So guys, my band is in need of a bass player, and instead of getting a new one, I (as one of the guitar players) want to get a doubleneck bass. So my question is, instead of buying a doubleneck bass, can I take a guitar, and bass, and link them together? I'm talking about cutting off the bottom section of the guitar and the top section of the bass and then either gluing them, or clamping them together as a doubleneck. Basically, i know it will work, but my question is, how many electronics will I displace if I cut say 4'6" off of each one? Thanks.
Quote by Ape_Natural
So guys, my band is in need of a bass player, and instead of getting a new one, I (as one of the guitar players) want to get a doubleneck bass. So my question is, instead of buying a doubleneck bass, can I take a guitar, and bass, and link them together? I'm talking about cutting off the bottom section of the guitar and the top section of the bass and then either gluing them, or clamping them together as a doubleneck. Basically, i know it will work, but my question is, how many electronics will I displace if I cut say 4'6" off of each one? Thanks.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/DoubleNecks/DoublePrecisionStrat.aspx
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Do you knwo how expensive a part by part doubleneck would be though? I am trying to keep a budget of like $450. (like 200 on the bass and 250 on the guitar)
Quote by Ape_Natural
Do you knwo how expensive a part by part doubleneck would be though? I am trying to keep a budget of like $450. (like 200 on the bass and 250 on the guitar)

Not to be funny mate but unless you're Stanley Jordan you're not going to be able to do both at once anyway, you NEED a bass player.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I am not going to do both at onece, but some songs that we have already have bass parts that I don't play guitar over, and the keyboard player will cover the rest. But we want as much authentic bass as possible.
Quote by Ape_Natural
I am not going to do both at onece, but some songs that we have already have bass parts that I don't play guitar over, and the keyboard player will cover the rest. But we want as much authentic bass as possible.

Well ok then, chop up a guitar and stick a cheap bass on it, play for a while and watch your speakers blow because they can't handle the frequencies involved. Or spend some extra money on a bass rig as well.

OR

You could find a bass player

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, it'd blow the amp.....

EDIT: wait, 2 sets of electronics, 2 input jacks, 2 amps. duh
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Yeah, it'd blow the amp.....

EDIT: wait, 2 sets of electronics, 2 input jacks, 2 amps. duh

Which means he'd need a gigging bass rig instead, that's not going to come cheap by any stretch.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Which means he'd need a gigging bass rig instead, that's not going to come cheap by any stretch.

I already have one. I was the one who bought the bass amp for the band anyways. And yeas, I plan on using two seperate cables and amps. I need to know strictly from a technical standpoint, will I need to reroute one of the instruments completely, or should it all work out?

PS- I know it is not practical, the practical thing to do is get a bass player, but we have been looking and we don't want to screw up the band's chemistry. Besides, I am thinking about how badass this thing will look, and its pretty sweet. Plus, if I wanted my band to be just like everyone elses, I would go out and buy a strat, get a bass player, and play barred chord progressions all day to cheesy melancholy lyrics. Keep in mind we have a keyboard player for bass support also.
Buddy, stop eyerolling and give some helpful advice, you prick.

I recommend going with the warmoth body, it will be fairly easy to do.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
i think your best plan would be to get a cheap bass. if you're ok with lugging around 2 sets of amps. a double neck isn't going to be light (or cheap) by any means. i'd just go grab an old used fender jazz or p-bass.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by Wulphy
Buddy, stop eyerolling and give some helpful advice, you prick.

I believe it's a bad idea, therefore what I consider to be good advice is "stop being so stupid and get a bass player".

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I believe it's a bad idea, therefore what I consider to be good advice is "stop being so stupid and get a bass player".

Well obviously he doesn't want to get a bass player. So, bad decision or otherwise, help him with it or get out.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
Well obviously he doesn't want to get a bass player. So, bad decision or otherwise, help him with it or get out.

Very well then.

The logistics of such an instrument would depend on which way round you were going to arrange the bodies, the bottom body wouldn't need any electrical re-arrangement but the top body, whatever it was, would need to have the electronics moved. I suppose if I were to do such a thing then I'd cut a pickguard to appropriate shape and route out the body so the output for the top body would come out near where the output for the bottom body is.

This would take a lot of work and such, if you're serious about it then I think you might very well be better off buying a body from Warmoth and taking the necks and hardware from your existing instruments (or cheap bass) and putting them on the body.

You just have to make sure that the scale lengths on the body match up and such.

Have fun with your probably foolish idea.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Very well then.

The logistics of such an instrument would depend on which way round you were going to arrange the bodies, the bottom body wouldn't need any electrical re-arrangement but the top body, whatever it was, would need to have the electronics moved. I suppose if I were to do such a thing then I'd cut a pickguard to appropriate shape and route out the body so the output for the top body would come out near where the output for the bottom body is.

This would take a lot of work and such, if you're serious about it then I think you might very well be better off buying a body from Warmoth and taking the necks and hardware from your existing instruments (or cheap bass) and putting them on the body.

You just have to make sure that the scale lengths on the body match up and such.

Have fun with your probably foolish idea.

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I'll photochop some guitars and basses together, brb
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Doesn't one of the guys from Cheap Trick have a 4 necked guitar? I believe the last neck is a fretless bass... Just saying...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Not to try to put a hitch into your view of what a band should consist of, but I just thought you should know that the last gig we played without a bass player (me on bass sacrificing my rhythm guitar part on two songs, and the keyboard player covering the rest) landed us a radio interview. So I think we are doing just fine without a bass player. (Not to mention that was 3 days after kicking the bass player out)

But as for the whole Idea, I;m not sure I am going to do it anymore, I think I might just buy a bass for now and further consider the logistics of the situation when I have a little more money to throw at the problem.
Quote by Ape_Natural
Not to try to put a hitch into your view of what a band should consist of, but I just thought you should know that the last gig we played without a bass player (me on bass sacrificing my rhythm guitar part on two songs, and the keyboard player covering the rest) landed us a radio interview. So I think we are doing just fine without a bass player. (Not to mention that was 3 days after kicking the bass player out)

But as for the whole Idea, I;m not sure I am going to do it anymore, I think I might just buy a bass for now and further consider the logistics of the situation when I have a little more money to throw at the problem.

Actually I just think you need something to fill out the low end of the sound, you're the one who was so intent on it being a bass in some parts that you were willing to hack up both a bass and a guitar originally.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually I just think you need something to fill out the low end of the sound, you're the one who was so intent on it being a bass in some parts that you were willing to hack up both a bass and a guitar originally.

lol, when you put it that way, it sounds really bad. But come on, think of how badass it would be to have two completely different guitars strapped to each other. I wasn't even going to glue them together, I was going to find some clips and make them detacheable. You can't tell me that wouldn't be different, eye catching, interesting, and badass.
Quote by Ape_Natural
lol, when you put it that way, it sounds really bad. But come on, think of how badass it would be to have two completely different guitars strapped to each other. I wasn't even going to glue them together, I was going to find some clips and make them detacheable. You can't tell me that wouldn't be different, eye catching, interesting, and badass.

I don't go for "different" and "eye catching", I go for things I like. I don't like the idea

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Its not an impossible project no. You would obviously have to relocate the upper instruments controls. Some guitars like strats and LPs dont have alot of extra space in the control compartment for extra stuff. My carvin has tons of extra room. You might go with concentric pots as it would be easier to keep the full controls for bass/guitar. And a switch to select bass or guitar going to a single output jack. Maybe an A/B box on the floor to select bass or guitar amp.

But no it wouldnt be hard to glue 2 guitars together like that you just wouldnt use your favorite guitar for this experiment. Be alot cheaper than a warmoth double neck body for sure.
I wouldn't do it. But it's possible.

However, I do think that the budget you have is not high enough at all.
I guess it'd work. I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as you had each one sent to a different amp.

If you want to jerry rig it that is.

I'd be worried that my shoddy worksmanship would fall apart onstage, lol.

If you're just gonna cut the top off of one guitar and the bottom off the other, and glue/screw them together... sure!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!