Hey guys! After 5 months of recording with a $15 computer mic and the line-in port, I'm finally ready to get some actual recording equipment. I need to be able to record vocals, an acoustic guitar, and an electric guitar (not all at the same time).

I'm on a budget of about $200 - $250 (canadian) for the interface (firewire/usb) but if something comes highly recommened I'm not afraid to dish out 10 or 20 bucks extra. Also, I would need 2 mic inputs for the occasional "singing with acoustic" recording. I was looking at the Presonus Firebox, but I've seen everything from praise to hate for that thing on the internet.

As far as microphones go, I'm pretty confused. I would mainly want to record vocals and an acoustic. I remeber looking up a couple of shure mics that weren't to expensive. The budget for this would again be around $200 -$250.

I'm recording with a pretty powerful PC (if that makes a difference). Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by belgion75 at Sep 8, 2009,
What about monitors?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
With that sort of budget I'd stick to headphones, monitors are *much* better but you'd have to spend your entire budget on a pair to make it worthwhile.

HOWEVER if you are using consumer headphones do get some new ones, at the expense of the interface if necessary.

For mics, a single, good vocal-orientated large-diaphragm condensor will work on both vocals and acoustic. (assuming you're recording one-at-a-time, which is prefered).
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Thanks for the tip, "Union Of V". If something like a good pair of headphones is that important, I'll save up a little more and buy them. The ones that I have now are a pair of $60 RCA headphones that I bought about 2/3 years back. Do you have any suggestions for a good pair of headphones or a nice mic?

Also, I spent the day reading a few more reviews on the Firebox, and it was the same bloody thing again. Some people praise it, some people hate it. If anybody here uses or has used one, let me know what you think of it.

And, of course, anything else people can tell me would be fantastic.
while i'm not a huge Line 6 fan myself, i have heard good things about the UX2s. the advantage there is that it comes with some software that should make recording some electric guitar much easier, unless you're a real tone junkie and HAVE to use your amp. it would also save you some money to put toward some headphones or cables and mic stands (those add up fast...).

I've seen a whole lot of people using those M Audio Fast Tracks. cant say much about quality there though.

you could also look into the Mbox 2 mini (what i have). a little over your budget, but comes with Pro Tools LE (very handy if you want to get into pro tools). i haven't had any problems with it. i've been quite happy actually.

for mics, look for large diaphragm condensers and research them like crazy.
I should have mentioned this earlier (I'll go back and edit my first post in a sec): I need 2 mic inputs for the occasional "singing with acoustic" recording.
For headphones, the ones here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm are good, if your budget can't stretch that far then try the Audio-Technica M40fs.

Mic-wise, if you need 2 mics you'll have to stretch your budget a bit. I can't recommend any in particular but the ~€100 range is pretty crowded, mics like the Studio Projects B1, SE2000, AKG Perception thingy, etc. are mentioned frequently. If you have a music store nearby I'd try a few out, otherwise do a bit of searching on the web to get an idea of their differences.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Thanks for the tips so far, I really appreciate it. I'll do some research on headphones/mics, and I'll buy one good mic first, and while I'm saving up for another one, I might be able to borrow a mic from my friend. The only thing thats left is the interface. Any tips on that?
This is from my experience...

My brother has a headset (90 bucks)
On the place im living in the weeks, I have a 40 bucks pair of cheap speakers.

The little pair of speakers pawn the headset.

So if you're short on budget, speakers>headset.