a) A Les Paul plugged into a Marshall type amp.
b) A Strat plugged into a Fender type amp.

This is my conclusion and please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 79 Les Paul and Marshall tube amp and I think I'm limiting myself to half of the guitar tone spectrum. No matter what I do I just can't seem to get complementary tones. I've tried direct inject, using a BOSS EQ, Mic with a 57, plug in via a BOSS GT-10, Pod and even Guitar Rig and I still can't seem to nail the tones I'm after.

I've decided to invest in a standard USA built strat and a Vox amp, do you think I'm waisting my time?

To put in into perspective I'm happy with the guitar tone in the solo section in Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMXvaRC0pE which was recorded direct with a bit of DPR outboard compression to sustain the huge bends, but the rhythm sections don't work out and as a result of over tweaking they now sound over processed.

Am I one the right track going for a strat and different type of amp?

Appreciate hearing from some of you who have experience recording with both types of guitars.

Patrick.
Last edited by Electric Eddy at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by Electric Eddy
a) A Les Paul plugged into a Marshall type amp.
b) A Strat plugged into a Fender type amp.

This is my conclusion and please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 79 Les Paul and Marshall tube amp and I think I'm limiting myself to half of the guitar tone spectrum. No matter what I do I just can't seem to get complementary tones. I've tried direct inject, using a BOSS EQ, Mic with a 57, plug in via a BOSS GT-10, Pod and even Guitar Rig and I still can't seem to nail the tones I'm after.

I've decided to invest in a standard USA built strat and a Vox amp, do you think I'm waisting my time?

To put in into perspective I'm happy with the guitar tone in the solo section of the following link which was recorded direct with a bit of DPR outboard compression to sustain the huge bends, but the rhythm sections don't work out and as a result of over tweaking they now sound over processed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMXvaRC0pE

Am I one the right track going for a strat and different type of amp?

Appreciate hearing from some of you who have experience recording with both types of guitars.

Patrick.

Look into more different kinds of amps, Marshall and Fender are far from the only names out there so do some research and find out what amp brand would do the tone you're looking for.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
what tone are you actually looking for? you care to name any axemples?<
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Sorry, I was referring to the rhythm sections in Another Brick in the wall part II. It's a clean tone with a small amount of Electric Mistress flanging. It's a very bright clean tone if there is such a thing.
you want bright cleans than a strat is a good option
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
*sigh*. The Les Paul and Strat aren't the only guitars in the world. I'm sure with an Ibanez prestige or something and a good amp you could get your "360 degrees of tone" easily. And Marshall and Fender aren't the only amp brands in the world either.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Electric Eddy
Sorry, I was referring to the rhythm sections in Another Brick in the wall part II. It's a clean tone with a small amount of Electric Mistress flanging. It's a very bright clean tone if there is such a thing.

That is pretty much a strat sound but the right amp will also help a lot, chances are David was using a Hiwatt DR103 which would cost you a fair bit though

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by falconthefirst
*sigh*. The Les Paul and Strat aren't the only guitars in the world. I'm sure with an Ibanez prestige or something and a good amp you could get your "360 degrees of tone" easily. And Marshall and Fender aren't the only amp brands in the world either.

and i can turn around and say... Ibanez arent the only guitars in the world either
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
and i can turn around and say... Ibanez arent the only guitars in the world either

But they do tend to be very versatile in terms of tone what with most of them being HSH or having coil taps. It is still worth saying that other guitar brands also do that though.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I've never really considered any other type of guitar as I was led to believe that all guitars sound either like a Les Paul, or a strat or somewhere in between which is where the telecaster is positioned? Maybe I should broaden my horizons and look beyond the popular ones.
Quote by Electric Eddy
I've never really considered any other type of guitar as I was led to believe that all guitars sound either like a Les Paul, or a strat or somewhere in between which is where the telecaster is positioned? Maybe I should broaden my horizons and look beyond the popular ones.

What you're talking about it the fundamental difference between humbucker and single coil pickups but there are many other kinds of tones out there.

And the 'in between' sound you're talking about is more like a P-90 kind of sound; fatter than a single coil but twangier than a humbucker.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Electric Eddy

every guitar has a unique tone. and thats a fact. a gibson Les Paul will only sound like a Gibson Les Paul, but there are tonal differences between the same models because of the woods used. no two bodies sound the same.

same for a strat.

tele's have their own unique tone to them as well.

and yes, there are many companies out there. you're not limited to Fenders or Gibsons. there are many and just to name a few: Agile, Jackson, Kramer, Schecter, Ibanez, ESP, and many more. and the best part is that they'll all sound and feel different from each other.

you should go out and try to find the guitar you enjoy the feel and tone of for the genres of music that you play. you are not limited to just the 2 most popular companies in electric guitars. besides, the quality control at Gibson is really off balance and Fender keeps raising their prices. (not dissing them in any way)

/rant
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Interesting you should mention the P90. The solo on another brick in the wall part two was done on a Les Paul which was fitted with a P90. I didn't pick up any reference anywhere re the guitar used for the rhythm tracks. Maybe it was also the Les Paul with the P-90 pickups. BTW Who makes these pickups?
Quote by Electric Eddy
Interesting you should mention the P90. The solo on another brick in the wall part two was done on a Les Paul which was fitted with a P90. I didn't pick up any reference anywhere re the guitar used for the rhythm tracks. Maybe it was also the Les Paul with the P-90 pickups. BTW Who makes these pickups?

P-90s are another type of picking entirely, all kinds of companies make them from the big guys like Seymour Duncan to small companies like Bare Knuckle.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
middle pickup on a fender will get you closer. ease off on the processing and listen to the original again as your rhythm patterns are a bit random.
I tested a few amps today and the hiwatt custom is by far the best amp I've ever heard. I brought in my own Les Paul guitar as a benchmark and I found that the amp played more of a dominant role in the tone creation. Maybe it's just me but with the exception of extra buzzing the fender sounded more or less the same when using the neck pickups and middle pickups. The fender bridge pickup was too sharp sounding for my liking and I'm not sure I like the way the wammy bar moves down when a string is bent hard. Is this normal with a strat?

I might forget the strat and save up for the amp instead.
Quote by ldnovelo
what tone are you actually looking for? you care to name any "axe"-mples?<

_

TS, did you get this from that MF catalog a couple of months ago?

Cause it pretty much said the same thing...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
the current strat model and les paul sound nothing like what they used to. I tried a gibson SG once and it felt bad man, light as a feather. get yourself a gretsch, nothing sounds as good, best guitar in the world in my opinion.
I'm not sure about that, are you sure it was a Gibson SG and not a clone. If you want to spend 4k$ on a repro they sound very good but I think an 09 standard Les Paul or Strat are a great buy. I also think people focus too much on the type of guitar. Look at Kirk Cobain, he created great songs and great tone and he didn't care much about the quality of his guitars. He was happy playing cheap Univox guitars, although he did like his Mosrite all the same, but recorded great tracks using guitars the never stayed in tune.
Last edited by Electric Eddy at Sep 10, 2009,
I'm confused about what you're asking by "360 degrees of tone". What kind of sound are you looking for?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I suppose it's a confusing statement alright. What I'm really talking about is being able to get close enough to most guitar tones. I gave up trying to get the rhythm sound on the wall part II using a Les Paul. It just doesn't sound like the type of guitar that was used even after trying out different type of strings. I gave up on the end and hence they reason for posting. After playing a Les Paul for a long time I feel that it is better for heavy tones for rhythm, like it covers the bottom half the tone spectrum and to get the brighter tones (the other half) requires a different type of guitar / pickups / amp. The posts above confirmed this to some degree but the amp test I did opened my ears somewhat.
The sooner you realise you can't get every tone possible from one set up the better.

There's a reasons why people have more than 1 guitar.

Imo if you want a range of tones get a

Strat
Tele
Les Paul
RG
SG

Sure guitars can get close but if you want to nail that tone it comes at a price.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Electric Eddy
I'm not sure about that, are you sure it was a Gibson SG and not a clone. If you want to spend 4k$ on a repro they sound very good but I think an 09 standard Les Paul or Strat are a great buy. I also think people focus too much on the type of guitar. Look at Kirk Cobain, he created great songs and great tone and he didn't care much about the quality of his guitars. He was happy playing cheap Univox guitars, although he did like his Mosrite all the same, but recorded great tracks using guitars the never stayed in tune.

Speaking of Mosrite (And seeing how folks were talking about P90 pickups) Mosrite usually used P90 styled pickups that were overwound to 10 or 13k.

Also, Everything about a guitar alters its sound. Everything. The electronics are als an important part but when you compare them to everything else in a guitar they are just the end of a long trip. The neck and bridge, For example, Are critical parts for tone. If you have a cheap bridge that absorbs vibrations a lot (Like a brass bridge) Then you won't be getting the most tone that you could out of your instrument. You also won't be getting as much tone if your neck is set to maximum relief and feels like rubber, A good neck is stiff and straight, Maybe with some relief but not much.

Oh and for those who are reading this, Don't go adjusting your truss rods to the breaking point. Just adjust the neck for proper straightness but don't break the truss rod, There is such a thing as compression fretting which is also a big part of neckj stiffness and tone. If you would like to know more I'd recommend you buy Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair (Third Edition) Book. It is where I've been learning all of this.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Electric Eddy

...Que?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
He means reissued models (reproductions) like the a Gibson Custom 1960 LP or a Fender Custom Shop 1966 Strat
Quote by JELIFISH19
He means reissued models (reproductions) like the a Gibson Custom 1960 LP or a Fender Custom Shop 1966 Strat

That explains alot, the newer models aren't that good tbh

Also, Kirk cobain? XD
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Which Marshall tube amp do you own?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah