Hello there i'm building a bass guitar. Don't belive me? Well here's the proof!

A nice bit of ash. Well 2 bits actually. I have to stick them together and get them planed. Remind me next time i build a bass or guitar to get the wood prethicknessed, planed and glued.

The neck which i really like because it has a nice figure and a dual action truss rod too.

the tuners.

Back of the tuners.

The hardware and that. The bridge is a hipshot transtone which along with the tuner bushings i ordered from guitarpartsresource.com the states. Pretty impressed with the delivery and since it was "only $25" ahem i didn't have to pay any import fees or anything. The neck mounting bolts+ferrules are from axesrus in hull. I'm still yet to order the electronics although i should imagine i will be buying an EMG MMTW and probably an EMG EQ curcit as well. I've phoned a place that has a wood thicknessing planer and whoever does it is going to ring me back at somepoint (dunno when though) and after that i'll be able to get started on shaping. I also need to buy some cramps from boyes.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by WtrPlyr
Nice, what shape are yougoing for?

This is what i'm thinking. Probably like a jazz style shape but maybe a bit wider and with pointier horns. I'm planning on reshaping the headstock a bit as well.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Thanks Alex. Well i dunno if i can re-shape the headstock because of the HUGE tuner baseplates. So i guess it will just have to be a sexy metalfied jazz bass body with a fender standard looking headstock XD

In other news i've had the body planed. Left a few marks but i'm not really bothered because it was free. So i guess i'll just have to paint it a solid colour or something. I'm just waiting on a few F clams before i can glue it together:

I also ordered the electronics. An EMG MMTW and a BQC equaliser. Forgot to order something rather important though, the strings XD ahh well guess i'll just stick some cheapo castle strings when i order the straplocks then. Maybe at a later point i'll get a 35DC for the "front" position, make it like surveyor stylee.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 16, 2009,
i actually have a neck that looks really similar to that one on my desk right now! Mine's a mighty mite. whats yours? what were you thinking for the finish?
Quote by savage94
i actually have a neck that looks really similar to that one on my desk right now! Mine's a mighty mite. whats yours? what were you thinking for the finish?

It's a Dr. Parts neck. Not the most expensive but really good value for money imo the best bass neck i've played on and the grain is beautiful so there ya go

I like the neck/head so far. What colour are you aiming for?

I sticked this one (:

The headstock face will probably be the same colour as whatever i paint the body, i was thinking of just flat clearcoating over a grey primer and thankyou i have too lol.
EH

Right then updeat time. It's been a bit of a while i know but i've been in orange county new york visiting sr. and the guys:

:p only joking we really should invest in a HD TV service.

Anyway I've now got all the electronics for this bass which are an EMG MMTW pickup and a 3 band EQ.

little mock up. I also got some MEC pots which are really nice but the wrong size for the BQC unit pots so i dunno i guess i'll either have to go with the awful "land rover" style EMG plastic knobs or borrow a dremel off someone to make the holes bigger. Forturnately it's still the right size for the push/pull volume pot of the MMTW.

I've also finally got my clamps but the GENIUS who i bought it off sent me 3 clamps instead of 3 packs of 2 clamps like i ordered but whatever here's the body glued up:

Thanks guys do feel free to give me a comment.
EH

Quote by guitarcam123
is he going to send you the other 3 clamps?

yeah he will do, it was a packaging error apparently. But still i mean he should have realised that i couldn't have ordered 3 clamps if there was 2 to a pack.

I almost forgot:

safety man!!
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 24, 2009,
Okay well i've got the body glued up. I also have now recieved the rest of my clamps off the bloke, very quick- almost feel guilty about giving him negative feedback now... Nah.

The design. Pretty much just similar to a jazz bass really but a bit different.

Now here's the weird bit. I got on with the front routing before cutting it out. Am i crazy? probably, but the reason i did it was so that it would be easier for me to stick the straightedge clamp on it and make it neater. Also the neck pocket won't quite be that long when i'm done so it doesn't really matter about the routing at that top end it'll all be cut away anyway.

The pickup.

Okay well that's it for now until i get it cut out which will probably be tomorrow. Is someone going to comment or am i going to have to comment it myself?

"Hey Edd, nice build man"

"thanks mate, appreciate it "
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 25, 2009,
lookin' good dude! I did the same thing on my guitar in terms of routing.
------

Shwiggity.
'sup guys i've cut out the body and i've done pretty much all the rough shaping and contouring. Now it's just a case of smoothing things out with some manual sanding until it's all nice and smooth I used an angle grinder(!) with some sandpaper to get the rough shape for the tummy and shoulder contours as it's very quick and then a router with a 1/2" rounding over bit to round the edges over. I've also done a sculpted neck heel.

The front, it's on the garden table because i thought i would enjoy the autumnal sunshine while it lasts (anyone noticed how we seem to get more sun in the winter than summer in this country?) plus the "shop" room looks like a smokehouse since i've been cutting stuff with the angle grinder XD

The back. Yes i know what you're thinking, what the fuck is up with that filler? Well sorry, but i needed to use it to shape the heel a bit smoother and since i'm painting it anyway i figured if it's good enough for custom car builders then it's good enough for me. Also i haven't cut out the electronics cavity yet. I need to get mysef psyched up to do it on the router. I'll probably do a shallow cut round the edges then smooth it out, stick a collar on the router and do the full cut so i can leave that edge bit for sticking the back plate on, which will be see through acrylic. Well thanks for reading, hope you like it.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 28, 2009,
I'd recommend doing the cavity in the reverse order; Cut the main cavity and then use a flush-bottom bit to take the top out a little, so you can clean anything up that might be a problem, and leave some room for screws!

EDIT: That bottom horn looks like it'll come damn close to your hand atthe upper fret area...
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
I'd recommend doing the cavity in the reverse order; Cut the main cavity and then use a flush-bottom bit to take the top out a little, so you can clean anything up that might be a problem, and leave some room for screws!

EDIT: That bottom horn looks like it'll come damn close to your hand atthe upper fret area...

I was thinking if i did the other way then i could get it even round the edges but i suppose you don't nesicerally want it to even do that. And yes i will make sure i can get the screws in when i'm done.

As for the bottom horn, i haven't tried using it yet but i think the perspective messes things up a bit. It's actually a good few inches from the neck pocket so it should in theory be fine. Speaking of which i've also cut it out so the upper horn is the same level as the 11th fret which should help out on balance. Thanks edd.
EH

you gotta remember, a few inches is okay if you're keeping your hand RIGHT on the fretboard, but people have different hand positions, don't wanna catch the back of your hand off that horn and bruise a tendon
------

Shwiggity.
^this. It could get potentially very annoying, definitely try it out before finishing to see if you wanna reshape it.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Well i've stuck the neck on and having a feel of it i think you could be right so i suppose i'll have to sand the thing down a bit. I'll stick the neck bolts on tonight because i've pretty much sorted the heel. Then tomorrow i'll take off the neck and get on with more smoothing out of stuff and possibly the electronics cavity routing too.
EH

Maybe like:

to
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

^ Haha nice photoshop thanks. Well i'm sure i'll be able to sort it out without too much of a problem.
EH

Right well here it is with the hardware and neck mounted. I'll be taking this all off so i can do more smoothing and hopefully the finishing and stuff.

Edit, sorry what the fuck here's the pics:

There
EH

nawt too shabby
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

This is looking pretty damn nice. Kudos on the quick progress too
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
for all the comments guys This is going to probably take a lot of sanding down so i shthanks ould imagine it will take a few days at least before it starts to look really nice and smooth. Aren't maple necks just the best? shame i had to use the filler because otherwise i could have done a natural finish which imo is a beautiful combination ash and maple.
EH

This is a picture of it pretty much finished, it's just painted with filler primer and you can still see the grain showing through, but i kinda like it. If i wanted to i could obviously fill everything in and stick a grey primer paint and clearcoat on it but whether i decide to actually do that remains to be seen really.
EH

hi again just to say if i ever think about building a bass body again can someone please tell me to just get one off warmoth instead thanks.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
hi again just to say if i ever think about building a bass body again can someone please tell me to just get one off warmoth instead thanks.

lol why?

nice build, I really like the neck. Maple head + black tuners = win, as far as I'm concerned. It looks /really/ body heavy though. Digging the finish, however!
Quote by Canadian_basser
lol why?

nice build, I really like the neck. Maple head + black tuners = win, as far as I'm concerned. It looks /really/ body heavy though. Digging the finish, however!

it's quite body heavy yeah but i lift weights so i'm not too bothered about it. The other good thing about it is that because the strap button is on the 12th fret it makes it really well balanced. The reason i'm thinking i should have just had one made is that when i think of how much i spent on tools, i might as well have just got them to make one. I really don't think i'm going to make another guitar or bass but i am going to return the angle grinder as it's stopped working so at least i'm clawing back a bit of funds.
EH