when i screw my tremolo bar into my fender vintage style synchronized tremolo, the tremolo bar is tilting back. as in the bar is not perpendicular to the bride but more of a 95 or 100 degrees tilt back. Is this normal? I'm playing a mexican fender deluxe player strat if that helps.

heres a ****ty paint picture of the situation

thanks
i think its normal, but you could always get a different bar that isnt like that if you dont like it like that
It's normal. If you want less of a tilt, then make the trem float - the tilt was designed in such a way that the bar is more level when the trem is floating. If you don't like it, there's nothing you can do but change the bridge (however, IMO you'd be better off making the trem float) or not use the bar.

He could simply bend the bar to where he wants it (bend it off the guitar, of course).
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by SwamperGene

He could simply bend the bar to where he wants it (bend it off the guitar, of course).

It'd be difficult to get it back in unless he (wait for it) floats the trem, giving him more room to screw the bar back in.
o ive never owned a vintage tremolo, only a floyd rose so my initial though of course was to get the bridge parallel to the body. Is it suppose to be leaning forward? what advantages would it give for the bridge to lean forward
Quote by kenan6346
It'd be difficult to get it back in unless he (wait for it) floats the trem, giving him more room to screw the bar back in.

Not on a vintage style strat bridge, it can only go back until it's resting on the body, at which point the arm hole is (wait for it) straight up and down.

You can bend the bar however you like as long as you pay attention to control clearances including knuckle room which might be why they tend to be bent upwards in the first place.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by sirlaser
o ive never owned a vintage tremolo, only a floyd rose so my initial though of course was to get the bridge parallel to the body. Is it suppose to be leaning forward? what advantages would it give for the bridge to lean forward

You can adjust the bridge so it rests flat on the body allowing you to only drop the pitch of the strings (sounds like you have it there now), or float the bridge so the back edge is about 1/8" off the body so you can pull up in pitch, too. Both ways have their pros and cons, depends on your playing style really.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
And to throw out a bit of logic regarding putting a different bar in it.....the main difference would be.....

...the way it's bent.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
I can't play 'em not tilted, as they always hit the knobs.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by sirlaser

I thought the same thing - it took me ages to realise that the bridge has to lean forward for any up bend.

As for the pros: you can upbend, and the trem vibrato sounds nicer if you upbend rather than down bend. The cons: bending one string creates slack on the other strings, making them sound out of tune until the bend is returned, and because the bridge doesn't lock, it can go out of tune fairly easily with heavy use of the trem.

Quote by SwamperGene
Not on a vintage style strat bridge, it can only go back until it's resting on the body, at which point the arm hole is (wait for it) straight up and down.

What? I dunno if I understood that correctly, but in a vintage style strat bridge, the arm hole is at an angle of at least 20 or 30 degrees away from straight up and down when the bridge is resting on the body rather than floating. The reason for this is so that, when you do float the bridge, the bar doesn't hit the pickup selector or knobs.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by SwamperGene

Yep,if you have access to a table clamp its pretty simple....just don't make it totally 90 degrees or it will be hard to get enough leverage on it to bomb
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
Yep,if you have access to a table clamp its pretty simple....just don't make it totally 90 degrees or it will be hard to get enough leverage on it to bomb

As the owner of an army of Fender Strats, you ought to know that it's a bad idea though and through to bomb on a synchronized tremolo because it'll go out of tune almost instantly.

TS, in my opinion, you should just either make do with what you have or float the trem. Bending the bar will just make it all a whole lot harder than it needs to be, because you probably won't be able to screw the trem back in without pushing the bar past the body which will most likely damage the finish.
ya ill just make use of what i have, i think floating it would increase the action. i like it at where its at now

thanks
Quote by sirlaser
ya ill just make use of what i have, i think floating it would increase the action. i like it at where its at now

thanks

As far as I know, it wouldn't - I float mine. But hey, its your choice. Hope we could help a bit.