Whats everyone's view on being an only child?

I am an only child. I was thinking about how it would have been different for me if i had siblings (well i have two half siblings i saw at christmas every year, but that didnt really count). I noticed that I had to basically teach myself everything, and was often the last one to know about things because i didnt have an older sibling to tell me about them (sex, music, etc.), but once u hit a certain age you have discovered enough of the world though to know whats goin on. and i noticed most of the things my friends taught me, they learned from an older sibling.

i think when i am older if I have kids I am going to try to have more than one. as a kid i often felt like i was in my own little world, i didnt have to share things, i had to learn everything myself, etc. the plus side is that i think it made me more independent. i wonder if those who have siblings are gonna say when they grow older theyre only gonna have one kid, cuz my folks both have siblings and my mom has a huge irish catholic family with like 7 siblings.

so, do u think its good to be an only child, or not?
I am an only child, I think everyone who is an only child sorta wants a sibling and everyone who has a sibling doesn't really appreciate it. Though I just live with my dad and he's basically a hairy 9 year old.

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
I think it would suck to be an only child. My brother always keeps me company, because I found out last summer that without him being there as a bud when there was no one else around, I basically went crazy playing Halo till 7am everynight.
Quote by Tire Me.
I'm basically one, as my siblings are much older and have been out of the house my whole life.

Best of both worlds I guess.

I hate you. That really is the best of both worlds.

I have a younger brother who is 2 years younger than me, and most of the time I hate his guts. If I could get rid of him for a while I would love it, although after a while I'd probably miss him.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I think people who grow up as an only child tend to have more of a tendency to be self centered and selfish than kids with siblings. Not my favorite qualities in people. I have two younger cousis who be only childs and both are selfish and have no concept of sharing and what is fair and right... it is a shame...
I would like more siblings, I only have a brother who is 2 years older. Although he does not live at home anymore so I'm pretty much an only child now....
I'm an only child and I love it.

I basically use my friends as siblings. I want to hang around them, I can, but I can also go home and have my peaceful alone time.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
im an only child and its great. kind of. if i had a brother he would probably take after me and that wouldnt be a good thing lol. and if i had a sister well i have no idea what would happen.
Classical Guitarist
only children are warped and not to be trusted. they are selfish, unconcerned users.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
only children are warped and not to be trusted. they are selfish, unconcerned users.

HEY! were not all like that. every human is like that. so i dont know what your talking about..........
Classical Guitarist
I have a love/hate relationship with my brother but I think it ended up for the best. For all the sh!t he gave me, all the grief he caused me, I've become more tolerant and patient with people. He drives me nuts and yet introduced me to some great things, so... yeah. I'm glad to have a sibling, despite all the crap that comes with it.
my boyfriend is an only child and he's emotionally abusive and cant share
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Zep_shizzle
HEY! were not all like that. every human is like that. so i dont know what your talking about..........

grow up with brothers and sisters. then date an only child.

fuuucked. uuuuup.
#DTWD
It's better than having an annyoing twin brother... as I have.
I appreciate my younger brother more.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by primusfan
grow up with brothers and sisters. then date an only child.

fuuucked. uuuuup.

if you continue to have a view like that its fine for you.but if you didnt grow up an only child you dont know whats its like. so from either point of view arguing is useless.
Classical Guitarist
I would hate to have been an only child. Not so much now, but when my brother and I were young we were pretty close, and I can imagine it would've been pretty lonely if it was just me. Although he never taught me anything useful..he definitely never taught me about sex..
i have siblings and for me its great, technically their all half siblings but my 2 older brothers i grew up with so i rarely take notice. I learned probably more things and became who i am probably more from my eldest brother than my own mother to be honest. One is 11 (the other is 8) years older than me so when i was young he was kind of like a third parent and as i grew up he became more like a buddy and we would joke around alot but i would still learn things from him. Now i have a 6 year old half sister because my dad married so it's kind of nice that i get to be the big brother this time.

Although now it's kind of like i'm an only child because my 2nd oldest brother moved out and in with his girlfriend. My eldest brother finally got a trip he wanted around europe so he's been gone for like 6 months and even though he should be coming back soon i bet that soon after he's gonna try get a job and move out which should take long with his Medical Science degree and numerous credentials. I guess recently i've become more self-reliant such just things like catching the bus/es to places i need to go and standing up for myself when in a fight with my mum. When i was 12-13 i probably would have been scared when my mother goes apeshit (while good most of the time she can be like that) but now i just tell her to shut the fuck up.

So i guess if i had kids i would probably have more, i could only imagine my life being worse without siblings.
I had a ****load of siblings and I still had to learn everything on my own. Would've been a helluva lot cooler if I had an older brother though.
Quote by melton100
I think people who grow up as an only child tend to have more of a tendency to be self centered and selfish than kids with siblings. Not my favorite qualities in people. I have two younger cousis who be only childs and both are selfish and have no concept of sharing and what is fair and right... it is a shame...

I dunno..I'm a living contradiction to that
Only child, and I'm a really selfless person oddly enough
I enjoy making others happy more than myself

I do wish I had siblings though...
Being alone almost all the time gets old real fast
I'm an only child and sometimes i wonder what it would be like if i had a really hot sister.
I know that for family you don't really see your blood relatives that way.

But i mean what if your sister is like crazy hot, and slutty, very seductive and you wake up with morning wood and go into the bathroom and she's in there naked getting out of the shower cause she forgot to lock the door or something and she checks out your package and smiles.
f*ck man.
tough decisions. tough decisions.
Quote by ShestShestShest
I'm an only child and sometimes i wonder what it would be like if i had a really hot sister.
I know that for family you don't really see your blood relatives that way.

But i mean what if your sister is like crazy hot, and slutty, very seductive and you wake up with morning wood and go into the bathroom and she's in there naked getting out of the shower cause she forgot to lock the door or something and she checks out your package and smiles.
f*ck man.
tough decisions. tough decisions.

Haha, I like the way you think
I have two younger brothers and a younger sister, and to be honest, I think I would be bored ****less had I been born an only child. Whenever I get bored, I can go see my brothers, I can get their feedback on things, watch movies with them, etc. If I was an only child, I'd have no-one to go speak to and mess around with whenever I felt like it, except for friends... but friends aren't available all the time.

Plus, I actually get bored when my brothers are out, specifically Josh, who is the closest to me age. Just my opinion.
I'm an only child and I quite enjoy it. No one to bother me, I like my personal space. AND you don't have to share ****.

If you feel lonely though, get a dog.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I'm a only child and was basically raised by my grandparents since my parents were split up when i was old enough to remember. My grandparents would take me to school (about 2 minutes away) from kindergarden till 6th grade then 7th i had to ride the bus to the junior high then high school i drove mostly.

My grandparents taught me alot of things about life and i helped my grandpa quit drinking (since he had gotten like 2 DWIs in one week) and lost his licenses, he would of eventually drunk his self to death, so im so thankful for that. My parents got back together (fixing to get married in october which is a shock) when i was in the 7th or 8th grade, he moved back in.

When I was at home, as a youngster, I basically raised myself, i wish i did have someone to play the super Nintendo with or you know just little kid stuff with. I was spoiled (still am) by both and that really didn't affect my attitude. I was just thankful as a kid to have someone to take care of me and im the same today.

But i do know some only childs that are really just a pain to be around, good raising is a must for a only child or they will be a handful when they're older.

End blog lol