I am looking to buy a portable unit, which I can use to store riffs and solos ideas as they come to mind - something like a simple 2-4 track recorder.

I also want to use it for practicing with headphones, so it is important that it has some settings for clean, crunch, lead tones as well as some basic effects - delay, chorus, auto wha, etc. . Ideally, it would also have a tuner, although this is not essential.

Lastly, a basic rhythm function would be also more than useful.

Any idea which device can perform these tasks?

Thanks
Last edited by Sirakov at Sep 8, 2009,
Theres plenty of portable digital recorders, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that have built in FX, certainly not a drum machine.
You could combine a Pandora PX4D (headphone amp multifx, drums, and bass rhythms) with any number of handheld recorders. The Pandora has a phrase trainer but I don't think it will give you much record time. And it may record only from the aux input (not sure).

The next alternative is a GNX4 Workstation with 8 track recorder, looper, drum machine, and mp3 BT player. But it won't fit in your pocket or guitar case.
You say 'simple' and then you want a full set of amps and effects, multitrack recording, and a drum machine

Sounds like you need a software program, honestly. You could use a POD into something like garageband or protools, but you're going to have a hard time finding all of those things in a standalone guitar processor. There are a few amps like the fender G-DEC and the spider jam that will do those things, but the tone from them is pretty bad.
Quote by Roc8995
You say 'simple' and then you want a full set of amps and effects, multitrack recording, and a drum machine

OK, may be I exagerated with the features...

I don't really care for the full set of amps or effects. Jus 5- 6 effects would do in fact.
As far as the multitracker, I only need a maximum of 3-4 tracks.
Drum machine is a must, but I don't need a complicated one with 100 rhythm types. One blues, one funk and one rock type would suffice as long as I can change the tempo..

That's it - not to much to ask for, right?

Essentially I need something that can record rough ideas, which I can easily upload onto a PC, but I don't want to use the PC to record if that makes sense.
I think at least some Boss recorder had some guitar sims and effects in it, but don't know of any such things that have drums in them.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.