So I saw thread a while back of how to change your combo to a head. Seemed like a great idea, but I thought what if I wanted a combo again, like for instance if I bought another head and wnated to use the speaker of my combo, then later wanted to use the combo again. I though why not put a dpdt switch in so it switches from a combo to a head and cab. As long as I match the ohms, wattage and never turn my combo on when the switch is flipped to head then it should be fine correct?

Also should I use a different switch for this or a regular dpdt mini switch would be fine, and what gauge wire should I use?

Edit: The big circular object is the speaker.

Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Sep 8, 2009,
i'm not completely sure as i didn't read that thread. but your switch needs to be rated for the correct amount of amperes and volts. and is that in the bottom left a piezo?
No its supposed to be the speaker lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
oh okay. that makes much more sense.

edit: i think you get it. but never have both amps on at the same tim. you'll fry you amp is it's got no load.
Last edited by blandguitar at Sep 8, 2009,
I have no idea what "my amp" is. Be more specific.

Only tube type amps will fry with no load. SS amps are very very forgiving. You can almost do whatever you want with them. Even mis-match the speaker. This isn't to say you should be doing that, but if it happens, no worries. They'll do just fine with no load.

Don't use a cheese-dick mini switch. Get something bigger.
Its my XXX super 40 in the sig. Any idea what voltage rating and amp rating the switch should be? I found some with 20A and 125VAC, would they work?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Its my XXX super 40 in the sig. Any idea what voltage rating and amp rating the switch should be? I found some with 20A and 125VAC, would they work?
A switch that's capable of high current like that will do nicely.

But this is a tube amp.
You are gonna have to be VERY careful about the position of that switch.
If that switch gets flipped to connect the jack rather than the amp, and you turn your amp on and put a large signal through it, you could punch through the insulation of the windings of your output transformer. Iron not cheap. That will require a very costly replacement.

Proceed with caution.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
A switch that's capable of high current like that will do nicely.

But this is a tube amp.
You are gonna have to be VERY careful about the position of that switch.
If that switch gets flipped to connect the jack rather than the amp, and you turn your amp on and put a large signal through it, you could punch through the insulation of the windings of your output transformer. Iron not cheap. That will require a very costly replacement.

Proceed with caution.

I second EVERYTHING SYK has said in this post.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What I would do is find a jack with a built in switch (but also using the DPDT toggle switch) so you can wire it like this: If something is plugged into the jack, then the toggle will behave as normal. If there's nothing in there, then no matter what the toggle's position, it'll go to the speaker. That way you can prevent connecting a tube amp head to no load.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
What I would do is find a jack with a built in switch (but also using the DPDT toggle switch) so you can wire it like this: If something is plugged into the jack, then the toggle will behave as normal. If there's nothing in there, then no matter what the toggle's position, it'll go to the speaker. That way you can prevent connecting a tube amp head to no load.

Any idea where I could find these switches?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
LOl, alright well, looks I'm gonna have to proceed with caution. Thanks guy!
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
What about the jack? Will a switchcraft style work?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ