Okay, so I just sold my squier jv for £700, so i'm on the market for my next investment already.

Basically my budget starts at £700, but i can go higher for the right guitar, up to about £1000 (as long as you promise that none of you will tell my girlfriend!)

Style of music is basically anything excluding jazz and shred and metal. I want a versatile guitar, no shredders or jazz guitars, and I'll be running the guitar through a laney VC15.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to go secondhand, as you always get more for your money.

So far i've considered: Fender Deluxe Strat, PRS standard or CE's, gibson les paul doublecut.

Guitars ruled out : shredders, as mentioned above, Les paul or other singlecuts (i just don't like them) and tele's (i already have a deluxe tele)

So guys, any suggestions?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
I was gonna suggest a '72 Deluxe Tele [with HH config], but you already have one, right?

I wouldn't really call this a singlecut, or doublecut, but it's always worth checking out guitars you may not normally consider [it also has P90S]: http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.php?partno=0100800806.

It's always best to just walk into a store and playing everything to see what interests you most.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Is this for trading or for playing?
Trading: Get the oldest SG you can find at the price. They are currently a bit under valued and will increase better than most.
Playing: Talk to Tim Ellis of www.tcellisguitars.co.uk about a custom job, maybe based on a Mantis or whatever you fancy.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Is this for trading or for playing?
Trading: Get the oldest SG you can find at the price. They are currently a bit under valued and will increase better than most.
Playing: Talk to Tim Ellis of www.tcellisguitars.co.uk about a custom job, maybe based on a Mantis or whatever you fancy.

the idea is to play it, but i want it to have resale value, just in case, and i'm not sure a custom guitar would hold its value as well as a well known brand
FOR SALE:

Offers/Trades anyone?
Used Eric Johnson signature stratocaster.

'57 Fender Reissue (Theres one made from '82 on this site for around $2k USD(Whatever that is in pounds.)

'62 Fender Reissue
hmmm i'd say go for a PRS custom, possibly a joe satriani ibanez...which doesnt have to be used for metal music!! maybe a single cut les paul with a decent set of pickups tho
Maybe you want to look at a semi-hollow?

If not, a used PRS 513 would be awesome.
Quote by Metalfreak777
hmmm i'd say go for a PRS custom, possibly a joe satriani ibanez...which doesnt have to be used for metal music!! maybe a single cut les paul with a decent set of pickups tho

I had actually had a look at the satriani models. I played an ergodyne when i was in dubai and it was pretty nice, and i hear the JS series are pretty similar, but i'm not keen on having a floyd?

I might consider buying a PRS from the states, as it would work out cheaper i reckon.
FOR SALE:

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by samuwel
I had actually had a look at the satriani models. I played an ergodyne when i was in dubai and it was pretty nice, and i hear the JS series are pretty similar, but i'm not keen on having a floyd?

I might consider buying a PRS from the states, as it would work out cheaper i reckon.

An ESP Vintage Plus or an Ibanez SA should be good.
If you want resale value, Gibson and Fender are the only choices. They are the only guitars which gain in value with time.
so what advantages do these ESP vintages that everyone seems to be reccommending have over a fender strat?

Also those TC Ellis guitars look nice, and very good value, but does anyone have any first hand experience with them?
FOR SALE:

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by samuwel
so what advantages do these ESP vintages that everyone seems to be reccommending have over a fender strat?

Also those TC Ellis guitars look nice, and very good value, but does anyone have any first hand experience with them?

Slightly more versatile, I think. Can be used for metal aside from the usual strat genres(though it isn't ideal for metal). Will feel different as compared to a Strat.
And everyone doesnt reccomend them. I made the two previous Vintage Plus posts.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 10, 2009,
MIA strat?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Sorry sam.....just mailed the link to your other half!!

Just joking, i think the american deluxe strat is a good idea or maybe get am american standard and mod it to be just as good
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
Sorry sam.....just mailed the link to your other half!!

Just joking, i think the american deluxe strat is a good idea or maybe get am american standard and mod it to be just as good

You been chatting to my lass again?!

It's not just the hardware that makes a difference between the standard and deluxes. They just feel nicer somehow. Can really tell the difference between my deluxe tele and MIA standards. Dunno what it is haha.

How about the 90's stratplus's with the lace sensors? anyone have any experience?

also, still looking for testimonies about TC ellis guitars?

Also opinions on PRS custom 22/24's maybe?
FOR SALE:

Offers/Trades anyone?
Last edited by samuwel at Sep 11, 2009,
I had a JV.I've also had MIM,MIJ and MIA Fender Strats. They ain't any better then the JV.If you want a double cut with tone,you could try a SG Classic. P90s rock.You could also try a Musicman,.A used one would be in budget,high quality guitars. All three of these are now gone. I wish I'd kept them.
Quote by marantz1300
I had a JV.I've also had MIM,MIJ and MIA Fender Strats. They ain't any better then the JV.If you want a double cut with tone,you could try a SG Classic. P90s rock.You could also try a Musicman,.A used one would be in budget,high quality guitars. All three of these are now gone. I wish I'd kept them.

I would have kept the JV if it had some nice big frets on it. The tone was amazing, but I just couldn't play it with those tiny vintage frets!

For some reason I've never been into SG's. I guess I don't like guitars that scream a certain style of music? (bastard ACDC)

I don't like the looks of the musicman either. I can't place why though for some reason.
FOR SALE:

Offers/Trades anyone?
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-fr2620-electric-guitar-natural--60839
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-fr2620-electric-guitar-dark-brown-sunburst--48753
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-fr1620-electric-guitar-black--48752
These are all the same, but they have different finishes. They have big frets and fast necks. I hear the pickups aren't that great so you should probably change them. They also have very easy access to all 24 frets.
MIA Strat, or better still, a VG...
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Used Eric Johnson Strat; by far the best strat I've ever played.
Gear
Bogner Alchemist
Fender Eric Johnson Signature Strat
Fender ESM-10 Mini-Jumbo
BC Rich NJ Bich