any idea what pickup positions jimi used with foxy lady - the riff and the solo?
keeping in mind that JH had a strat with 3 single coils, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that it was bridge for riff and a combo of bridge and neck for solo. That said, his tone is so unique it's hard to be entirely sure.
i asked about jimi what you thought jimi used, guys. so on a strat ...
Quote by vtpcnk
how can you get a combo of bridge plus neck on a strat?

Meaning he used either one at different times. That's just what it sounds like to me, but I can't be sure.
Quote by vtpcnk
i asked about jimi what you thought jimi used, guys. so on a strat ...

Well he might of used the neck or the neck + middle or the middle or the middle + bridge or the bridge but you know considering how many times he has played that song he's probably changed it around but you can't deny how awesome the neck + middle is. Anyway why did you want to know?
Jimi used the neck pickup a lot in his playing, it gave a real thick sound. He also sometimes used Middle+Neck, so try those options.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Well he might of used the neck or the neck + middle or the middle or the middle + bridge or the bridge but you know considering how many times he has played that song he's probably changed it around but you can't deny how awesome the neck + middle is. Anyway why did you want to know?

So he asks which PU position and you list all the possible positions?
Quote by rchiav
So he asks which PU position and you list all the possible positions?

Well considering I wasn't alive during the Hendrix era I wouldn't have a clue and so it must be one of those 5 but considering Hendrix has played that song numerous he may of have changed the pickups each time he played it so who I wouldn't say that there would be a definitive pickup selection he used for foxy lady all the time.
Hendrix never used neck+middle or middle+bridge because all strats then only had 3 way switches
Gibson SG Standard

Custom Monterey Strat with Half scallop and CS 69's

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Quote by \m/, DylaN ,\m/
Hendrix never used neck+middle or middle+bridge because all strats then only had 3 way switches

Well, he could've but I doubt he did, especially if he was doing quick switching.

But it sound sounds like the neck pickup to me.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by \m/, DylaN ,\m/

You can play those positions with a 3 way switch. Google it if you must.

IIRC, I think Hendrix did use them.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
He put a match into the pickup selector at the neck position, so when he switched to the neck pickup, the selector got struck at the neck+middle position.
That's what I've read somewhere.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5

Actually, he and a few others were the first to figure out if you put the selector between the notches, you could mix the tones. He most obviously did use it too. You can hear that neck+middle tone so well in a ton of his work.

how can you get a combo of bridge plus neck on a strat?

It's possible to do it with some of the American Deluxes with S-1 switching and all that jazz, otherwise you have to rewire it to get it working.
Try a fuzz face.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
it honestly doesnt matter what position he used, if you have a Marshall Plexi from the 60's, and a couple of 60's strats, plug em in and just listen to them! if you dont then who cares, just play what sounds best/closest with your set up. there is honestly no need for this
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
i was only referring to the version on the album. yea i know that fuzz is used on the song - but i wanted to know which pickup positions on the strat were used as well.

anyway thanks for some of the useful replies.
Have you ever played the song?

Play it and then use the pickup that sounds the best, end of story. =)
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
>Have you ever played the song?

daily - part of my practice.

i normally use the neck plus middle combo for riff and rhythm and neck for lead. because my neck is louder than the neck/middle combo.

just wanted to know how the original was done.
Quote by Zoot Allures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqQOaA2LPRo&feature=related

Hes on the bridge pickup here, who knows how his tone dials set though.

Most of hendrixs tone comes from the fuzz pedals and amp anyway so just pick whatever pickup sounds best for u

well the texas special on the bridge was so "ice picky" i swapped it for a sd lil 59. so playing the bridge pickup is out of scope for me i guess. unless ofcourse i use the single coil on the 59 by way of coil split. let me check that out.
I'm pretty sure he did the bridge for the riffs, and neck for the solo's.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by kenan6346
keeping in mind that JH had a strat with 3 single coils, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that it was bridge for riff and a combo of bridge and neck for solo. That said, his tone is so unique it's hard to be entirely sure.

This, 'cept neck only for the solo at least live this how in every video I see. I can hear the possibility of the combo dubbed on the studio track as well.

Check out the solo at woodstock... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPUQTi0y3Do&feature=related
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah