pain in the ass. But I still loved the Mesa.

Until last week, I bought a brand new Line 6 Spider Valve, after being urged to by a friend who is on tour with his band.

He used to work at a large guitar store and told me that the amp section was exactly like the Bogner's (all schmatics are identical!), but with added effects and very user friendly controls. So it really is a real tube amp!

So I picked up the Spider Valve HD100 head for $430 last week, and I couldn't be happier!!! It is so easy to use, you can set your presets and just click the button or foot controler and it brings back all your setting..... SO THERE IS NO MORE WORRIEING ABOUT SOMEONE MOVING THE SETTINGS ON YOUR AMP!!! Plus it is very easy to set up, one cord for the controler. It works great for recording cause it has a SLR output that actually sounds great plugged into a recording system (see pics). And all you have to change for gigs is your volume, then just use the foot controller. Plus it has a built in tuner with a display on the foot controller. Its got 200 preset sounds and 36 user pre-sets you can change and save for instant recall at the click of the foot switch, and all you need to change for a gig is the volume! It all works very well!!!

But the best part? IT SOUNDS FREAKING AWSOME!!!!! I can get the same sounds (if not better) in the Line 6 that I can get with my Mesa! It really sounds like a Bogner. Just with really good effects!!!! It is sooo good I'm gonna be selling my Mesa Triple Recto cause I now have no use for it! And sence they are comming out with a new model soon you can pick one up for mid $400 range!

It is the best amp I've ever played on, and if you've never tried one I URGE you to!!!

my old set up

Get the SVPRE! It will make everything ten times better!
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Ghold125
Or is it just more versatile? If your going to sell your Mesa, take a look at the Line 6 HD147 just to try out and compare it with the Spider Valve. I was never fond of the Spider Valve.

the HD147 isn't tube, and doesn't sound just like a Bogner when you crank it though.

but Line 6 has started building some great stuff!
Made in Detroit
The HD100 is a great amp. It does not, however, have an identical tube layout. Its a simple system though.

Preamp Modeler - > Preamp Tubes - > Effects -> Tone Section - > Power Tubes - > Output Transformer

Thats really all there is to the spider valves. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of them and they have some of THE best affordable effects systems on the planet, its just that they don't sound quite like the amps they model after. Very good renditions, but if you took a uberschall and put it next to a sv100 you'd be able to tell which is which without looking.

But like I said, they're great amps, and the fact that you got it so cheap makes me want to find that good of a deal. And high five for flipping mesa the bird xD
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
excellent job sir...i work in a big guitar shop / chain and have worked the guitar/amp for 2 years now. I've had marshalls, vox, fenders, peaveys, and many other tube heads / combos role in and out. When the spider valve head came out I instantly thought that it had to be an overplayed gimmick, especially when it sells under a grand new. However, sure enough, it is all tube, same basic setup as the spider III, but with a full tube pre and power section. Now the tone isn't the absolute best I have ever heard (H&K triamp for one, and Rivera K-Tre), but for god sakes it sells new for $700-800 US new and the tone is incredible. After playing with it for a month and waiting to see if they have any common problems (they don't) I (a guy with a $2,000 Rivera head) forced my co-guitarist to buy one and honestly it sounds fantastic...and the sad thing is, even though I still prefer my tone, my amp by no meens downplays his. If anything they compliment each other quite well. Once again kudos to you for making the switch, and to anybody else who is in the market for a valve head...concider this amp with an open mind (concidering line 6's notorious track record) and I think you will be suprised.
could have gotten a vetta -_______-

:P

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
It's hard to not make this post seem condescending, but, why not get a Vetta 2? I've played both and the Vetta is leaps better.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Congrats man!
I would do the same thing.
I don't really like the Rectifier Solo Heads. Spider Valves are great!

HNAD!!!!!

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Glad to see someone is actually giving the SV the respect it deserves on this forum. I don't know if I'd get rid of my Recto over it, but if it was a Vetta, that'd be a different story, I love mine to death.

Did you check out the Peavey Vypyr Tube? I tried one Friday at GC and was actually extremely impressed. The models of the Peavey amps actually sounded the worst to me, which is kind of ironic, but the Recto model was sick as hell, definitely not the same as a real Recto, but it had definition I VERY seldom hear in an amp, let alone one that costs that much.

P.S. I hope you bought you SV from American Musical, they're on sale for $450
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Glad to see someone is actually giving the SV the respect it deserves on this forum. I don't know if I'd get rid of my Recto over it, but if it was a Vetta, that'd be a different story, I love mine to death.

Did you check out the Peavey Vypyr Tube? I tried one Friday at GC and was actually extremely impressed. The models of the Peavey amps actually sounded the worst to me, which is kind of ironic, but the Recto model was sick as hell, definitely not the same as a real Recto, but it had definition I VERY seldom hear in an amp, let alone one that costs that much.

P.S. I hope you bought you SV from American Musical, they're on sale for $450

The one thing I find that plagues tube modellers is that unless you get the master volume high enough to get the t00bs cooking, the amp still sounds distinctly digital.

However, once the t00bs are cooking, the sounds are pretty impressive.

Sadly enough, I've only been able to crank the master volume on my Spider Valve a few times.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
can't believe what i'm reading. now i really need to try them.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
haha i've never tried the spider valve, i've tried the spiders ss amps and those i hated, but after reading this i owe it to myself to go try one
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Remember to crank the amps.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
glad you found an amp you're happy with, man. HNAD

(i'm proud of UG for the very low level of flaming in this thread. hahah)
Quote by Mack56
glad you found an amp you're happy with, man. HNAD

(i'm proud of UG for the very low level of flaming in this thread. hahah)

Couldn't possibly flame the TS, I had a SV Head for a couple of months. Ridiculously easy to gig with because of the whole footswitch preset thing, and I never had to turn the master volume past a third of the way to drown out the rest of my band. Never was completely satisfied with the tones I got out of it though, always felt like the digital pre-amp section was having a bit too much influence and everything was a bit sterile, perhaps had something to do with never being able to push the power tubes properly.

And now as I type this I realise all I had to do was turn down the pre-amp volume on my presets and use more master.

F**K

Anyway yeah congratulations, for the money I reckon its a stupidly good amp.
I've played both amps because the other guitarist in my band owns both of them as well as an ENGL standard cab with V60 speakers.

I've got to say that the Mesa blows the Line 6 away.
The line 6 sounds terribly digital.
When he solos, it sounds like someone is playing a really loud gameboy.
I'm not even exaggerating much.
If i was a millionaire and had nothing important to buy,
i would buy a line six valve just to beat the sh*t out of it.
Line 6.
NEVER AGAIN.
HNAD!

but i would trade the Line 6 for a Line6 HD147 or a vetta, they're much better than the Spider Valve.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by ragingkitty
The one thing I find that plagues tube modellers is that unless you get the master volume high enough to get the t00bs cooking, the amp still sounds distinctly digital.

However, once the t00bs are cooking, the sounds are pretty impressive.

Sadly enough, I've only been able to crank the master volume on my Spider Valve a few times.

I found that true for the SV, but the Vypyr was surprisingly organic sounding at all volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Pennderinn
haha i've never tried the spider valve, i've tried the spiders ss amps and those i hated, but after reading this i owe it to myself to go try one

Althouth some of the posts are probably right, the Spider Valve doesn't sound "exactly" like a recto or a Ubershall, it does however have a GREAT tube sound of its own.

And with all the features and truely GREAT effects, and presets......

You've gotta try one!!!! (And I used to talk crap about Line 6 when they first started out, all the way up to recently when I tried a friends POD about 8 months ago)!
Made in Detroit
Im sure its a great amp for the price but..... my god.... have you ever actually played a bogner? a custom shop...not the alchemist. Totally worth the insane price tag. My ecstasy had me creamin in my britches at first power chord, i guarantee a spider doesn't have the same vibe to it.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

HNAD speedinc!

Lots and lots of prawn

PS: I saw your spinning rod too. Sweet.

EDIT: Side note for MatrixClaw - was it you or MESAEx that despised the tube Vypyrs just a month ago? I ask because I noticed you've been talking up the Vypyr 60 lately. Just askin'

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Side note for MatrixClaw - was it you or MESAEx that despised the tube Vypyrs just a month ago? I ask because I noticed you've been talking up the Vypyr 60 lately. Just askin'

Must've been Cory as I've never played a Vypyr until Friday
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sweeeet I love my SV too

You should start a SpiderValve thread where we can share settings and junk
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo
Good decision sir! I love my Spider Valve, just picked it up with the matching 4x12 cab with celestion V 30's over the labor day weekend.

Although, I don't use a any of the built in effects. I got the fbv and use it for channels but I use my m13 stompbox modeler for reverbs and delays and whatnot.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
Quote by JMeasles
Good decision sir! I love my Spider Valve, just picked it up with the matching 4x12 cab with celestion V 30's over the labor day weekend.

Although, I don't use a any of the built in effects. I got the fbv and use it for channels but I use my m13 stompbox modeler for reverbs and delays and whatnot.

Hope you got it from American Musical as well, the heads are only $450.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
HNAD Buddy!

I was so close to being a SV owner a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the thing from Musiciansfriend, and they told me that I was getting one of the last ones in stock. As it turned out, they were backordered, so I ended up getting my Egnater off of them for $700. Had I gotten the SV though, I would have used an attenuator and changed the speaker, as well as installing the famous SVpre mod. I've heard that Eminence 125's sound beastly through the thing.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by MatrixClaw

Nope. Actually I got it thru Best Buy. Paid around $900 for the head and cab together. Austin's Best Buy has a music section and since my lady works for Best Buy we got a nice discount.

The ONLY complaint I have is that when you change to a preset the 'default' channel volume is loud so it screams at me if I forget to wiggle the channel volume.

And what is this "famous SV pre mod" ?
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 412 cab V 30's
Quote by JMeasles
Nope. Actually I got it thru Best Buy. Paid around $900 for the head and cab together. Austin's Best Buy has a music section and since my lady works for Best Buy we got a nice discount.

The ONLY complaint I have is that when you change to a preset the 'default' channel volume is loud so it screams at me if I forget to wiggle the channel volume.

The SVpre mod replaces the solid state preamp circuitry of the Spider Valve with a 12AX7-based circuit. You still have all the modelling though. It really improves the feel and the tone of the amp.

http://www.strymon.net/products/svpre/
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by JMeasles

Well even better!

http://www.strymon.net/products/svpre/
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
If I was going from Mesa to Line 6, I would have gone for the Vetta, or even the Flextone.
Ok I did some readin on that Strymon mod, I think I can see one of those in the future, but I'm going to wait and use that sate myself when the inevitable desire for more kicks in. I'm happy as it is.
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 412 cab V 30's
Quote by Gmarkey
Sweeeet I love my SV too

You should start a SpiderValve thread where we can share settings and junk

I'll second that!!!
Made in Detroit
Quote by MatrixClaw

Nope, I got mine from Motor City Guitar in Waterford Mi, $430.
Made in Detroit
Page 1 of 2