I like Jonny Greenwood's massive distortion tone on the chorus of that song. I looked up his rig, and it seems he's running a Marshall Shredmaster (discontinued) pedal into two ProCo Turbo RATs, going into a Fender 85 amp (on clean channel) as his distortion.

Does anyone know if it's the two RATs or the Shredmaster that's the source of his distortion? Why would he run two Turbo RATs anyway?
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Sep 8, 2009,
It's not really that amazing to me (great song, just nothing special instrumentally other than being really ****ing catchy). Basically any tube combo with fender-y cleans, combined with a good mid to high gain distortion pedal and a tele would do it.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
It's not really that amazing to me (great song, just nothing special instrumentally other than being really ****ing catchy). Basically any tube combo with fender-y cleans, combined with a good mid to high gain distortion pedal and a tele would do it.

Well, I happen to have a regular Proco RAT, but it seems really low gain on most settings. When I crank the RAT up, it turns into a Big Muff. I also have a Boss DS-2, but it sounds pretty piss-poor.
^Check into the Hardwire SC-2, or if you have some more money, something from Damage Control or Radial. Also, check out the Pro Guitar Shop Demos on youtube. Most of what they do is on a fender sounding amp. You'll find something you like.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
A lot of that massive distortion is Ed O'Brien, the oft neglected member of Radiohead. Jonny plays a lot of octaves in the chorus, but the really huge backing is Ed. Jonny's basic distorted tone has almost never changed, look it up on guitargeek.com. Thom's using a ProCo Turbo Rat and Ed is using the distortion on his Mesa Tremoverb combo.
the Boss BD2 is pretty good at getting those '90s Alt-Rock tones. but it is VERY trebly. i have the tone rolled back to 10 o'clock at the least.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
BYOC makes a Marshall Shredmaster clone, i'm looking into one myself.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by The_Bosstone
I have a Turbo Rat for sale for $70.

/shameless advertising

watch out i got baned once cuz i did that
Think I'll save up for a Fender Deluxe and maybe pick up a Turbo RAT sometime. I looked up the Shredmaster pedal on YouTube and it didn't sound particularly special. I heard he only used the Turbo RATs in the studio anyway, not sure if that's true.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Sep 8, 2009,