Page 1 of 2
Im Gonna Go To Berklee In Boston!!!
i did all the research and with student loans and scholarships and bursaries and all that junk i think i have a shot at the whopping $50,000 estimate per year

my bass teacher talked me into it
its known as the best modern music collage in the world

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Last edited by Narcotics at Sep 8, 2009,
Julliard's better

/random asshole comment
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Congratulations!

Where you go isn't going to be lifechanging, but what you do once you get there can be.

And spelling counts; even at music shcool.
im pretty excited
did u kno michael manring went there?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

That is pretty cool, but why is it a life changing decision? And so I don't look like such an ass from my first post, all his first post said was "I'm going to Berklee in Boston".
Quote by Narcotics
im pretty excited

Along with John Mayer and a tonne of other pro muso's.
Congrats man, I'm thinking of going for an audition to get into JMC Academy in Melbourne to study popular music and performance, but I'm not sure if I should have a full on year or practicing and refinement before I give it a shot.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Congrats man, I'm thinking of going for an audition to get into JMC Academy in Melbourne to study popular music and performance, but I'm not sure if I should have a full on year or practicing and refinement before I give it a shot.

Haha i might see you there. Although i'm going to finish my VCE before that.
Petrucci and Vai also went, as did most, if not all of Dream Theater
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by fretsonfire74
That is pretty cool, but why is it a life changing decision? And so I don't look like such an ass from my first post, all his first post said was "I'm going to Berklee in Boston".

its life changing because iv never been a good student i always struggled with school and people always said if i apply myself to school like i do to music it would be no problem

so i have to change it all up and be a good student at an amazing school
which iv never done

no smokin weed/ practice day in and day out/ do the homework/ study/ behave in general

all things iv never really done in school haha

RCC, muthaz.

community college is br00tuhlz!!!

seriously Narc, good job. good job
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Narcotics
im pretty excited

many of the greatest musicians/bands of all time when there man.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Petrucci and Vai also went, as did most, if not all of Dream Theater

Portnoy, Petrucci and Myung did. But they dropped out because DT was pwn.

Congrats man, wish i could go.
this really should be a blog
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Ahh congrats man, I remember the time when you just started and were a regular on here. And now, look at you, all grown up, going to college, makes me so damn proud!

EDIT - anyone remember this?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Sep 8, 2009,
congratulations, i had a friend who went there for bass. loved it.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by consecutive e

I got into JMC this year in Brisbane, looks like a really good place. And if i were you id go in and audition now. Your chances are quite good if your applying for bass, because they need all the bass players they can get. Good Luck
slaptasticdave just started there, so you may want to PM him for more info. Also Stuart Hamm was a student at Berklee as well and has taught classes there on occasion.

While the audition and acceptance process is not as difficult as Julliard, its a tough audition nonetheless. Good luck!
Quote by the humanity
RCC, muthaz.

community college is br00tuhlz!!!

seriously Narc, good job. good job

Hey, I'm going to community college!

Of course playing in the worship band at Campus Christian Fellowship will be the first time I've been in a band for a year.

How I miss playing with other people...
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

Last edited by kstar22bassist at Sep 8, 2009,
Take off the rosy glasses, and consider how much in debt do you expect to be if you carry through graduation? You're too young to realize but try to think it through really hard because gradually any financial burden over $20,000 gets tougher to hoist when you're forced to pay rent, car payments + gas + insurance, food, utilities, girlfriend, etc. I see now some of my friends didn't think and now they struggle or will be in a gigantic hole even before mortgage and family and always one slip away from moving back to parents' basement or worse - this is stressful. Don't wake up an amateur one day too late, because it doesn't matter who famous went to your school, they're they and you're you and don't let your sense get clouded. Of course, if you've got the dough then go nuts.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Have you actually had the interview and audition?

Additionally, what major? Bass Performance?

yea bass performance
like this is jsut something i just got glooed in my head and i know there is ways of getting the money
my techer has set up interviews for people to go there before and says i easily have the chops

Quote by KingStill
Take off the rosy glasses, and consider how much in debt do you expect to be if you carry through graduation? You're too young to realize but try to think it through really hard because gradually any financial burden over $20,000 gets tougher to hoist when you're forced to pay rent, car payments + gas + insurance, food, utilities, girlfriend, etc. I see now some of my friends didn't think and now they struggle or will be in a gigantic hole even before mortgage and family and always one slip away from moving back to parents' basement or worse - this is stressful. Don't wake up an amateur one day too late, because it doesn't matter who famous went to your school, they're they and you're you and don't let your sense get clouded. Of course, if you've got the dough then go nuts.

yea... money has never been easy for my family
at least not in amounts like that
and thats per year

but ya iv thought about all that and rialize the chance but if i go there im not going to drop out... music comes easy to me in all forms

and i figure once i graduate i will have the credentials to make enough money to pay it all off

i go there i can get any music job anywhere i want pretty much

i might not get there for a year or two
i still have to finish my gr 12 (for the 3rd time)
im totally ready for everything that comes with this school and all the work and dedication it takes... and ill be even more ready when it cmes time for boston

Last edited by Narcotics at Sep 8, 2009,
Credentials dont get you as far as knowing the right people in the right places, But good luck with it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
thats what i mean
my bass teacher is a really well connected guy

Oh ok then i thought you ment like having what ever degree in whatever.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by KingStill

Take off the grey glasses and consider how far ahead a college/university education puts you against someone who only has a high school diploma. Yes, I'm gonna be in about $60,000 of debt when I finish my university education but it's probably the smartest thing to do right now.

Students get access to grants, low interest loans, scholarships and bursaries etc while out in the "real world" theres unemployment (which is highest in the 18-24 age group) which will lead to either more strain on our parents or signing onto benefits. Even if you can find a job you'll hit a glass ceiling without a college/university education in a few years with a below £20k a year job.

Don't get me wrong, getting into debt isn't a good thing to do, but if you do it in a controlled way (ie approved overdrafts, student loans and *not* on credit cards) then you'll be fine. Living at university is probably one of the best ways to learn good financial management.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by jonnomainman
Living at university is probably one of the best ways to learn good financial management.

...You were joking, right? Well, it made me giggle.

Studying Mechanical Engineering up at Robert Gordon's in Aberdeen in the early 90's - before the advent of the dreaded student loan - I made about £350 a month from my job, my grant was about £3.5k for the year. Adjusted to today, that's the equivalent of about £16k p.a. I was permanently skint, and not alone in that.
Late 90's, doing Mechatronic Eng, I did it with the loans/credit card route. And I'm still feeling the pain today. As are many of my friends. Student Loans Company? Faustian Pact! Shylock Inc.!
The best bit is, due to some odd circumstances, neither study has got me a shining career in engineering. I don't regret it either, 'cos I enjoyed the pursuit of learning, and stretching my intellect. Made some friends, had some good times.
The long and short is; unless your parents are loaded, and are prepared to pay for the whole thing, you'll be landed with big debts. If it's something you want to do, and believe in, it'll be worthwhile.
Just don't imagine that it's where you'll learn how to be sensible: a sensible student isn't doing it right.

EDIT:
Quote by jonnomainman
Take off the grey glasses and consider how far ahead a college/university education puts you against someone who only has a high school diploma.
This also far from universally true. There's a steady stream of graduates doing call centre jobs for £6/7 p.h. Have been for years. My £1500 investment in my HGV C+E license bags me £8+ p.h. Tradesmen - joiners, sparkies, etc., are on considerably more. So who's getting ahead? Yep, the guys who left school at 16, without much in the way of certificates.

BTW...TS, go for it. Berklee? I'd chew my right hand off for the chance...
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Sep 8, 2009,
yes im probably going to be getting loans and living in the collage and possible working in the collage

Quote by Narcotics
yes im probably going to be getting loans and living in the collage and possible working in the collage

are you sure you should be going to Berklee if you can't even spell college?

in any case, I really hope this doesn't just turn into a pipe dream for you. It has for some...

Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Sep 8, 2009,
Not rain on your parade, but Berklee isn't a very good choice for colleges. It has a huge drop out rate by sophomore year, I think it is like 60%. Most people who go there have the same I can do it attitude you do. Only >1% actually drop out because their band is going some where. Also job opportunities aren't that great for a graduating bass major. Just my 2 cents worth, anyways good luck. My bass teacher even taught some famous people, even after they graduated from Berklee, such as Victor Bailey.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
congrats man, Berklee is the ****.

And, as an added bonus, you're gonna get to live amongst us massholes! What more could you possibly ask for?
Dude, this is an awesome opportunity, one that I think most of us drool at haha. College life is pretty sweet, despite the debt. Happy for you, and best of luck to ya man!
im from scotland so i get my courses paid by the govt, but still i need my student loan for other things im doing an HND in CAD i just watch my cash make sure im budgeted to suit what is happening and i seem to do fine.

Its just a matter of doing things if its something you dont "NEED" to do dont do it, you save even more money in the short and long if you get what i mean.

I mean in gonna have a fair whack to pay back when i finish in 2011 or 2012 if i decide to go the degree route.But money management is critical at college or uni or you just end up in one hell of a rut.Also the economy's still not to great so a job to keep your ass on the line might be hard to come by.Even doing a normal job for a year to build up a little lump sum could be an option to consider aswell.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Really, go for it. But make sure to strive for more balance. That's what will keep you going all the way through to graduation, and that's what will get you through paying off the student loans whether you get to play for a living right away or not.

You need to be able to express yourself, both speaking and in writing-spelling counts! Even one spelling error can totally rob your credibility, and in a cuthroat world like the music industry, that can be the difference between getting your break or not.

Also, you have to stay fit so you can stay awake in class and concentrate on your homework.

Good luck.
Quote by xFilth
Aah, I love living in a country with free education

That's cool xFilth. Apparantly the quality of the education is so low that y'all can't figure out that you pay much more in higher tax rates than you would have spent on your own education (and other "benefits")
Page 1 of 2