I know its a bit long but please bear with

For the past few months ive been playing with the pick tilted up, ie the side of the pick thats closest to the neck is tilted up. This has worked fine so far, but I just watched a Paul Gilbert video on youtube where he explains how he holds the pick tilted down, by kind of rolling his thumb forward.

1:54 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M&feature=related

I know a lot of you will say just play how ever it feels more comfortable, but Im asking because theres two things im concerned with that you more experienced players might have some insight about.

first is that I play sitting down, since im still learning, and it occurs to me that if I start playing standing up, where the guitar will be lower, the lower the guitar is, the more id have to twist my wrist upward to maintain that upward tilt, whereas if the pick is tilted down it doesnt matter.

the other thing is that when I look at guitars with floyd roses, which I will be purchasing soon, I notice that on some of them the fine tuners stick out a lot, like on the floyd rose special that ESP uses, and it seems like the tuners would dig into my wrist/forearm if I played with the pick tilted up since id have to kind of curl my wrist up.

Anyways basically Im asking if these problems are actually anyhting to be concerned with, cuz If it is better to pick tilted down then Id like to start right away before I get too accustomed to the way im doing it now

thanks!
Last edited by subzero364 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by subzero364
I know its a bit long but please bear with

For the past few months ive been playing with the pick tilted up, ie the side of the pick thats closest to the neck is tilted up. This has worked fine so far, but I just watched a Paul Gilbert video on youtube where he explains how he holds the pick tilted down, by kind of rolling his thumb forward.

1:54 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M&feature=related

I know a lot of you will say just play how ever it feels more comfortable, but Im asking because theres two things im concerned with that you more experienced players might have some insight about.

first is that I play sitting down, since im still learning, and it occurs to me that if I start playing standing up, where the guitar will be lower, the lower the guitar is, the more id have to twist my wrist upward to maintain that upward tilt, whereas if the pick is tilted down it doesnt matter.

the other thing is that when I look at guitars with floyd roses, which I will be purchasing soon, I notice that on some of them the fine tuners stick out a lot, like on the floyd rose special that ESP uses, and it seems like the tuners would dig into my wrist/forearm if I played with the pick tilted up since id have to kind of curl my wrist up.

Anyways basically Im asking if these problems are actually anyhting to be concerned with, cuz If it is better to pick tilted down then Id like to start right away before I get too accustomed to the way im doing it now

thanks!

Actually I'd say try them both and do what SOUNDS better as that's what you're really concerned with.

Secondly... the floyd rose thing could be a problem, it could be nothing, I don't know, you'll just have to wait and see and adjust your technique if it is an issue.

Thirdly: Adjust the strap on your guitar so it's at the same height when you're standing OR practice standing up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think its kinda odd to hold ur pick upward... I myslef hold it like that when Im starting to learn to use pick... but right from the start I notice that It makes my playing incredibly awkward...

and I watch Paul's video and I use his advice to tilt it downward and everything seems easier for me... and Im playing sitting and standing... it works great.. I would say its best that u start tilting it down..

It may need some getting use to it but it'll be worth it.. u have more playability with it..
The first 9-10 years of my guitar life I played with the pick angled upward and I did pretty good with it like that, but once I got my RG with a Floyde I HAD to learn to pick the other way....the fine tunners DID get in my way...may be ok for you but you will have to try and see.

Also, it did take me about 6 months to get used to holding the pick the complete opposite way that I was used to but once I got used to it picking in general became ALOT easier for me. I can now play a lot faster and with more dynamics.

And the Gilbert videos are what made me switch...haha! I never thought anything about it until he said something about it in a DVD I have.

You hold pick like syn gates, who is one of the only others I have seen who holds pick a like that...maybe George Benson also.

It takes some getting used to if you switch, but it will be worth it in the end...at least it was for me.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
thanks a lot guys, my new guitar is coming in about a week, but ill probably start practicing down right away

peace!

EDIT: Ok im trying this out and im wondering how you guys do pinch harmonics with this style of picking. Before since my thumb would stick out upwards whenever i strum i could brush my thumb on the string right after for the harmonic, but now i dont see how to do it
Last edited by subzero364 at Sep 8, 2009,
Im really sorry to bumb this but I just wanted to say that Ive been picking Paul Gilbert style with the pick tilted down on the neck side, and even though it feels completely unusual and Ive never picked this way before, after 3 hours I can already play things I couldnt before!!!

Im so happy!! If any of you havent tried picking like this I suggest you try for a while!
I tilt mine up, feels alot smoother than pointing it down and it makes upstrokes easier
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
As Zaphod said, make your decision based on the sound you intend/desire to get out of your playing. But at the same time, try to also feel as natural as possible when playing. Obviously the more contorted and twisted your hands are, the less natural and less easy things are going to be. Experiment around a bit.
i usually hold my pick on an angle, not that steep of and angle tho. dont like the sound it has when the pick is parallel to the strings
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by subzero364
Im really sorry to bumb this but I just wanted to say that Ive been picking Paul Gilbert style with the pick tilted down on the neck side, and even though it feels completely unusual and Ive never picked this way before, after 3 hours I can already play things I couldnt before!!!

Im so happy!! If any of you havent tried picking like this I suggest you try for a while!

Glads its working out for you....I thought it might.

AS for pinch harmonics you just have to put a lot more thumb into it since your are holding the pick at a diff angle.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by subzero364
thanks a lot guys, my new guitar is coming in about a week, but ill probably start practicing down right away

peace!

EDIT: Ok im trying this out and im wondering how you guys do pinch harmonics with this style of picking. Before since my thumb would stick out upwards whenever i strum i could brush my thumb on the string right after for the harmonic, but now i dont see how to do it

I do pinch harmonics by twisting my wrist and just using the tip of my thumb, its hard to explain in words
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.