Focal Dystonia

The dystonias are movement disorders in which sustained muscle contractions cause twisting and abnormal postures.

What are the Causes

There are many various different causes. Some say it's neurological condition, but more recently, some have found that emotional or psychological issues may induce these muscular contractions. For instance, in the hand, the fingers curl inwards or extend outwards unwillingly, possibly due to excess tension brought about from playing an instrument with a negative, mental posture.

What are the Cures
Some have used botox injections to feed the target areas with botulinum toxin, thus blocking the release of acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction. This, though, has only been reported to calm the symptoms, not cure them.
Another option is to use therapeutic exercises to retrain the mind, similar to the way in which neuroplasticity works (an alternation of neurons in the mind due to new outward experiences) And this has been proven to work.
Patrick O'Brien, a musician from New York has developed particular methods to help retrain the sensorimotor in your mind. His work has helped fellow musicians who suffer from muscular spasms whilst playing an instrument.

Examples
The Development of a Guitarist Suffering from Focal Dystonia

--

And if anyone is interested, this series, albeit long, is a great explanation of the problem and gives examples of folks who have suffered from it, but overcame it with the correct cognitive processes. (I know it will take ages to watch it and is kinda boring at places, but I thought maybe you monkies might want something to stimulate your mind and heart a little)
Focal Dystonia - an Emotional Condition

--

My band, who I have been a part of for over to years, recently ended, as the two brothers, drummer and bassist, decided enough was enough. Ireland was becoming a dead country and Jon, the bassist, was still facing problems with his wrist that affected his playing abilities drastically. His nerves were often restless and uncontrollable, even around his best friends. And his playing went backwards. The more he practised, the worse it became.

This episode of the series mentioned above has an illustration and test you can do on yourself. It may not work for you personally, but there's no denying it's possible reaction.
Focal Dystonia Illustrated

What he is saying is, the more you focus on what on what is negative, the more the positive is pushed from your sights.
If you often concentrate on what you're doing wrong, you may be on a path that leads to over negativity and tension in your mind. And your mind, since it controls your muscular movements, tenses your body and it's ability to manoeuvre.

I personally have it, but it may be in a different form and it may not be known as Focal Dystonia - I haven't actually had it diagnosed. But, when I feel particularly anxious, depressed or upset, my body spasms uncontrollably. Almost like I am having a seizure. I have trained it so that I can actually evoke it without particular circumstances or emotions, just through the correct thinking. Which is a rather humorous (if a little weird) party trick.

I mentioned Focal Dystonia to a friend, and she said. "Is that a guitar technique?"
>>

<<

*leaves*
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
lolhuh
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Tl Dr?
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
Tl Dr?

Something about a zebra wanting to be an astronaut is what I got from it
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by due 07
Why are you telling us?
Why do you think?

Come on people, use your smarts and read!
So what you're saying is if you don't use it, you lose it. If you use it too much, it stays like that and you get spasms?

That stuff's pretty serious
I will read this tomorrow. It seems interesting. :wizard:
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Knowing is half the battle.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Why do you think?

Come on people, use your smarts and read!

I read it, now what? Am I supposed to care about this minor condition?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
I read it, now what? Am I supposed to care about this minor condition?
Yes you should you heartless bastard. I almost fell to tears when I watched the Flamenco guitarist struggling.

Apologies that my thread wasn't about sex, monkies, or toilet role.

Maybe there were people in UG who had this problem but knew little about it.
Quote by Venice King
Something about a zebra wanting to be an astronaut is what I got from it

I heard it was an antelope.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Yes you should you heartless bastard. I almost fell to tears when I watched the Flamenco guitarist struggling.

Yeah, I get that too....When I see someone with a real disability.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
Yeah, I get that too....When I see someone with a real disability.
Wow, that is an incredibly ignorant and obnoxious thing to say.
nope don't care
Quote by no_username
^wow, i like hotpunksk8rgirl more than i like you.

Quote by @zzasin
Go to hell Mr. Oven

Quote by bigwillie
You're risking a flaming at the hands of ovarian oven.
Quote by ovarian_oven
nope don't care
Yet, you post. Spam? Blast the monkey into space, maybe he'll have some use there.
Hmm it's interesting but I've never heard of it, it just looks like someone that needs to practice very very slowly rly.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club