Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know of any good online resources to master the art of Gallop Alt Picking??
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Try listening to a lot of bands that do so, and use a program like powertab or GP that plays along.
Galloping is pretty much just playing a series of notes, that give you that sort of gallop sound. Mostly done by playing triplets. Just learn to alternate pick well. One easy way to do it, is use an open string muted, and pick - down, up, down - down, up ,down - down, up, down. And there you go.
Thanks guys! Will do tonight!!
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Learn Battery, by Metallica, if you like the song. That's how I started, and I got galloping down in one or two nights.
Above post may or may not be true.
Yes, I love that song and the four horsemen. Will do..thanks!
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by kurney
Learn Battery, by Metallica, if you like the song. That's how I started, and I got galloping down in one or two nights.

Same song that made gallops "click" for me.

TS - once you get the gallop down don't forget to learn the reverse gallop.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Up, Down, Up??

Or

Down, Down, Up Down?
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
1, 1-2-3 - normal gallop

1-2-3, 1 - reverse gallop

the numbers are the rythm not frets
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ahh yes. Got it...Thanks!
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by Matt420740
Galloping is pretty much just playing a series of notes, that give you that sort of gallop sound. Mostly done by playing triplets. Just learn to alternate pick well. One easy way to do it, is use an open string muted, and pick - down, up, down - down, up ,down - down, up, down. And there you go.

Not triplets. Triplets are three evenly spaced notes. A gallop is an 8th note followed by two 16th notes. A reverse gallop is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. They are in no way triplets. Triplet is a specific term with a specific meaning.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Not triplets. Triplets are three evenly spaced notes. A gallop is an 8th note followed by two 16th notes. A reverse gallop is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. They are in no way triplets. Triplet is a specific term with a specific meaning.

A gallop IS three evenly spaced notes. With a pause in between each set of three notes. In other words, Triplets. There are other ways as well, but that is the most common. Down, up, down
Last edited by Matt420740 at Sep 8, 2009,
Picking pattern for basic gallopping:

D-U-D-(U)-D-U-D-(U) etc., (U) being a ghost stroke.

Now, to me it looks way more "sense-making" (lol) that those are two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. The triplets form is possible too, but it isn't the most common form.
The form I described is the most common form.

:edit:
the guy talking about triplets being even spaced notes meant that if you take 4 triplets in one measure, you basically going to end up with one continuous blast of 12 notes each measure, instead of the gallop effect.
Last edited by KoenDercksen at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by Matt420740
A gallop IS three evenly spaced notes. With a pause in between each set of three notes. In other words, Triplets.

Wrong. They are not evenly space, hence the pause.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quoted from Sue's signature, 'the correct way to play the gallop'

Quote by bangoodcharlote
It is not. A gallop is an 8th note followed by 2 16th notes. The reverse gallop is two 16th notes followed by an 8th note. A triplet is three notes, usually 8th notes, played evenly in the time it would take to play two of those without the triplet; an 8th note triplet would be three notes in one beat while two 8th notes would be 2 notes in one beat. See how it works?

Picking wise, downpick whenever possible in metal. However, there are physical limitations; some some upstrokes are necessary at high speeds.

The gallop should be played D D U D D U.
The reverse gallop should be played D U D D U D.
The triplet shouls be played D U D U D U.
The bold notes are the downbeat.

Many people say you should play the triplet D U D D U D. That is stupid. If you can hit the two downstrokes in a row, man up and downpick the whole thing. This is coming from a lady you bunch of pansies!
Quote by Matt420740
A gallop IS three evenly spaced notes. With a pause in between each set of three notes. In other words, Triplets. There are other ways as well, but that is the most common. Down, up, down

Your first two sentences are in direct contradiction with each other.

This is triplets:

This is a gallop:

This really is not debatable, so do not try to tell me that I am wrong. If you need to ask a question, that's cool, but just realize that I am correct on this.

Edit - Looking back, this post seems extremely confrontational. It's just that I wind up debating people on this matter way more than I'd like to.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 8, 2009,
^You're absolutely right. But it could be as so:

1, 2-trip-let, 3, 4-trip-let.

That's a triplet and yet it still counts as a gallop, right?
Quote by pantera456
^You're absolutely right. But it could be as so:

1, 2-trip-let, 3, 4-trip-let.

That's a triplet and yet it still counts as a gallop, right?

You mean like this?

What I posted above (one 8th followed by two 16th notes) is what is understood to be a gallop. What you described has a rhythmic effect similar to a gallop, but is not technically a gallop.
Quote by dudetheman

Yeah,4 Horsemen helps a lot

Maybe this video helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPcWLI_DjqE
"Regret Nothing.Fear Less"
"A strong man doesn't need to Read his future - He makes his own"
"Send my regards to Soul and Romance,they always did the best they could"
"If I'm alive and well,will you be there holding my hand?"
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You mean like this?

What I posted above (one 8th followed by two 16th notes) is what is understood to be a gallop. What you described has a rhythmic effect similar to a gallop, but is not technically a gallop.

Well, I call it a gallop .
^Listen to DaddyTwoFoot. He is right about this.
Triplets are when there are three evenly spaced notes that fill up the space of the beat. There are no gaps.
A gallop is when there is one 16th note, a gap of one 16th note, then two more 16th notes. The next note after that is the beginning of the next beat. X = note on the beat, x = note not on the beat, _ = space.
X_xxX_xxX_xxX etc.
Quote by se012101
^Listen to DaddyTwoFoot. He is right about this.
Triplets are when there are three evenly spaced notes that fill up the space of the beat. There are no gaps.
A gallop is when there is one 16th note, a gap of one 16th note, then two more 16th notes. The next note after that is the beginning of the next beat. X = note on the beat, x = note not on the beat, _ = space.
X_xxX_xxX_xxX etc.

I'm not arguing. I know perfectly well what triplets and gallops are. I'm just being a pain in the ass.
I come to this forum after months of being away and nothing new is being discussed. This gallop/triplet discussion has been had so many times! But DaddyTwoFoot, I can relate to sounding confrontational in a sense with a topic like this; it quite bothers me when people give incorrect advice. People who come to this forum to learn should be given truths and not misunderstandings, so it's good that you make it a point to correct.
Battery and The Four Horsemen.
And if you're feeling adventurous, try That Was Just Your Life.
hey, uh, i dunno if anyone else has suggested it yet but I'm think Battery and The Four horsemen.
I Like Playing Guitar. And Bass. And Drums.
Monarch High School Quadline Too.
Quote by Matt420740

No, the man is right. There's a difference between galloping and doing triplets. There's a tiny pause between each gallop, whereas triplets are an ongoing stream of notes with no pauses inbetween.

When it comes to doing triplets in alternate picking, Cold from At The Gates is a very good training. At The Gates songs from the album Slaughter Of The Soul are all great alternate picking excercises to begin with.
so really, are triplets just tremolo picking? (when it's being alt picked I mean)
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15
well i guess there's a triplet gallop and a sixteenth gallop. Triplet would be like,
1-(trip)-let-2-(trip)-let, like dun-dahdun-dahdun. Sixteenth gallop is dun-duhduhdun-duhduhdun, like 1-(e)-and-uh-2-(e)-and-uh. Triplets are three evenly spaced notes in a beat, sixteenth notes are four in a beat. You just take one of the sixteenth notes out and it gives you three note groupings of sixteenth notes, not triplets.
I Like Playing Guitar. And Bass. And Drums.
Monarch High School Quadline Too.
Quote by McHitman
well i guess there's a triplet gallop and a sixteenth gallop. Triplet would be like,
1-(trip)-let-2-(trip)-let, like dun-dahdun-dahdun. Sixteenth gallop is dun-duhduhdun-duhduhdun, like 1-(e)-and-uh-2-(e)-and-uh. Triplets are three evenly spaced notes in a beat, sixteenth notes are four in a beat. You just take one of the sixteenth notes out and it gives you three note groupings of sixteenth notes, not triplets.

That's just a swing feel with a kind of staccato feel.
Quote by dudetheman

Raining Blood or Barrucuda
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
so really, are triplets just tremolo picking? (when it's being alt picked I mean)

Is thrash metal triplets tremolo picked? I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere but this is my third search on dial-up and I'm tired as hell. That is how I always played them. I meant to ask teach today. I wouldn't believe that Hetfield or Mustaine could have alternate picked those early thrash rhythms. There is a big difference between alternate picking those triplets and tremolo picking them. This is why most thrash rhythm players can play rhythm fast but not solos.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
When I gallop I use pure alternate picking

down-up-down-up-down-up etc.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by WesM.Vaughan
There is a big difference between alternate picking those triplets and tremolo picking them.

Alternate picking is a technique, tremolo picking is a sonic effect generally achieved by fast alternate picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The Trooper as mentioned, is a good place to start
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Page 1 of 2