im starting to learn ( in depth) about modes and obviously im starting with ionian

im just wondering what yall did to get comfortable and confident with the ionian scale
i am sick of running up and down it but im trying to break away from the muscle memory thing. because i love the blues, my fingers just naturally want to go to the pentatonic blues scale like muscle memory. i need more than just the blues!!!

so how do i make my natural reaction the ionian??
I hate to say it, but keep running up and down the neck. And do some improv too, make it more fun for you.
Start with the major pentatonic and add in the 4th and 7th?

Don't just practice scales straight up and down though - learn them in different patterns, and don't just practice them in one position - learn to play them single string, 3nps, 4nps, and every other which way you can think of - all in differnet patterns rather than just straight up and down. That way you're practicing something you might get to use, as you'll probably never run straight up and down a scale in real music.

Make sure you understand how to construct the major scale in terms of notes and intervals before you start getting into modes - modes can, like most scales you'll use, be derived from the nmajor scale. So learn the major scale and you've already done the hard work towards learning all the other scales and modes.
Just keep playing it, and when you're playing, try to anticipate the sounds you want, and then play what you want to hear. Also, make sure your playing all over the fretboard, not just in one position.
Quote by boobinski
im starting to learn ( in depth) about modes and obviously im starting with ionian

im just wondering what yall did to get comfortable and confident with the ionian scale
i am sick of running up and down it but im trying to break away from the muscle memory thing. because i love the blues, my fingers just naturally want to go to the pentatonic blues scale like muscle memory. i need more than just the blues!!!

so how do i make my natural reaction the ionian??

Well, 1st of all there is no need to refer to at as Ionian because it exists as the Major scale. it's good to be aware of the modal term, but I wouldn't focus on it as a "mode" because it offers you nothing new there...... it's all covered by the Major scale.

Now when you get into modes like dorian, lydian, mixolydian, & phrygian...
those modal scales offer some different colors.
Considering though that you are new to theory, I would highly recommend forgetting about modes for awhile and spend some quality time with the Major and minor scales 1st. I knew the modes are alluring, but you'll get more out of them when you are better prepared.

How to get comfortable and confident with the Major scale...

Listen to, learn, practice, compose.... melodies using the Major scale.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
Start with the major pentatonic and add in the 4th and 7th?

Don't just practice scales straight up and down though - learn them in different patterns, and don't just practice them in one position - learn to play them single string, 3nps, 4nps, and every other which way you can think of - all in differnet patterns rather than just straight up and down. That way you're practicing something you might get to use, as you'll probably never run straight up and down a scale in real music.

Make sure you understand how to construct the major scale in terms of notes and intervals before you start getting into modes - modes can, like most scales you'll use, be derived from the nmajor scale. So learn the major scale and you've already done the hard work towards learning all the other scales and modes.

what do you mean by "the major scale" could you tell me where you started with this concept

and 4th and 7th?? i have no idea what these are
i know im dense i aplologize
Last edited by boobinski at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by boobinski
what do you mean by "the major scale" could you tell me where you started with this concept

and 4th and 7th?? i have no idea what these are
i know im dense i aplologize
Not dense - just trying to run a marathon before you can walk

Take a look at these:http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=58DA70A2123C71CD&search_query=freepowerug

They are Freepower's bitesize music theory videos. They cover all the basics, including intervals and how to find them on your guitar neck.

Once you understand intervals, you can learn the major scale, and take it from there.
As far muscel memory. I play using my pinking. It's more natural and easier
when adding the 4th and 7th note..for me.

The pentatonic scale only has 5 notes.

The interval of ionian/major scale or diatonic scale in the key of C is your reference piont.

I choose to call it the diatonic scale becuase some people get really pickey
becuase a mixolian scale is also a major scale.

Most people or beginners call this reference piont scale as a major scale.

I also so a simple excercize of doing hammer/pull on if the 1/2 step notes
through out the entire neck. This increase my recognitions of the entire fret board.

I also do other excercises such as tapping with my picking hand(kind of like Stanley Jorden)
on all the strings. It helps me break out of playing in a single box pattern. It's also helps
me visually to identify note positions beyound the single box pattern.

I'm familar with the 5 pentatonic patterns that fits like a jig saw puzzel. I can do it in my sleep.
Adding the 4th and 7th back was relitively simple. I can do that in my sleep too.

Everything is first done in the key of C. Then it's just a matter of shuffling patterns
like a slide ruler to play in different keys.

As I progressed. I trained my ear of the various modes.
A mixolian is simply an Ionian with a flat 7th.
A Lydian mode is an Ionian with a sharp 4th...and so on and so forth with other modes.

I also trained my ears and fingering to distinguish between major and minors.
Playing the basic triads.
Minor modes or chords have a b3 or -3.

Then I build and extand on that.
Such as the harmomic minor is the just the aeolian mode with the 7th raise 1/2 pitch.

It's almost natural for me now to be able to identify the appegios of chords I'm soloing
over. I can't do it in my sleep yet. However I am more aware of them at various
position. Yeap, I had to take this process slow at first too.

I took music since I was a first grade. It was faster for me to transfer that knowlege
to the guitar's fretboard. Even then, it wasn't too easy for me.
No you're not dense.
Last edited by 12notes at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, 1st of all there is no need to refer to at as Ionian because it exists as the Major scale. it's good to be aware of the modal term, but I wouldn't focus on it as a "mode" because it offers you nothing new there...... it's all covered by the Major scale.

Now when you get into modes like dorian, lydian, mixolydian, & phrygian...
those modal scales offer some different colors.
Considering though that you are new to theory, I would highly recommend forgetting about modes for awhile and spend some quality time with the Major and minor scales 1st. I knew the modes are alluring, but you'll get more out of them when you are better prepared.

How to get comfortable and confident with the Major scale...

Listen to, learn, practice, compose.... melodies using the Major scale.

I'm going with munky;

You need to have that kind of experience, where you (intuitively) hear the difference between when something acts as a minor/ major scale, and when it does as a mode.

You must have that objective kind of hearing/analysis to know when something does not resolve to a major/minor key and when it doesn't

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??