I'm the only one in the band that can afford to drop out for some parts in songs, and we've been doing a lot of stuff that needs the use of a keyboard (I used to be really good at piano). How would I go about making smooth transitions between the two?
by stop playing one instrument and start playing the next, watch some rush

haha
in seriousness you can always prepare yourself by playing the last bar or two legato style with no plucking of the bass to set urself up
Last edited by Martindecorum at Sep 8, 2009,
Just swing the bass round your back.
Make sure you have some strong strap locks though, or it could go horribly wrong.
Geddy Lee does it, check out some live Rush videos to see him.

And there is a band called Battles and the guys actually play guitar at the same time as playing keyboard. I caught them live a few years back and they are something special.
Any recommended videos of Rush? I never was a big fan so I wouldn't know what to search for.

Quote by Casketcreep
Just swing the bass round your back.
Make sure you have some strong strap locks though, or it could go horribly wrong.

I think I'll just wear my bass extra low. Not Rob Trujilo low, more like James Hetfield low (I like playing it tilted upwards anyways).
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 8, 2009,
Don't compromise your bass playing though, whatever you do. By that I mean don't sling it low just for easier access, figure out a way to have it where you want it and a way to tuck it away and give you easy access to the keys. Probably putting the neck down to your side or around your back is best.
digiorgio does that in sadus sometimes as well, but im sure theres plenty more rush vids compared to sadus ones lol.
Quote by higgins666
Maybe you could keep the bass in there, by using a looper to record the bass line for one or two bars, so that it is still there whilst you play the keyboard parts, then turn the looper off when your playing bass again.

either that or he could fork out and buy some midi bass pedals.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
This video shows Geddy switching from keyboards to bass. He just seems to do it really fast. My advice is practice.

Edit: OP, are you talking about the actual physical transition between instruments or the transition in the music?
Last edited by Valid12891 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by higgins666
Maybe you could keep the bass in there, by using a looper to record the bass line for one or two bars, so that it is still there whilst you play the keyboard parts, then turn the looper off when your playing bass again.

either that or he could fork out and buy some midi bass pedals.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Valid12891
This video shows Geddy switching from keyboards to bass. He just seems to do it really fast. My advice is practice.

Edit: OP, are you talking about the actual physical transition between instruments or the transition in the music?

Physical transition. As I said, I used to play piano, so I know the music.