My band are just finishing up with mixing our 2nd E.P. and we're thinking of getting it mastered. Now i've been reading a lot about the subject because I really don't know that much about it. My main question is how much of a difference does mastering really make to a project? Is it worth the extra money we're going to spend on it?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I guessing that if you are happy with the recordings then don't bother. But if you feel that they could be improved you should go for it
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
I guessing that if you are happy with the recordings then don't bother. But if you feel that they could be improved you should go for it

But i've often heard people saying that you should be very happy with the quality of your recording before you get it mastered
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I think you should try. At the very least get someone to do one track, or part of a track, for you so that you can hear what difference it makes. I'm sure there are people on this board that could master a song just to give an idea of how it might sound. Overall, you need to feel good about your mix before you start worrying about mastering though.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Mastering is about overall soundlevel, compression and dynamics, Equalizing and noise reduction. Mastering is done on the mixed and compleate overall-track.

Personly i think that it's easy to hear when a song isn't mastered probaly, i sound kind of raw and sometimes disproportional.
But the band im in, we had some recordings mastered, and they where like - over mastered - the songs sounded flat and had lost their dynamics.

- It's a all subjective choice.
I've actually taken ebon00s advice and gone and found someone who will master half a song for us to show the difference so hopefully that should setle the matter for me. Thanks
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90