just got a big muff with tone wicker shipped over from america (i live in Australia) and it kicks ass. so much low end! so i thought, what does UG think of Big Muff pedals and what are their favourite settings?
gear:
Charvel 750XL w/ Duncan SH15
Squier Affinity HSS strat
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
EHX Stereo Electric Mistress
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
ok wait a sec
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
here we go:
Guitar and amp:

Pedals:

and the big muff itself
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Last edited by krumpinjugger at Sep 8, 2009,
nice, I love big muffs and I really like your simple set up.....but what exactly does the tone wicker?
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Sep 8, 2009,
the tone wicker is a sort of treble boost that defines and opens up the sound. It helps it come out in the mix a lot too.
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Quote by krumpinjugger
the tone wicker is a sort of treble boost that defines and opens up the sound. It helps it come out in the mix a lot too.

ahh, thx
Control your destiny.
Best setting for any Big Muff is all knobs at 12 O'Clock. Combine that with a tubescreamer as a boost and it's just
just about to go use it with my band now, i've found the perfect setting.
volume at noon, tone at 2 o' clock, sustain at 4 o'clock and the neck pickup on my strat with the tone rolled back to 0. perfect for a pumpkins sort of sound and doesn't get muddy with lower power chords
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
I saw a pic of Pumpkins pedalboard. Tone and sustain are almost all the way down, volume at 3 o'clock and use your amps medium distortion. Also helps to put an octave pedal infront of the muff.
Quote by BrickIsRed
I saw a pic of Pumpkins pedalboard. Tone and sustain are almost all the way down, volume at 3 o'clock and use your amps medium distortion. Also helps to put an octave pedal infront of the muff.

could you link me to this pic? thanks much...

Quote by joe_k
HNPD!. try the wah after the big muff and see how you like it. i was pleasantly surprised when i tried it. now it is there permanently.

ok i'll try it. i've always heard that you should put the wah before distortion but i've also heard that you should put the EQ in front of the wah and IMO that sounds like crap. what sort of wah do you have? i find my V847a to have a lot of sweep but not much squelch, which kinda sucks
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Last edited by krumpinjugger at Sep 8, 2009,
Duuuude I need sound clips of that thing! HNPD!
Interviewer: You've said jamming is like having an orgasm.
Neil Young: That's why a lot of my instrumentals are too short!

Fender 1988 68'reissue strat
Orange TT Head
Epi Valve Jr cab
+ many pedals (and many more to come)
Quote by krumpinjugger

ok i'll try it. i've always heard that you should put the wah before distortion but i've also heard that you should put the EQ in front of the wah and IMO that sounds like crap. what sort of wah do you have? i find my V847a to have a lot of sweep but not much squelch, which kinda sucks

i have the same wah but i play a USA big muff. i have a feeling you are going to like the wah after the big muff if you like squelch.
Quote by Marsbe
Duuuude I need sound clips of that thing! HNPD!

i don't have a mic! i could direct inject my microcube into my pc but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the tiny terror...
Quote by joe_k
i have the same wah but i play a USA big muff. i have a feeling you are going to like the wah after the big muff if you like squelch.

i just tried it then and i don't really like it. it sort of feels like there's only two ranges and either sounds trebly or muddy. what dort of amp do you have? i spose tone is subjective and what one person likes another might not.thanks for the suggestion though. i'm going to hjave a play round with the order of my effects and see what's the best way. anyone have any ideas?
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Damn, that's a really cool looking pedal! I'd love to hear it

My favourite way to use a Muff is to put it before a TS or an EQ, so you can boost the mids and hear it in the mix. If you don't do that, the Muff just gets instantly lost as it cuts so many mids out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by krumpinjugger
could you link me to this pic? thanks much...

Seems he has the volume at midnight. Depends on what amp you're running it through.
Quote by BrickIsRed

Seems he has the volume at midnight. Depends on what amp you're running it through.

thanks!!!!
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Quote by krumpinjugger

I believe the wicker removes all the high-pass caps, to bring back in the treble. It's kinda like the secret to the Guild Foxey Lady's tone x3.

As for the wah problem...You will probably need a buffer in between there. If you ever get around to getting a tuner pedal, like the Boss TU-2, try sticking it in between the wah and the Muff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I believe the wicker removes all the high-pass caps, to bring back in the treble. It's kinda like the secret to the Guild Foxey Lady's tone x3.

As for the wah problem...You will probably need a buffer in between there. If you ever get around to getting a tuner pedal, like the Boss TU-2, try sticking it in between the wah and the Muff.

so what you're saying is put something with a buffer between the wah and the muff? what about an OD pedal that's not switched on? i know what a buffer is but i don't know what pedals have one. all i know is that his pedal isn't true bypass
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
it's this old thing called an arion. picked it up from pawn shop for like 10 bucks and it sounds like crap
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hah, no idea if the buffered bypass in there is any good. Try it anyway.

just tried with the muff-->EQ-->wah and it sounds better than wah-->muff-->EQ so thanks for the tip.does the EQ have a buffer? i don't think it does but then again i have no real idea XD. i tried the Arion and even an old behringer (shiver) bass OD that i had lying around and it sort of didn't work that well...
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Nice! I went for the Little Big Muff over this because it was £15 cheaper. What was I thinking???

Can I ask about your Orange amp? What are the cleans like? And is it a pain only having 1 channel?
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Quote by familybucket
Nice! I went for the Little Big Muff over this because it was £15 cheaper. What was I thinking???

Can I ask about your Orange amp? What are the cleans like? And is it a pain only having 1 channel?

the cleans on the tiny terror are better than people say. sure they're not fender chiming clean but they're still useable. they're very warm but there's not a great deal of headroom but still enough for me to jam with my band and not have it break up. if you really relied on cleans you could mic it up too.
1 channel isn't really a pain but you have to do some adjusting between songs.
i really really recommend a tiny terror. people whinge and complain about them but no amp is perfect and the tiny terror's sound is amazing!
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
anyone know if the big muff uses up batteries when it's plugged in but not on? i know my wah does i learnt the hard way :P
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ
Quote by krumpinjugger
anyone know if the big muff uses up batteries when it's plugged in but not on? i know my wah does i learnt the hard way :P

Yeah it will, but I think most pedals do. Just get a One spot adapter and it'll solve that problem.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Quote by familybucket
Yeah it will, but I think most pedals do. Just get a One spot adapter and it'll solve that problem.

is that like a daisy chain power supply? yeah i'm thinking of getting one. do they suck tone much? some people say yes and some people say no
gear:
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Yamaha RBX 170 bass
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker
Hardwire Delay
Vox V-847A Wah
Artec Dual Boost
Boss EQ