Sp im a huge fan of bands/producers like the prodigy, pendulum, Deadmau5 etc. That sort of sound if you get me. And i was wondering if there was any way to get to the sound described in title, you know as everything starts to get down.

So i was thinking a really wet envelope filter, and then a kind of synth, but i still think theres something else, and more needed to get that kind of sound.

Any of yous have ideas on pulling a sound like that out of a bass rig, or have any of you so far.

Gear
Fender jazz 24
Ashdown Mag 600R
Ev 606
Ashdown Drive plus
EHX bassballs

Thanks
Sam H
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Awesome bands!
I would just boost the bass and add some distortion but that dosen't get the exact sound.....
the fuzz?

your drive is not a fuzz and wont get the clipped waves as well.

I'd suggest an El Grande, not too pricey, doesn't cut anything out of your mix, sounds great on it's own.

cut hi mid a few decibels, cut treble a little more, keep the low mids about flat, boost the bass a tad, run that deep switch.

what size speaker do you have?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
There are pedals like the Boss SYB-3 and SYB-5, I don't know enough about them or the bands you listed to actively pursue recommending them completely, but maybe they are worth a look.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Yes Fionn they are awesome bands,

Humanity the 606 is a cab with a 15" speaker. IVe been looking at the El grande on and off, but there;s some mods that can be done to the bassballs to improve the distortion on it and turn it into a fuzzy distortion. But an excuse for more pedals is the best excuse there is.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
a 15 should do ya. you want it to rumble and shake right?

if you want another excuse, I'd suggest getting an EQ pedal or rack mount. that'd help a lot.

I've been gassin for that 2/3 one on the Carvin website...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Another idea a digitech whammy that i flick through different octaves up and up, while running two synth pedals one high, one low, with a fuzz cut at around 200hz. Duuurrrr
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Yes Fionn they are awesome bands,

Humanity the 606 is a cab with a 15" speaker. IVe been looking at the El grande on and off, but there;s some mods that can be done to the bassballs to improve the distortion on it and turn it into a fuzzy distortion. But an excuse for more pedals is the best excuse there is.

Fatgoogle knows my name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: sorry typed that in the spur of the moment but yeah, awesome bands, I played a Blood Sugar cover last year with a couple of friends and it was awesome.
Last edited by FionnRuadh at Sep 8, 2009,
So you're thinking about a fuzz and a wammy, ever thought about the EHX Bass Micro Synth? Square wave fuzz, loads of different sounds at your disposal and an octave down and up feature that you can run both at the same time if needs be.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Oh so tempting but at 200 euro that would havew to what a while.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I know that feeling. I've been Gasing for one for nigh on 3 years now, I suppose I should start saving up for one soon. But I think it's a good idea, keep it in mind, 'cause maybe one day you'll come into a bit of money by pure chance and be looking for that sorta sound.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I got a laptop for free, because it has a faulty link between to the screen so it flashes on and off. If i can get it working thats on option. Now do i run it though.

Bass-laptop-amp or maybe bass-amp latop in fx loop.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^I'm not 100% sure on that, 'cos there's a few ways of doing it. I'd say bass> USB ADC> laptop>mini mixer (so you could mix clean/fx pedal signals in)>amp.
Ableton Live is (so I understand) about the best bet for software. Hardware-wise, I'd reckon something around 1.6GHz minimum processor, with probly 2GB RAM and USB 2.0, should run it ok without hangs.
But don't quote me...that's only based on experience of running Audacity on my shaky old PC!
Quote by FionnRuadh
Awesome bands!
I would just boost the bass and add some distortion but that dosen't get the exact sound.....

true im not sure if Pendulum use effects i know a lot of it is actual synth not sure about the bass maybe a hint of distortion and use of Synth's noticeable in one of the parts in Showdown bout 3-4min in.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
i would use a synth pedal with a saw wave setting, with some fuzz and an octave pedal. Maybe a autowah as well to make it a bit wobbly
In the future, try getting some way of having two signal chains, it will do wonders to your quest. Also, if you want to achieve the "croak", try messing around with an envelop filter somewhere in your chain.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Well my Bassballs arrived, not there by a long shot but with the distortion setting on(not really dist) it has a really nice croak so it does something.

I think if i get some kind of fuzz that does not pruduce high end at all i might be able to get something.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thinking about my earlier suggestion, that could work out very expensive. How about a Bass Pod? There's some about second hand, i.e., cheaper. The synth programs are pretty good (from memory), and as the parameters are adjustable, maybe you could find some unique sounds in there.
Quote by fatgoogle
Well my Bassballs arrived, not there by a long shot but with the distortion setting on(not really dist) it has a really nice croak so it does something.

I think if i get some kind of fuzz that does not pruduce high end at all i might be able to get something.

If you turn the "tone" knob all the way down on the Big Bass Muff then your high end will absolutely disappear. Idk if that's what you want though.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Thanks very Much jesus, i shall look into it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul