I contacted this musical instructor about lessons and while i decided i couldn't afford the lessons we talked for a good hour about theory and what not. He told me the CAGED system is how he bases his lessons and really is everything to guitar. He also said he wished he had found out about it 20 years before he actually did because it really helped him. Anyway what are your feelings on this approach. It makes sense to me that there are 5 main barrechord shapes and a pentatonic scale that lays right underneath it. and its cool that just switching shapes and staying in the same spot is really all you need to do to be effective...just kinda seems bland maybe???
Oh its great.

I just bought Fretboards logic this weekend and now I can basically find chords anywhere fairly easy.

It is a great system to learn if you are starting out or don't know much about the guitar and how things work for it based off the way the instrument is tunned. Worth looking into.

You can never learn too many ways to construct chords or scales.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
not really, i use E and A for barre chords but that's about it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
To think I learned the guitar without knowing about caged... so yeah, long and hard baby...
Caged is useful when you don' think about it and just do... then all becomes clear and you move forward to better things
Probably inadvertently.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
No. I don't see the point in it. Sure if you think it's a great tool, by all means use it. It just seems as a detour from learning the notes on the fretboard, the notes in all keys and how to construct chords.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
i think caged is good initially for learning, but if thats the apex of ones playing ability i wouldn't consider it too impressive. its good for starting out and learning, but thinking only in those terms can severely limit what you do.
I learned caged a while back and have incorporated it into my playing. It's not something I consciously think about anymore, but my fretboard knowledge has increased significantly. I'd recommend learning it. The information goes deeper than just learning 5 chords.
Quote by 7even
No. I don't see the point in it. Sure if you think it's a great tool, by all means use it. It just seems as a detour from learning the notes on the fretboard, the notes in all keys and how to construct chords.

The systems still requires you to learn the fretoard, it just makes finding things easier just by knowing shapes that can be moved around and then altered to get your minor forms, or b7, or add9 forms.

Then it goes into using the caged system to finded your pentatonic scales and how to name them. It then expands on that so you can get your major & minor scales and all the variations.

Very good book as it is only for guitar, where most if not all theory books are not just for guitar but music theory for every instrument.

I like it because it is meant as a tool to learn guitar only. This system will not work for any other instument.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I have to say, I don't use the "caged" system. I am able to visualize those shapes in the scales though, I just learned it a different way. Also I don't really care for the concept. I mean a C shape is only a C, when it's root is C. Id rather just recognize the shape for what it is (a Major triad).

Having a system that spells an actual word (caged), does make it marketable though. The fact that so many people are familiar with it now, shows the success of that marketability.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 9, 2009,
i wasnt aware that it was something that you "use", I thought it was more of a concept that is understood. I ddn't think it was a "method", I just thought it was there. . .. . .if that makes sense.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.