hello my plan is to go to musician's institute if i can get the money

just wondering about your thoughts on wether i should get my general education and then go to MI fo my bachelors

or should i go to MI in the fall right out of high school and get an AA in performance

thanks for feedback!
Quote by boobinski
hello my plan is to go to musician's institute if i can get the money

just wondering about your thoughts on wether i should get my general education and then go to MI fo my bachelors

or should i go to MI in the fall right out of high school and get an AA in performance

thanks for feedback!

Well, your gen ed's have nothing to do with MI. It's not like you can transfer them like you would to a university.

What you should do is a decision only you can make, but as someone that has been to MI, I have to say that I don't recommend it.

If your parents have alot of money though, you could always give it a shot. Just remember the MI degree isn't going to make much, if any difference for getting a job or "making it big" as a musician.

If you can, try to do some research on the school. Make sure your sources aren't affiliated/funded by the school itself. Try to find out how many MI graduates make a living with music as a result of having gone to the school..... find out what kinds of jobs they have.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, your gen ed's have nothing to do with MI. It's not like you can transfer them like you would to a university.

What you should do is a decision only you can make, but as someone that has been to MI, I have to say that I don't recommend it.

If your parents have alot of money though, you could always give it a shot. Just remember the MI degree isn't going to make much, if any difference for getting a job or "making it big" as a musician.

If you can, try to do some research on the school. Make sure your sources aren't affiliated/funded by the school itself. Try to find out how many MI graduates make a living with music as a result of having gone to the school..... find out what kinds of jobs they have.

well the thing is that i dont care at all for the money a MI dergree can make me its the immersing yourself in music thing that i want.

i could take all of the best music courses all over the place but id rather take those classes at a state of the art recording studio essentially.

i could jam or record with new people every day that i went to MI!!

the making it big is not in my goals

i know its stupid but i come from a poor family (no money for college)
and i only want to go to MI to constantly play music with people who have the same passion for music that i have
Quote by boobinski

and i only want to go to MI to constantly play music with people who have the same passion for music that i have

You don't need to go to MI for that. I know it is appealing though. Sunny Hollywood, famous people everywhere, gangs selling crack on the corner (hehe ... it's true unfortunately).
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
You don't need to go to MI for that. I know it is appealing though. Sunny Hollywood, famous people everywhere, gangs selling crack on the corner (hehe ... it's true unfortunately).

to be honest i havent met a decent drummer in about 4 yrs and a good funky slappy bassist is impossible to find so the playing with passionate people thing is hard for me to find

also my whole family comes from SO_CAL so ive been there and understand the disgust
im not exited about living there im exited about music.
If your family is poor and you don't care about the money, why would you throw it away on something if you don't even care about what you could get out of it other than 'playing with other passionate people'? What will you do after it's all over and you have no money and no career path?
Quote by boobinski
to be honest i havent met a decent drummer in about 4 yrs and a good funky slappy bassist is impossible to find so the playing with passionate people thing is hard for me to find

also my whole family comes from SO_CAL so ive been there and understand the disgust
im not exited about living there im exited about music.

Okay well you seem pretty convinced that you should go there. I'm sure if you keep asking you'll find someone that will give you the answer you want to hear (though there is a good chance that they haven't actually been to the school). In good conscience I simply can't do that.

Good luck
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by timeconsumer09
If your family is poor and you don't care about the money, why would you throw it away on something if you don't even care about what you could get out of it other than 'playing with other passionate people'? What will you do after it's all over and you have no money and no career path?

well hopefully ill already have my career see im about to be a certified water traetment and distribution operator, hopefully that will be my first career and if that doesnt work hopefully ill be able to get a bachelors from MI and if both of those dont work than imm looking at beeing a firefighter or EMT
Quote by boobinski
well hopefully ill already have my career see im about to be a certified water traetment and distribution operator, hopefully that will be my first career and if that doesnt work hopefully ill be able to get a bachelors from MI and if both of those dont work than imm looking at beeing a firefighter or EMT

Well, it looks like you have it all figured out.
shred is gaudy music