So I heard those little silica bags that come with instruments, amps and electronics are there to soak up moisture. Seems a nice low cost way to keep guitars and such dry in their case. But then I read that inhaling the smallest amount of silica can lead to cancer... Should I invest in a proper dehumidifier device or keep using these?
As long as you don't rip the bags, (hehe... rip the bags) in which the silica is, you're not going to inhale it... I think.
I run a humidifier to keep my piano from drying out. Dry electronics are good but aren't guitars supposed to be a nice medium- rare?
Quote by Sneezebum
As long as you don't rip the bags, (hehe... rip the bags) in which the silica is, you're not going to inhale it... I think.

Hm, I just read that the bags are slightly porous, meaning if you have some lying around, you might slowly be inhaling it over time.
Silica dust is dangerous, but those dehumidifier bags are made with silica gel. Unless you're eating the bags you're not in any danger.

The problem with using them over a long period of time is that they're not meant for extended use. They soak up moisture for a while but after a while they'll stop working. You won't have any indication that they've stopped, which becomes dangerous because they're most likely to stop working when it gets very humid.

Plus, too much humidity isn't frequently an issue; it's too little that you need to be worried about. I'm assuming an acoustic guitar, btw. You don't really need to worry about electrics.
Quote by Roc8995
Plus, too much humidity isn't frequently an issue; it's too little that you need to be worried about. I'm assuming an acoustic guitar, btw. You don't really need to worry about electrics.

I stored my strat in it's bag for about 5 months once, and upon taking it out, it seemed to have the beginnings of mold or something on the finish.
^Write it off as road wear and be done with it. My suggestion, just get a dehumidifier.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss