my band is gonna try to learn and record a version of usher's love in this club (i guess thats wat its called) and im wondering what we do about copyright issues. would it be legal to sell a cd of the rest of our songs and say this one is a free bonus song? or could we just give it out for free? where i live, we probably wouldnt get caught with anything but theres no poiht in risking it
Technically it's illegal to sell it for profit without paying royalty. If you're going to include it as a bonus track make sure it's also available for free on your website.
Check the copyright sticky above. As I understand it, any unauthorized use is an infringement, whether you make a profit or not. The question as to whether anyone will come after you? If it is a low quantity, and very local, probably not. I say probably, because strange things can happen, and my crystal ball is out for repairs.
Depends on country, I don't know much about American copyright laws. I know that in Canada it's legit to record cover and give them out as long as it's not for profit.
Quote by chokmool
Check the copyright sticky above. As I understand it, any unauthorized use is an infringement, whether you make a profit or not. The question as to whether anyone will come after you? If it is a low quantity, and very local, probably not. I say probably, because strange things can happen, and my crystal ball is out for repairs.

There's your answer. However, you can always send the 8(?) cents per copy to the copyright holder and you'd be safe whether you have their permission or not.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by pwrmax
I know that in Canada it's legit to record cover and give them out as long as it's not for profit.

NO IT ISN'T!!

Check the copyright for dummies sticky for more. It makes specific reference to the CMRRA (mechanical rights organization of Canada) and their regulations, and *very specific* statements to the contrary of your advice. My evidence is supported thoroughly to links to primary sources like the CMRRA.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.