Page 1 of 5
I usually learn songs by looking at tabs. Even though I know what the notes are on a sheet music, but I can't read it as efficiently. My roommate says that I'm not a real musician if I can't read sheet music. It pisses me off, but I don't know how to respond.
Yo! Yo! Yo!
Learn sheet music?
Stop caring?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Because you can't read sheet music or because you rely on tabs? Either way you are still a musician, and outta curiousity do you work stuff out by ear also?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
A "musician" not knowing how to read sheet music is like an artist not knowing what colors are on his palette.
Learn it.
Shove your guitar up his arse and play eruption. Seriously, I hate people like that. It's not 100% necessary to be able to read sheet music to be a good musician.
Over time you'll learn it, just stay in music and eventually you'll know almost everything. Also play more than one instrument.
I can't read sheet music either but I'm still a musician. Tell your room mate to shut his whore mouth.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by raincoffin
A "musician" not knowing how to read sheet music is like an artist not knowing what colors are on his palette.
Learn it.

That's an awful analogy.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by huevomax
Shove your guitar up his arse and play eruption. Seriously, I hate people like that. It's not 100% necessary to be able to read sheet music to be a good musician.

Eruption? Seriously?
Yeah, you go off and fellate all the half-assed 80s guitarists who call themselves musicians because they can move their fingers quickly.

Quote by Venice King
That's an awful analogy.

Cry.
I wouldn't call myself a computer programmer If I couldn't read code, would you?

Then again I'm awful at reading music, I think Iv'e probably forgotton all I did know too.

Edit: Actually this doesn't really matter to me I just wanted to make an analogy, as long as you compose music that makes you a musician I guess?
Last edited by kaptink at Sep 8, 2009,
Ray Charles couldn't read sheet music.

Was he a musician?

/thread
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
tell him he's wrong. if he argues, hand him a dictionary, tell him to look up the word "musician".

Quote by raincoffin
Eruption? Seriously?
Yeah, you go off and fellate all the half-assed 80s guitarists who call themselves musicians because they can move their fingers quickly.

lol. you need a dictionary also.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Sep 8, 2009,
paco de lucia never even learned about sheet music before he decided to do concierto de aranjuez. was he not a real musician before that? and a good comeback for anything is a joke about the size of his endoowment.
NOUN:

One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.

/thread

EDIT: Ok, so I can play 3 instruments but since I can only read music on one fluently and barely read on another, I'm half a multi-instrumentalist?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by Geebz

Was he a musician?

/thread

Oh snap...
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Huw-Thomas
**** off

No, you can cry about the fact that I just insulted 90% of the so-called "musicians" in the world somewhere else.
Quote by Venice King
Because you can't read sheet music or because you rely on tabs? Either way you are still a musician, and outta curiousity do you work stuff out by ear also?

The answer to that question is yes. In fact, I've been doing it more often than looking at tabs recently since there are no tabs for most of the songs I like.
Yo! Yo! Yo!
Quote by Geebz

Was he a musician?

/thread

+1
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Quote by flashmega
The answer to that question is yes. In fact, I've been doing it more often than looking at tabs recently since there are no tabs for most of the songs I like.

Then you are taking the most logical course and it is certainly a better one than most of the morons here seem to be suggesting.
Keep at it.
I'm kind of divided on this myself. I'm sure there have been many famous musicians who can't read sheet music. I can read sheet music, both bass and treble clef...but I've never tried to play guitar off sheet music (bass yes). However, I'm a better guitar player than our rhythm guitarist who has taken lessons for years and can read guitar sheet music. I just think it depends on the situation. I will say that being able to pick up something by ear is a very important skill no matter if you can read music or not. I've gotten into a couple of different bands by watching/listening them play through something once and then hop right in at the audition. /My $0.02
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by Geebz

Was he a musician?

/thread

This statement ended this thread perfectly.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by raincoffin
Eruption? Seriously?

Actually, I used eruption as a synonym for ejaculation. Personally, I don't like the song, I just thought it would go well with the concept of the guitar up his rectum. I cum blood would've worked better.
Quote by Geebz

Was he a musician?

/thread

/thread
*parp*
Quote by Zoot Allures
Johnny Cash wasn't a real musician?

Robert Johnson?

Django Reinhardt?

Jimi Hendrix?

This guy knows what he's talking about. Heck, IMO sheet music is definitely not a great notation medium for guitar IMO, and I can read both.

Plus, tabs are free...
Quote by Zoot Allures
Johnny Cash wasn't a real musician?

Man, I would hardly call him a real musician anyway.
Quote by raincoffin
No, you can cry about the fact that I just insulted 90% of the so-called "musicians" in the world somewhere else.

why do you keep telling people to cry? its slightly weird?
Quote by huevomax
Actually, I used eruption as a synonym for ejaculation. Personally, I don't like the song, I just thought it would go well with the concept of the guitar up his rectum. I cum blood would've worked better.

I've would have played Nocturne in G Minor with a little toccata at the end for show.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by raincoffin
Then you are taking the most logical course and it is certainly a better one than most of the morons here seem to be suggesting.
Keep at it.

You're saying these people who read tabs are morons?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Huw-Thomas
why do you keep telling people to cry? its slightly weird?

Quote by Huw-Thomas
Birthday : November 16, 1993

I would have thought it would come naturally to you.

Quote by Venice King
You're saying these people who read tabs are morons?

No, I'm saying that he should learn sheet music and not rely completely on tabs.
You play an instrument that makes music, and as long as your playing songs, and not just strumming the damn thing then your a musician. Guitar isn't great for sheet music, it says to play an E, but theres a ton of them on the guitar. A guitar tab is our sheet music.

Also, you said you learn by ear a little bit, meaning you don't need to look at tabs or sheet music.

If someone ever said I'm not a real musician cause I can't read sheet music my response would most likely be "Yea I can, a guitar tab is my sheet music, cause it shows me exactly what note to play, and where to play it. Isn't that what your sheet music does?"

Edit: Or just do this "Was Ray Charles a musician?" hopefully he says yes, then say "He couldn't read sheet music."

That was a good response whoever originally said it.
Last edited by eltyr18 at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by raincoffin
Learn it.

In that analogy, the colours in the palette = notes.

As long as you know what the notes are and know music theory, you are a fully fledged musician.
Just because you can't read sheet music doesn't make you any less. I mean, if you can read some tabs and/or play by ear, there's nothing wrong with that.

EDIT:
Quote by eltyr18
You play an instrument that makes music, and as long as your playing songs, and not just strumming the damn thing then your a musician. Guitar isn't great for sheet music, it says to play an E, but theres a ton of them on the guitar. A guitar tab is our sheet music.

Also, you said you learn by ear a little bit, meaning you don't need to look at tabs or sheet music.

If someone ever said I'm not a real musician cause I can't read sheet music my response would most likely be "Yea I can, a guitar tab is my sheet music, cause it shows me exactly what note to play, and where to play it. Isn't that what your sheet music does?"

+1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_notation
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Sep 8, 2009,
For guitar, tab is much more efficient. For piano and keyboard, sheet music is much more efficient. The only way knowing how to read sheet music benefits me on guitar it that I immeaditealy know the rhythm on a guitar pro tab, and I don't have to listen to anything.

In other words: Tell your roommate to **** off
Page 1 of 5