i bought a strat body from a ebay seller a year or so back. it was advertised as a mid 80s mij 58 reissue with texas specials. the first time i took it to my tech he noted that the pickups were not high output. couple of months back i replaced the bridge pickup with a sd lil 59. then i noticed that the V symbol at the back was missing. so any idea how i can check if the pickups are texas specials?
Is there a part number on it?
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
I bought a texas special from ebay a while back and it looked just like my stock pickups, nothing there to tell either, it sounded good though but I wasn't able to tell either.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
i bought a set of texas specials from fender, they have the custom shop V symbol on the back but nothing else visually different to stock pickups.

the resistance of each pickup is different to stock pups, you could measure this. i don't remember what the resistances are, you could find out somewhere like the fender website.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
is there a blue dot on the neck pup and a red dot on the bridge?

i think some do.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
but the V is a sticker right? not something imprinted on the pickup?

i will check for the part number and the red dot (is that on the back?) when i get home today.
yeah, sometimes on the back there's a dot.
so you can tell which spot it's for.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i think the v is just a custom shop sticker and not particular to texas specials. and if they came as stock on a 58 reissue they wouldn't have the sticker?
It's possible to get CS pickups without stickers or markings from production guitars. But...to further confuse the issue, supposedly MIJ "Texas Specials" were a bit of a marketing ploy and were not CS Pickups. I guess if the guy who sold it to you didn't actually say they were CS pickups, there's no foul really if they aren't (aside from Fender's usual form of advertising doublespeak). If you can't find any markings, a quick test with a multimeter will give you a pretty good idea if they are or not.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
i can't remember if the V is a sticker or not, and i don't really want to take my strat to bits right now.

according to the instruction leaflet which i still have, a blue dot denotes the neck pup and a red one is the bridge. i think these are stickers.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
The v is a sticker and, yes, only indicates custom shop..
Do they have waxy cloth covered wires or plastic ? I am not 100% sure that all texas specials are like that but the ones I bought, which are legit, have cloth covered wires and have the V sticker. As stated above though, if they are a stock p/u that came on the guitar they may not have the sticker.
Jenny mentioned colored dots but I can't remember if mine have them or not and to be honest I don't really feel like pulling them out to check.....Sorry
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09