I've never really been interested in schecter guitars, too generic looking for me. I'm talking about the s-shape bodies of course. I've always been a jackson fanboy, mainly because RR made me get into guitar. Anyway, going back on topic. Why do people enjoy schecters so much? Maybe if I knew more about them (such as QC, feel, extras (pushpull pots and such), weight, body woods, etc.), I just may find an interest in them and be able to look beyond the body shape (I have no problem with s-Shapes, just a little too plain). So please fill me in as to why I see so many recomendations for these guitars. thanks!
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Well their biggest appeal is the specs they have for the price (I.E. EMGs, Blackouts, OFRs, etc). Their necks seem to be really hit-and-miss with a lot of people though. From the ones i've played they have very consistent QC. Some of their guitars do have coil taps stock. A lot of the higher-end ones are mahogany with a quilted maple top, so they can get somewhat on the heavy side.

They don't just make "s-shapes" which i'm assuming means the superstrat shape. Check out their website and you can look at the different models.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well their biggest appeal is the specs they have for the price (I.E. EMGs, Blackouts, OFRs, etc). Their necks seem to be really hit-and-miss with a lot of people though. From the ones i've played they have very consistent QC. Some of their guitars do have coil taps stock. A lot of the higher-end ones are mahogany with a quilted maple top, so they can get somewhat on the heavy side.

They don't just make "s-shapes" which i'm assuming means the superstrat shape. Check out their website and you can look at the different models.

I know they make more than S-shapes (Yes, superstrat), But I would never go over the top with a company i've never dealt with longer than 10 minutes at GC. Those just seem to be their main output on the production line.

You mentioned their necks. are they thick? thin? wide? narrow? And what's their fret size? I know most metal guitars go in the larger area.

EDIT:
Quote by innertom
go by a bc rich if you want strange body shapes

I'm not looking to buy. I'm just the main guitar junky in my group of friends and around school, so I do a lot of recomondations. I don't want to deny a good company of it's name just because i've never dealt with them.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Last edited by grayfox1001 at Sep 8, 2009,
I think most of their guitars have Extra-Jumbo fretwire. Their necks are somewhere between ibanez and Gibson's '59 necks. Not too thin, but not too thick. A lot of the necks have a gloss finish which i feel is too sticky for my tastes but some people don't mind it.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I think most of their guitars have Extra-Jumbo fretwire. Their necks are somewhere between ibanez and Gibson's '59 necks. Not too thin, but not too thick. A lot of the necks have a gloss finish which i feel is too sticky for my tastes but some people don't mind it.

I have a Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX and it does not have a gloss neck. It is very smooth and comfortable
Reliable and good QC? Yes. They are made (most of them) in the Cort factory so they would be good. A lot of people comment on the heavy, thick necks but maybe that is just a comparison with the ultra-thin Ibanez Wizard necks (some of them are made in the Cort factory too, but not as many as a few years ago).
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I've owned lots of top end guitars (Les Pauls, Strats, SG's, Tele's, Etc). I had never owned a guitar with a FR. I'm older, but still into heavier stuff. I went to GC a few times and played everything. Iby's, Jacksons, BC Rich, Dean, etc. Money was not the big issue.

My main guitar is a Les Paul 58 reissue with a bat for a neck. After it was all over, and played all of the guitars multiple times, the Schecter C1 Hellraiser was the one. I just kept coming back to it.
Last friday I went into guitar center and looked around for a few guitars, but the only one they had was the hellraiser, so I tried it out. Frets were jumbo and It looked great, but I have to say the gloss neck felt so slow to me. I kept feeling like my hand was getting stuck.
I personally love my Schecters. My damien 6 has a pretty slim neck on it, but its somewhat wide. My Hellraiser has a thicker neck, and being a 7 string its obviously wide. But it still has a really fast neck on it. I recommend Schecters to all my friends.
Schecters are consistently decent guitars that are good for the price. That's about all they are IMO, although I've never played a high-end one. For a few more hundred bucks you can get much much better than Schecter.
Because most people want decent guitars. I personally don't like Schecters, but some people do. People should get what they like. Illogical?
Quote by stratman7
Schecters are consistently decent guitars that are good for the price. That's about all they are IMO, although I've never played a high-end one. For a few more hundred bucks you can get much much better than Schecter.

You haven't played a higher end Schecter, but you still say you can do better.
Translation: I haven't played one, but I'm assuming based on others opinions that I wouldn't like them.

Schecter aren't the largest company around which in a way is good because you get more bang for buck feature wise. However, because they don't have the power of say, Gibson, they aren't able to ship all over the world as easily (Finding a dealer in the UK is not easy at all). Schecters are crafted in South Korea in the same factories as many other guitar brands (Cort maybe? I'd have to check) and are then shipped to the USA where they are inspected and set up. Because of this US setup their QC is considered quite good, as alot of duds don't make it to stores.

If you can find a mid-high range Schecter definitely try them out. All their necks aren't the same, just like how all Ibanez's aren't Wizard thin.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
the only complaints I've heard from most people are that their necks are too thick, but then they tell me that they love their Ibanez necks. so it makes sense that they dont like the thick necks after being so comfortable with wizard 2 necks. I find Schecter necks to be thinner than Fender and Gibson necks but not as thin as (obviously) Ibanez. ESP/LTD's feel slightly thinner than schecters, and I feel Jackson are almost in between Ibanez and Schecter as well. You just have to like the necks and realize that they're great for the money. even their low-end guitars are great for the price.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Schecter has, imo, hands-down the best 7 strings on the market
I miss Morbid, the metal forum sucks now
Quote by leftyace
Translation: I haven't played one, but I'm assuming based on others opinions that I wouldn't like them.

Schecter aren't the largest company around which in a way is good because you get more bang for buck feature wise. However, because they don't have the power of say, Gibson, they aren't able to ship all over the world as easily (Finding a dealer in the UK is not easy at all). Schecters are crafted in South Korea in the same factories as many other guitar brands (Cort maybe? I'd have to check) and are then shipped to the USA where they are inspected and set up. Because of this US setup their QC is considered quite good, as alot of duds don't make it to stores.

If you can find a mid-high range Schecter definitely try them out. All their necks aren't the same, just like how all Ibanez's aren't Wizard thin.

A little off topic, but relevant question: Is schecter owned by ESP? I was told by a salesman that they didn't carry schecters but they did carry ESPs. He said that most stores carry one or the other. What's the deal?
Quote by r3h0ld3r
A little off topic, but relevant question: Is schecter owned by ESP? I was told by a salesman that they didn't carry schecters but they did carry ESPs. He said that most stores carry one or the other. What's the deal?

The same guy owns both companies. In reality I don't think they really affiliate too much with eachother. Kinda how Fender owns Jackson ( I think)

Quote by leftyace

Basically, yeah. I've played all their mid-range stuff and it's decent, but my opinion about pretty much all brands in that price range is that it's always worth it to save up a few more hundred bucks. I skipped the mid-range step when I started buying guitars (Squier to American Deluxe Strat) and have never played a guitar that made me regret saving up the extra money.
Quote by stratman7
Basically, yeah. I've played all their mid-range stuff and it's decent, but my opinion about pretty much all brands in that price range is that it's always worth it to save up a few more hundred bucks. I skipped the mid-range step when I started buying guitars (Squier to American Deluxe Strat) and have never played a guitar that made me regret saving up the extra money.

Hm, maybe we have more in common then I first thought. I went from an LTD-50 to a C-1 Classic. I never really messed around with say a 200 series or a midrange RG. I don't know if I would call a C-1 'high range' but it is one of the best Diamond Series IMO, and Schecter doesn't do alot of 1k+ stuff anyways.

I have 2 guitars from schecter.

-C-1 Hellraiser FR (Retail: ~$800-1000 Paid: $600 for a B-Stock that was in absolute mint condition, was only a b-stock because of one small imperfection on the binding that is not even noticeable at all) Completely worth buying and never regretted it. Mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, set neck w/ultra access (no heel basically), x-jumbo frets, original floyd rose, emgs w/coil tapping on both p/u's. Neck is a bit thinner then gibson necks, thicker then an ibanez. I personally love the neck tbh, I played on acoustics my whole life before I converted back to electric. I felt right at home on this neck.

This guitars probably one of the heavier ones I have played, but I actually like the feel of it. Most of the weight is probably from the floyd though. I got mine in black cherry w/abalone binding. My only complaint with this guitar is the abalone binding, I liked it at first but now after having it for some time I realize its just not my thing, but its really not that big of a deal it still looks sexy.

-Schecter Solo-6 (Limited Edition - Black) (Paid: $800)
Ok this is schecters answer to the Les Paul basically. Its brand new just came out this year. Mine is the limited edition version which is slightly different then the classic. Its black with Mother of Pearl inlays and tuners, its got abalone on the 12th and 24th frets , cream binding, and a seymour duncan JB/'59 p/u combo (coil tapping on both p/u's). Mahogany body/Ebony Fretboard, Set neck (has a heel), X-Jumbo frets, TOM bridge.

Now the funny story about this guitar is I only got it because I just really wanted a second guitar that was Les Paul shaped with passive pups. I went to GC to try a bunch of Les Paul style guitars with this guitar specifically in mind. Trouble is they didnt have this in stock at the time, so I tried every other les paul shaped guitar they had in the store. Literally I tried about 20 different guitars that day, I wasnt digging any of them except for one PRS they had sitting there (I tried a TON of Gibsons and I didnt like a single one). They all felt awkward to play except the PRS, just somethin didnt feel right.

So I went home that night and decided to bite the bullet and buy the schecter because I know for a fact I like schecters necks, and because I love the feel of my hellraiser so much. When it got here let me say one thing. I was BLOWN away. It was so comfortable to play I didnt have to adjust at all, just picked it up and was off. Much lighter then the hellraiser obviously, but probably a midsized weight. Neck is almost exactly like the hellraiser, id say its just a hair thicker. To bring this to a conclusion, this is now my favorite guitar. Its my go-to for damn sure. And I feel like it beat out every other guitar I played at GC when I went up to try all the others, the only one I might've wanted more time with was the PRS.

Hope that helps

sorry if it was tl;dr
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 8, 2009,
if i'm not mistakened, dont hellraisers have extra jumbo frets, rosewood boards and OFR's? and the hellraisers are set neck with ultra access. not neckthrough. actually, most schecters are set neck. there are 4 or 5 models that are neckthrough, and the hellraisers not being one of them.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
if i'm not mistakened, dont hellraisers have extra jumbo frets, rosewood boards and OFR's? and the hellraisers are set neck with ultra access. not neckthrough. actually, most schecters are set neck. there are 4 or 5 models that are neckthrough, and the hellraisers not being one of them.

actually your right. I ****ed up hahaha.

I think i got mixed up.

Fixed
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by Dragonis
actually your right. I ****ed up hahaha.

I think i got mixed up.

Fixed

not quite, you forgot the set-neck part. still says neck thru.

I know my **** about Schecters.

EDIT: ok, i just noticed you fixed it after i posted this.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
not quite, you forgot the set-neck part. still says neck thru.

I know my **** about Schecters.

Fixed that. I forgot to the first time.

I actually was genuinely confused about the set neck vs neck thru though. As my hellraiser has no heal, it just looks like the body and the neck are all one piece. While my solo-6 has a heal that is noticable, but it says its a set neck. So i thought when it looks like the body and neck are one it was neck thru.

As far as the other stuff I goofed on. I forgot they were x-jumbo. And i dunno why I thought the hellraiser had an ebony fretboard, I'm sitting here looking at the two guitars and I'm like "thats obviously not right".

And the OFR vs LFR... im stoned and for some reason I thought "licensed" was the real one.

My brain is not working today. Forgive me
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 8, 2009,
ha, no problem man.
Quote by pedromiles101
i dont care who you are, those classics are some of the best looking guitars ever. i want one in the green.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by BurningStarlV

C-1 Classic ftw.

I feel like I'm always high-fiving you over this guitar

Quote by leftyace

I feel like I'm always high-fiving you over this guitar

i hug people who think the classics are amazingly beautiful and sound and feel great.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
i hug people who think the classics are amazingly beautiful and sound and feel great.

Even for the jacked price of $800 USD its a deal.

My only regret is that Schecter doesn't do 1k+ guitars other than sigs or customs. Because there really isn't anyway i can 'upgrade' to a better Schecter later on because in a way a Classic/Hellraiser/BJ ATX are their top production models

Quote by leftyace
Even for the jacked price of $800 USD its a deal.

My only regret is that Schecter doesn't do 1k+ guitars other than sigs or customs. Because there really isn't anyway i can 'upgrade' to a better Schecter later on because in a way a Classic/Hellraiser/BJ ATX are their top production models

true, but if you get their best, there's no need to upgrade. (well, there is the japanese and the prototypes and the custom shops)
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
true, but if you get their best, there's no need to upgrade. (well, there is the japanese and the prototypes and the custom shops)

But their best can't compete with other companies bests in terms of quality.

Here's how I see it. You get good specs for the price, that's all. You don't get a bad guitar by any means, but there are much better ones out there. They don't make high-end guitars like an ESP, Ibanez Prestige, or Jackson USA. If you're looking for a high-end guitar, Schecter isn't the company for you. Maybe in the future, they'll have a Schecter USA or Japan (it's an American Company owned by a Japanese guy so it can go either way) that makes high end production guitars. There is actually a Schecter Japan that's only in Japan. They seem pretty nice, but they make different guitars than the regular Schecter.

As for the neck, I find them uncomfortable too. I think they just combined too many things. It's fat like a Gibson Les Paul, has jumbo frets, and it has the scale of a Strat. None of those things are bad individually, but I don't think it works as well as it does on paper when mixed together. The sticky glossy thing is just bad though. A lot of companies have this problem so I can't really blame Schecter for that. It's pretty common and only a few companies use unfinished or satin-finished necks.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Sep 8, 2009,
Where can i buy Schecter in the UK?!?!??! WANT!!!

/jack
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic